What are the top 3 wins in the Dark Ages (97-06)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just thought its good to sometimes look back on some of the best moments in a time that where we were not on top just to see how much we have came from having to settle for those 'signature' wins.

1.) 1999 @ Florida- I remember this was the game that noone said we would win because: Our coach is about to be fired, Spurrier, the Swamp, the streak, and the fact we lost to La Tech. It is one of the craziest games Ive ever seen. The moment I remember the most is Dubose punting with 3 minutes left and 1 TO, and what to you know the guy fumbles. Then it goes into overtime and they miss the PAT. Then we immediately score and miss a PAT, but UF was offsides so we kick again and win. My dad was so excited that he picked me and my then 2 year old sister and ran around the room. It was one of the most excited after a win ever

2.) 2001 Iron Bowl- I really think it was one of the most satisfying Iron Bowl wins ever. They came in thinking they had the west in the bag, and then ZOW!!! Zow played like a man that was filled up with someone that was going to show that he shouldve never been benched. Auburn had no answer, just excuses.

3.) 2002 Tennessee- I hate Tennessee, and after the NCAA gave us their ruling I really started to hate them. Busting the the Great Pumpkin and the streak was super sweet that night.

honorable mentions

2005 Tennessee- good game, and good seeing Shula beat them, but I saw up to the fumble before having to go to work so I never saw us win live.

1999 SECCG- it was great beating Spurrier twice in one year, but not as exciting as the first one

1999 Iron Bowl- First win at Jerking Hair, but all I remember about the game itself is us struggling most of the game and winning in the end.

2005 Florida- This aint Kentucky, but it was too bittersweet

2001 ISU- It was just exciting that we won after struggling so much. FWIW if you go to Ames then you will find out that they still havent let the FG issue go.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The only other game I can think of was when we slobber knocked LSU and CNS 31-0. I think it was 2002. Not sure how we pulled that one off. Your other games are the highlight games of a miserable 10 year stretch.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
1999 @Florida - After losing to LaTech, my younger self was not hopeful about this team then SA off left tackle happened. What a magical season despite coaching staff dysfunction.
2002 Tennessee - I loved this game. A lot of hate was purged out of the system that night.
2005 Florida - This was the first big win I experienced in person. Despite it becoming a qualified victory with the news of Prothro's injury after the game, it was quite the experience.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
1. 1999 at Florida. I would guess this would probably get the most votes. Florida was just about unbeatable down there back then, and to do this after that disaster against Louisiana Tech is pretty remarkable. Of course, we the week prior was actually against Arkansas, a team that had beaten us 42-6 the year before. That was a fairly exciting game that we won. I think the team, led by Alexander, Samuels, and Griffin took over after that La Tech loss and basically ran the team. All 3 of those guys were gone the next season.

2. 2001 at Auburn. That was a very satisfying beat down win. Galloway and Beard ran wild on them, and Zow had a fantastic game. I'm glad he was able to finish his career on that note.

3. 2002 at Arkansas. This is a wildcard. I could probably give a few others in this spot, but this one probably won't get mentioned all that much. If I'm not mistaken, we were a slight underdog going up there. They had just expanded their stadium and it was to be a record crowd. Watts had gotten hurt the week before, and Brodie Croyle was making his first career start. Ahmad Galloway had also gotten hurt the week or 2 before and he was out for the season (a damn shame, too, as this was his senior year). The place was rocking and then Shaud Williams went 80 for a TD on the smoke draw and the hogs went silent. Croyle had a really nice game, and Beard had some good runs as well. We won 30-12.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
99 at the Swamp has to be the far and away top win in that decade. Nothing else is even close.

Others on the list would have to be:
99 SECCG
01 Iron Bowl
02 Tennessee and LSU
05 Florida

I'd rank 03 Tennessee and 02 Georgia in the top three had we won them.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I have to say 1999 SECCG against Florida. It wasn't the most "exciting" game but it was so meaningful. Also Florida was so sure they would avenge their loss from earlier in the season.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It is special that our worst 10 year stretch included three 10 win seasons and a SEC Championship!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
99 at the Swamp has to be the far and away top win in that decade. Nothing else is even close.

