Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime) - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Re: Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    This isn't Netflix or Amazon Prime, but I know how you guys like your documentaries. There is one I watched on HBOGo called, "Mommy Dead and Dearest".

It is a very creepy and fascinating documentary about a daughter who killed her Mother. The Mother made the daughter believe her whole life that she was disabled and ill. This caused a lot of mental anguish and physical pain to the daughter.

I won't give away too many details, but it is worth a watch.
    Mommy Dead and Dearest was so surreal that it almost needs to be seen twice to be believed. I 2nd your motion that if anyone has the ability to watch it then they absolutely should.
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSC View Post
    Penny Dreadful is now on Netflix. I watched that when it was on Showtime. It brings a lot of the classic late 19th-century monsters and villains into one story (Victor Frankenstein & his monster, Dr. Jeckyll, Dorian Gray, Dracula, and a werewolf come to mind). Thankfully it never gets as silly as True Blood and it has Eva Green. I'd watch her read the phone book. It's pretty heavy on sex, violence, and gore, so it's not for everyone

The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime has been pretty good. It's another Axis won WWII stories, but it's done much better than most. This show could be shown early prime time on a major network without edits.

But the best is Ash vs. Evil Dead. I'm buying these seasons off Amazon because they're so worth it. It is available if you have a Starz subscription. I love pretty much anything Bruce Campbell is in, and he's on top of his game here. There's some language and very over-the-top gore to the point it's comical. Season 2 features Lee Majors as Ash's father and it's brilliant.

Edit: I would have recommended Bloodline on Netflix, but they really botched the ending. It's too bad because it was really well done and Ben Mendelsohn played the bitter brother perfectly.
    i'll have to check out ash vs. evil dead. when i was traveling last month, i caught evil dead 3 on one of the movie channels at about 1 in the morning. bruce campbell is awesome in that kind of role

we have been watching bloodline, but it really seems to be falling apart in the third season.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i'll have to check out ash vs. evil dead. when i was traveling last month, i caught evil dead 3 on one of the movie channels at about 1 in the morning. bruce campbell is awesome in that kind of role

we have been watching bloodline, but it really seems to be falling apart in the third season.
    I'm a big fan of Kyle Chandler but "Bloodline" was always a bit cloying to me. I also could never get into "Damages" which was also created by the showrunners of "Bloodline."
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    I'm a big fan of Kyle Chandler but "Bloodline" was always a bit cloying to me. I also could never get into "Damages" which was also created by the showrunners of "Bloodline."
    its one of those shows where my wife and i both thought it would have been great if it ended in one season, maybe 2.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation First Team HELENKELLERMRI's Avatar

Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Really like house of cards. Liked bloodline but it nose dived. Stranger things is great. I have started watching the fall. It seems very good but not sure about it yet. Me and my kids like the show the 100. I think it's actually a cw show though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

For comedies Master of None and Love are both really good Netflix originals.

Just finished watching 13 Reasons Why with the wife. It's VERY teenagery but was pretty solid as well - it held my attention with some pretty good young actors and a bit of mystery. It may have helped that we just watched a documentary in the past year about a similar topic.
    Last edited by MattinBama; June 27th, 2017 at 07:36 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Dark on Netflix

German show that is really well made & interesting. You can watch it dubbed in English but I ended up turning it to German audio with subtitles. When the mouths & audio don't sync up it drives me crazy.

Had watched the first three and then talked the wife into catching. 7 episodes later today we're just about done with the season.

If you have any interest in time traveling & shows with lots of mysterious threads to follow you'd likely love it.

I feel like I need my own cork board up detective style at times trying to track things but in the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    For comedies Master of None and Love are both really good Netflix originals.

Just finished watching 13 Reasons Why with the wife. It's VERY teenagery but was pretty solid as well - it held my attention with some pretty good young actors and a bit of mystery. It may have helped that we just watched a documentary in the past year about a similar topic.
    we just got through watching love. thought it was great.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I have finally gotten around to watching Stranger Things. I am halfway through the first season.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I have finally gotten around to watching Stranger Things. I am halfway through the first season.
    What do you think? I enjoyed the first season. I just need to finish the second season. I lost interest after the first episode of the second season.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    What do you think? I enjoyed the first season. I just need to finish the second season. I lost interest after the first episode of the second season.
    I like it so far. It has a very Stephen King-y feel to it.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Since this thread was just resurrected from the abyss, siap, anybody checking out Mindhunter.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Really enjoyed The Crown. Also really like The Last Kingdom. Looking forward to season 3 of each one this year.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk