Not one child is proficient in state tests in 6 Baltimore schools

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Speaking of Baltimore, what ever happened to gmart?

gmart added a lot to the discussion. He sent me a pm a long while ago. Said he was going on to other things. I know he was building a house. I miss him and quite a few others. Didn't agree with any of them but it was still fun.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
gmart added a lot to the discussion. He sent me a pm a long while ago. Said he was going on to other things. I know he was building a house. I miss him and quite a few others. Didn't agree with any of them but it was still fun.
I don't make up for their absence?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I don't make up for their absence?[/QUOTE]

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. You part of the family here 1986. After reading a post of yours I feel like a genius in comparison.:tongue: If we were all the same here how boring that would be!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
On the sad but serious front, I've thought for a long time tha this is partially the unintended consequence of women in the business world.

I had a battle-axe math teacher in high school. Anybody who went to Tuscaloosa High School between 1965 and the last year of THS in 1979 will remember Martha B. Howell.

I worked my tail off for steadily declining grades in her calculus class. In consecutive six weeks, I made A, A, B+ (A- for the first semester), B+, B+, C+ (B+ for the second semester, thanks to an A on the final).

I cussed that woman daily...To my embarrassment today, I even shot her the bird behind her back.

Then I took the ACT and SAT, and knocked them out of the park. Arrived in Chapel Hill, where I spent my freshman year competing against graduates of the most prestigious prep schools on the eastern seaboard. And I didn't see anything at UNC that I hadn't seen before, twice as hard, with half the time to finish.

Ran those preppies into the ground.

From Tusca-freaking-loosa High School, courtesy of Martha B. Howell.

Same thing in the second calculus at UA. I was halfway through the third calculus before I run into something Mrs. Howell hadn't already taught me...three years before, in public high school.

So what's my point here?

First, that, if Marth B. Howell had been born 30-40 years later, she'd have been an engineer or IT guru, making mid six figures. Second, that the decline of women possessing that caliber of mind in the ranks of teachers has a cost way beyond the earnings these women rightly deserve.

In her day, such options weren't available. Women with her mental abilities were either teachers or nurses. Fortunately for me, Mrs. Howell was a math teacher who kicked my ... for 36 weeks.

So I got to cruise for three years, got 12 semester hours of easy As, and foundation in critical thinking I use every day.

I not saying these women don't deserve everything their minds will permit. They absolutely do.

I'm saying that the compensation system for teachers is still built on a set of assumptions that hasn't been valid in 40 years, and that as a tax base, we reap what we sow.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
On the sad but serious front, I've thought for a long time tha this is partially the unintended consequence of women in the business world.

I had a battle-axe math teacher in high school. Anybody who went to Tuscaloosa High School between 1965 and the last year of THS in 1979 will remember Martha B. Howell.

I worked my tail off for steadily declining grades in her calculus class. In consecutive six weeks, I made A, A, B+ (A- for the first semester), B+, B+, C+ (B+ for the second semester, thanks to an A on the final).

I cussed that woman daily...To my embarrassment today, I even shot her the bird behind her back.

Then I took the ACT and SAT, and knocked them out of the park. Arrived in Chapel Hill, where I spent my freshman year competing against graduates of the most prestigious prep schools on the eastern seaboard. And I didn't see anything at UNC that I hadn't seen before, twice as hard, with half the time to finish.

Ran those preppies into the ground. From Tusca-freaking-loosa High School.

Same thing in the second calculus at UA. I was halfway through the third calculus before I run into something Mrs. Howell hadn't already taught me...three years before, in public high school.

So what's my point here?

First, that, if Marth B. Howell had been born 30-40 years later, she'd have been an engineer or IT guru, making mid six figures. Second, that the decline of women possessing that caliber of mind in the ranks of teachers has a cost way beyond the earnings these women rightly deserve.

In her day, those options weren't available. Women with her mental abilities were teachers or nurses. Fortunately for me, Mrs. Howell was a math teacher who kicked my ... for 36 weeks, so I got to cruise for three years.

I not saying these women don't deserve everything their minds will permit. They absolutely do.

I'm saying that the compensation system for teachers is still built on a set of assumptions that hasn't been valid in 40 years, and that as a tax base, we reap what we sow.
That sounds like Ms. Rawlins and Mrs. Kuemerle from Shaw High in Mobile.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
They're giving out MBA's like candy at Halloween on the college level. I was a part of an interview panel to hire a Sr. Accountant. Before entering the interview the candidate had to complete a BASIC "Accounting 101" 10 problem test. Should have been a breeze for an accountant with any sort of experience. For someone with their MBA they should have been able to do it with their eyes closed.

We interviewed approximately 10 candidates. Four which had MBA's. ALL FOUR, literally ALL FOUR, failed the test. They were automatically eliminated from consideration. Granted, we went ahead with their interviews, like nothing was "wrong". But it was nothing more than a formality. I'm hearing more and more of this from my accounting management peers. My wife being an educator on the elementary level, she can attest to the watering down of the public educational system. So it's starting at the elementary level and working its way up.
What kinds of questions were on this Accounting 101 quiz?

As an MBA, if I were going into business for myself, one of the first things I would do is retain an accountant specifically to deal with accounting, but I would expect to understand all the concepts we would ever discuss.

An accounting degree is not a prerequisite of an MBA, and I would never consider myself qualified to be an accountant, much less a senior accountant.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

As an MBA, if I were going into business for myself, one of the first things I would do is retain an accountant specifically to deal with accounting, but I would expect to understand all the concepts we would ever discuss.

An accounting degree is not a prerequisite of an MBA.
"Accounts Receivable has a debit/credit balance." Circle one please.

*All candidates for the job were required to have an accounting degree.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013

An accounting degree is not a prerequisite of an MBA, and I would never consider myself qualified to be an accountant, much less a senior accountant.
Sounds like the position was for a Senior Accountant. MBA or not, they should be pretty good at accounting stuff.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/about/by_the_numbers

City Schools at a Glance

(updated: January 20, 2017)

2016-17 Student enrollment: 82,354 total

• 44,082 students in pre-k to grade 5
  • 16,891 students in grades 6 to 8
  • 21,381 students in grades 9 to 12
2016-17 Student demographics

• 80.6 percent African American; 7.9 percent White; 9.4 percent Hispanic/Latino
  • 64.7 percent low income (based on eligibility for programs including Medicaid, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance; City Schools provides free breakfast and lunch to all students and no longer collects applications for free and reduced-price meals)
  • 5.6 percent English language learner
  • 14.8 percent student with disabilities

I guess the affluent have mostly fled the city schools.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.