Others on the list would have to be:
99 SECCG
01 Iron Bowl
02 Tennessee and LSU
05 Florida

I'd rank 03 Tennessee and 02 Georgia in the top three had we won them.
2002 Oklahoma was a good one as well. Frankly, 2003 Oklahoma was a one score game that turned on a fake punt by the Sooners. I re-watched that 2002 game the other day (until the last couple of minutes). We were a huge underdog. The game was at Norman. OU was one of the popular picks to win the NC. They had taken the game over by halftime and led 23-3. But we came back in the second half and dominated the game. We scored on a fake FG, a blocked punt, and an Ahmad Galloway TD run and led 24-23 at some point in the 4th quarter. The turning point of the comeback, IMO, was us having to settle for a FG with a few minutes left. On this drive, the play calling was atrocious and we ended up kicking the FG to lead 27-23. A 31-23 lead would have made a world of difference towards the outcome.

Oh well.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I would have to say 2001 Iron Bowl, 2005 Florida, 1998 LSU. These may not be the most vote-getters in this thread, but I remember all of them very fondly, especially the comback win vs LSU.
that lsu game is the reason i created my "maximum beer a quarter" rule while watching bama. i was driving home from work listening on the radio in the 3d quarter. i get home crack a beer and call my brother to wallow in misery with him, and down a 6-pack during the 4th quarter while hootin and hollerin

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have to say 1999 SECCG against Florida. It wasn't the most "exciting" game but it was so meaningful. Also Florida was so sure they would avenge their loss from earlier in the season.
I would put this on at #2 behind the reg season win at UF. The reason why is our defense was dominant and we held Spurrier's Fun and Gun offense to less than 200 yards. Not sure anyone else ever did that to a Spurrier coached team

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
2002 Oklahoma was a good one as well. Frankly, 2003 Oklahoma was a one score game that turned on a fake punt by the Sooners. I re-watched that 2002 game the other day (until the last couple of minutes). We were a huge underdog. The game was at Norman. OU was one of the popular picks to win the NC. They had taken the game over by halftime and led 23-3. But we came back in the second half and dominated the game. We scored on a fake FG, a blocked punt, and an Ahmad Galloway TD run and led 24-23 at some point in the 4th quarter. The turning point of the comeback, IMO, was us having to settle for a FG with a few minutes left. On this drive, the play calling was atrocious and we ended up kicking the FG to lead 27-23. A 31-23 lead would have made a world of difference towards the outcome.

Oh well.
Yeah. I was studying for an ENT exam at med school that weekend. Watched it on VHS tape later that night having stayed away from TV. Loved it down to the final two minutes and Watts's fumble.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was in architecture school through most of it. Since I paid my own way through college it took me longer than 5 years. I missed 97-04. The only game I saw from start to finish was 99 SEC Championship game. My roommates and I watched it, they were UGA fans and loved seeing "Darth Visor" get destroyed.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
2002 Tennessee- I was in college @ the time in West TN. I was only one of two Bama fans on my dorm room floor. They ragged us all week. Then we beat them. I posted the score on the dorm announcement board everyday for a week.

2001 AU- I had played in the second round of the HS playoffs @ Oak Grove the night before. We won (I kicked the game winning FG in OT; we won 3-0). Then we killed AU on Saturday. Just an all round great weekend. It must be noted I missed one as time ran out and the game ended 0-0. So it wasn't perfect [emoji12].

1999 UF in the Swamp- I was at the La Tech game the week before and thought the season was done for after they beat us on a Hail Mary. Went from a low to a high in one week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Hard for me to remember much of anything other than the fact we wondered in the wilderness. It was a time we hoped we would win a game. (We did win some) We lacked what it takes to consistently win. IT WAS AN ERA OF ALMOST WON GAMES, It was an era where teams wanted to schedule us for homecoming. It was an era when we lacked the conditioning, and lacked the game plans to win. It was an era when our guys sometimes lacked the discipline to win.

When Coach Saban showed up, I thought he might be tough enough to lead us out of the wilderness. Year 1 under Coach Saban, we had a number of guys who didn't buy into the Process.
It cost us. Later that year we witnessed the Recruiting machine get cranked up under Coach Saban. Suddenly guys bought in and we became a team to be reckoned with. We no longer went into a game hoping we could pull out a win. Suddenly our guys looked ripped and owned the other teams.
Then... HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN. A new Dynasty began.

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Gotta be 2002 Tennessee for me is the best. I still get a mean grin and shake my head up and down (yes) when I think of that game. :wink: Then 2001 the Barn, and finally, 1999 the Gators.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.