Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime) - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Suspended

Re: Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    I almost included "Five Came Back" and "The Last Kingdom"
    I enjoy Barnard Cornwell's books for what they are, though I haven't read any of the books the series is based on. Both are solid shows.
    I like The Last Kingdom as well. But Vikings, which I discovered on Amazon Prime, is much much better in my opinion.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

We love all Brit mysteries - Shetland is another worth watching. Watched an episode of Wallander last night.

Saw an episode of Bosch on Prime and really liked it - terrific cast with Titus Welliver and Jamie Hector. That may be the next show we pursue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    We love all Brit mysteries - Shetland is another worth watching. Watched an episode of Wallander last night.

Saw an episode of Bosch on Prime and really liked it - terrific cast with Titus Welliver and Jamie Hector. That may be the next show we pursue.

Shetland is another good one as is Wallander (starring Kenneth Branagh).

As a note, PBS has the first 3 seasons of The Inspector Lynley Mysteries available for streaming on its website at no cost. I've read all of Elizabeth George's Lynley novels, and the TV series is a good adaptation.
    Last edited by Tide1986; June 26th, 2017 at 03:15 PM.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    I like The Last Kingdom as well. But Vikings, which I discovered on Amazon Prime, is much much better in my opinion.
    WAY better show. The lead in Vikings is head and shoulders above the guy in Last Kingdom.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Suspended

While we're still on British mystery series, I also recommend the Inspector Morse series available on Netflix. The series is based on the books by Colin Dexter. I also recommend the prequel series, Endeavour, which is available on Amazon Instant Video (Seasons 1 and 2 are Prime; Season 3 is not).

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    WAY better show. The lead in Vikings is head and shoulders above the guy in Last Kingdom.
    Most of the characters are generally better (e.g. Lagertha, Floki, Athelstan).

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

If you like British humor watch IT Crowd.

I've found tons of stuff on Netflix but drawing a blank on most of it right now. Will try to look around and see what I can remember later. I will add another point for Luther.

The 4 episode miniseries Run on Netflix is a good British drama (some Lenny James acting goodness thrown in).
    Last edited by MattinBama; June 26th, 2017 at 04:23 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

"River" on Netflix was great. Stellan Skarsgard

We also binged "Longmire" and "The Killing"

Also enjoyed "The Travelers" with Will from Will and Grace
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    "River" on Netflix was great. Stellan Skarsgard

We also binged "Longmire" and "The Killing"

Also enjoyed "The Travelers" with Will from Will and Grace
    I've seen "River" as well. Loved the twist on "The Sixth Sense". It really is excellent. Thanks for jogging my memory.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaTide View Post
    Recently, I have really enjoyed the following, all on Netflix:

1) Five Came Back - A look at Capra, Ford, Huston, Stevens, and Wyler's impact on WWII documentary films. Super interesting and deep on how the filmmakers still tried to use their talents while shooting WWII documentaries.

2) The Last Kingdom - Series set in pre-1066 England, and use a lot of the same towns/names/figures that dominated England at the time. Kind of a more tame version of Game of Thrones, but set in England, and based on The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell.

3) The Boys of '36 - Short documentary based off the book by the same title. It's about the University of Washington men's rowing team from 1936. The book was written by Daniel James Brown. The book and this documentary are great.

4) Nuremberg: Nazis on Trial - Documentary/historical drama covering the Nuremberg Trials after WWII.
    Haven't seen The Boys of '36, but have read the book on the same subject: The Boys In The Boat, by Laura Hillenbrand.

Highly recommended, and absolutely inspiring. Reminder of what made the Greatest Generation, the greatest.

The stories of the coxswain Bobby Moch, and the lead oar, Joe Rantz, will embarrass most of us who complaining about our first-world problems [blush!]. I also liked the story of Don Hume, who was really, really sick in the days before anti-biotics and anti-viral drugs. He pulled out a superhuman effort. He was so sick, I doubt he remembered much about it.

The story of the boatbuilder, George Pocock, is inspiring in its own way. He wasn't a highly talented crewman, but he was the original Wood Whisperer. I have no doubt that, without the advent of fiberglass, there would still be a craft builder of crew boats with his name on it.

The conflict between the UDub coach, Al Ulbrickson, and the Cal-Berkeley coach, Ky Ebright, is also fascinating.

I understand there's a movie coming, but that it's run into all-too-common childish Hollywood back and forth.

Read the book. You don't need anything more than what your own mind will imagine.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; June 26th, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Linley and Morse are both off Netflix for now.

Foyle's War is up - very much worth watching.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

This isn't Netflix or Amazon Prime, but I know how you guys like your documentaries. There is one I watched on HBOGo called, "Mommy Dead and Dearest".

It is a very creepy and fascinating documentary about a daughter who killed her Mother. The Mother made the daughter believe her whole life that she was disabled and ill. This caused a lot of mental anguish and physical pain to the daughter.

I won't give away too many details, but it is worth a watch.
    Last edited by TideMom2Boys; June 26th, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Roll Tide

Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Penny Dreadful is now on Netflix. I watched that when it was on Showtime. It brings a lot of the classic late 19th-century monsters and villains into one story (Victor Frankenstein & his monster, Dr. Jeckyll, Dorian Gray, Dracula, and a werewolf come to mind). Thankfully it never gets as silly as True Blood and it has Eva Green. I'd watch her read the phone book. It's pretty heavy on sex, violence, and gore, so it's not for everyone

The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime has been pretty good. It's another Axis won WWII stories, but it's done much better than most. This show could be shown early prime time on a major network without edits.

But the best is Ash vs. Evil Dead. I'm buying these seasons off Amazon because they're so worth it. It is available if you have a Starz subscription. I love pretty much anything Bruce Campbell is in, and he's on top of his game here. There's some language and very over-the-top gore to the point it's comical. Season 2 features Lee Majors as Ash's father and it's brilliant.

Edit: I would have recommended Bloodline on Netflix, but they really botched the ending. It's too bad because it was really well done and Ben Mendelsohn played the bitter brother perfectly.
    Last edited by BamaSC; June 26th, 2017 at 10:47 PM.