Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Since this thread was just resurrected from the abyss, siap, anybody checking out Mindhunter.
Thank you for reminding me about this show. I really wanted to see it, but then I forgot.
We are really looking forward to the second season of Ozark. It's filmed around here, and my wife is thinking about trying to get our kids on as extras.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
+1 for Ozark. Looking forward to the second season as well.

Black Mirror is another one I really enjoyed. An anthology with current or near future technological aspects, almost like a “modern day” Twilight Zone, that just released season 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Thank you for reminding me about this show. I really wanted to see it, but then I forgot.
We are really looking forward to the second season of Ozark. It's filmed around here, and my wife is thinking about trying to get our kids on as extras.
I've been itching to dig into Ozark for a while but we're trying to catch up on our back log of shows. Binging Dark wasn't supposed to be on the list it just sort of happened after I watched a couple on my own.

We did finish Dark up last night - the wife ended up watching 9 1/2 episodes in one day, lol. We've only really watched that many of one show in a short time frame with Stranger Things. Now to begin the wait on season 2.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
1922 on Netflix (movie) was solid and worth at least one watch as well. Another Stephen King novella movie with Thomas Jane.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Toys That Made Us is on Netflix. 4 part documentary series about toys a lot of us grew up with. Have only watched the first episode but it was pretty well done. All about Kenner & the Star Wars toys.

There's also one about Barbie, GI Joe, and IIRC He-Man. Hoping to get to the rest of them pretty soon.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I'm really impressed with the quality of original TV shows on these streaming networks.
Seconding these in particular:

Amazon
Sneaky Pete

Netflix
Stranger Things
Mindhunter
Black Mirror

I am sure there are more.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
I haven't read through this thread, so I'm probably duplicating some of what others have posted. On Amazon, Sneaky Pete,
The Americans, Rome and Orphan Black. On Netflix, The Crown, Black Mirror, Happy Valley (The BBC crime show, not the documentary on the penn state scandal), Broadchurch, River, Paranoid, The Five (the last five are all Brit crime shows, I'm a sucker for this category), Turn, Mindhunter, Ozark (I'm not as thrilled with it as others, its pretty derivative of Breaking Bad, but very good acting makes it pretty good), Jessica Jones, first three seasons of Orange Is the New Black (writers turned over for fourth season and it wasn't nearly as good), first two seasons of House of Cards. Oh, and the movie Mudbound. I wasn't that into Stranger Things, but everyone else in my family loved it.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
I haven't read through this thread, so I'm probably duplicating some of what others have posted. On Amazon, Sneaky Pete,
The Americans, Rome and Orphan Black. On Netflix, The Crown, Black Mirror, Happy Valley (The BBC crime show, not the documentary on the penn state scandal), Broadchurch, River, Paranoid, The Five (the last five are all Brit crime shows, I'm a sucker for this category), Turn, Mindhunter, Ozark (I'm not as thrilled with it as others, its pretty derivative of Breaking Bad, but very good acting makes it pretty good), Jessica Jones, first three seasons of Orange Is the New Black (writers turned over for fourth season and it wasn't nearly as good), first two seasons of House of Cards. Oh, and the movie Mudbound. I wasn't that into Stranger Things, but everyone else in my family loved it.
I forgot to include The Fall on Netflix. Irish crime mystery, with Gillian Anderson from the X Files.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
There may have been a thread like this sometime in the past, but if so, it has long since disappeared into the abyss of the new search function.

I'm a bit of an Anglophile, so the two gems that I'm going to mention are of course British in origin.

(1) The Fall starring Gillian Anderson among others. This is a very intense crime series about a serial killer (available on Netflix). What is so cool about this series is that you see the story from both perspectives: the serial killer and the police officer leading the investigation. It is so creepy to see the serial killer in his "normal" life vis-a-vis the hunt and murder of his next victim.

(2) Broadchurch starring David Tennant among others. You may have seen this show when it aired on BBC America back in 2013, but I didn't see it until finding it on Netflix. Also, Fox did a U.S. version of this series called Gracepoint, which apparently did not live up to the quality of its British parent. Broadchurch Series 1 is the best. I've also watched Series 2 but not Series 3, which recently aired in the U.K. The crime story is compelling, emotions run high, and the ending is quite surprising. This show is intense, but not in the same way as The Fall. The intensity comes from the emotionality of the story. The detective work is also very interesting.

I highly recommend both of these series, especially if you have any interest in crime dramas.
If you like those, you will love Happy Valley (the BBC crime show, not the documentary on the Penn State scandal that is also on Netflix). You might also like River and The Five, also on Netflix.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Here's what I've recently burned though on Netflix:

Dark - Really great show if you liked 'Stranger Things' and 'IT' and anything having to do with Time Travel.

Alias Grace - FANTASTIC period piece show based on a book by the same writer of the 'Handmaid's Tale' on Hulu.

Mindhunter - Awesome if you like seeing the FBI trying to get inside the head's of Serial Killers (give it 2-3 episodes to get going though)

The Crown - This show is AMAZING if you have any kind of interest in the Royal Family and British Politics.

Black Mirror - It's a modern day Sci-Fi Twilight Zone type show and it's really really good.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Based on some recommendations here I have been checking some of these out
Mindhunter - very good, finished all episodes available
Ozark - OK so far but some writing plays a little too loosely with reality but will continue watching
SMILF - Watched a couple of episodes and not hooked yet. On hold for awhile
Black Mirror - Looking forward to start after Ozark

I believe all of Breaking Bad is still available on Netflix so if you haven't watched it yet, do it first.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
finally ran through the thread and I'll add a few

On Netflix - American Vandal - short mocumentary series about vandalism at an American High School, one of the funniest series I've seen in year and not for kids

Black Mirror - Mentioned elsewhere - Great

The Toys that Made Us - real documentary on the toys of the 70's and up, GI Joe, Star Wars, Barbie, He-Man, etc very well done

Star Wars the Clone Wars - not made for Netflix but great nonetheless does a much better job of spelling out Anikin's fall to the dark side

Voltron - very well revival of the classic Japanese series

Amazon

The Tick - well done new live action version of a classic from the 90's cartoon and live action series

Mr Robot - season 3 is on now. 1-2 phenomenal

Hulu

FX Series Fargo and Legion both are great TV by the same guy Noah Hawley who's work I am loving

The Handmaids Tale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.