Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Mrs. Basket Case and I are finishing up three seasons of Babylon Berlin on Netflix. It's a detective story with a backdrop of the political unrest in late 1920s Berlin -- Weimar supporters, Communists, Nazis and Monarchists all vying for power.

Throw in an organized crime contingent (my favorite character is The Armenian), and who's doing what to whom and why can require some thought....plus, they don't always tell you why a given event is happening.

Good characters, all with strengths and flaws. Really complex plot.

Due to sex and violence, it's not for kids. Neither is graphic, but you would be uncomfortable watching it with anyone under 18.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Vera -- Amazon and some on BritBox -- a Welsh Columbo...

Silent Witness -- London based crime drama -- pathology centered...very cerebral with many, many different threads in each episodes. Warning: Each story takes 2 episodes (@1 hour each.)

Also -- start with the latest season and work back...the last 4-5 years are much better than the first ones.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For some of the wrestling fans or true crime fans, VICE did a two part documentary on Chris Benoit. Its free on YouTube, and its pretty well done.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I'm a big fan of period series. Particularly British post-Revolution stuff, Victorian, etc. We have the PBS Masterpiece add-on.

Some series we've watched over time and love:

AMAZON PRIME
- Poldark (AWESOME)
- Sanditon
- Beecham House
- Jamestown
- Wolf Hall
- Victoria
- Indian Summers

NETFLIX
- Turn
- Medici
- The Crown
- The English Game
- The Physician (this is also a great book)

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am currently watching The Leftovers on HBO. Very different kind of "left behind" story line.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re-watching Ozark Season 1 & 2 because I forgot what happened. Will watch season 3 after that.
Funny you should mention that because I just signed up with Netflix to watch that one. Heard there were some good chest footages. :)

I'm through season 4 of "Bosch" and also started watching "Band of Brothers" again. Just finished the 2nd episode: "Days of Days". Just amazing....

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Just watched Sour Grapes on Amazon Prime. It’s a documentary on the biggest wine fraud in history.

Really interesting, even if you’re not into wine. There are some truly obnoxious wine snobs that come off just that way. Some Hollywood types, complete with sunglasses indoors, a 4-day scraggle, and the depth of a mud puddle. There’s a young venture capitalist who unintentionally advertises himself as the snot I’m sure he is as he pontificates on vintages of Champagne.

Bill Koch comes off as being as down-to-earth as a billionaire can be, and surprisingly willing to admit that he too got swindled.

The swindler is in jail now, and there are still a lot of unknowns about him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just watched Sour Grapes on Amazon Prime. It’s a documentary on the biggest wine fraud in history.

Really interesting, even if you’re not into wine. There are some truly obnoxious wine snobs that come off just that way. Some Hollywood types, complete with sunglasses indoors, a 4-day scraggle, and the depth of a mud puddle. There’s a young venture capitalist who unintentionally advertises himself as the snot I’m sure he is as he pontificates on vintages of Champagne.

Bill Koch comes off as being as down-to-earth as a billionaire can be, and surprisingly willing to admit that he too got swindled.

The swindler is in jail now, and there are still a lot of unknowns about him.
Watched that a few weeks ago. I had no idea.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Just watched a doc style show on the music that came out of laurel canyon area of LA in the mid 60s. Good stuff for someone who graduated high school in 69. Produced by Bob Dylan’s son. Great music.

Reactions: Bazza

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Started watching Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime. Pretty cool.

I saw that Amazon Prime has the documentary Shut Up Little Man. Seen it before - its hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.