Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime) - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueguitar View Post
    I haven't read through this thread, so I'm probably duplicating some of what others have posted. On Amazon, Sneaky Pete,
    The Americans, Rome and Orphan Black. On Netflix, The Crown, Black Mirror, Happy Valley (The BBC crime show, not the documentary on the penn state scandal), Broadchurch, River, Paranoid, The Five (the last five are all Brit crime shows, I'm a sucker for this category), Turn, Mindhunter, Ozark (I'm not as thrilled with it as others, its pretty derivative of Breaking Bad, but very good acting makes it pretty good), Jessica Jones, first three seasons of Orange Is the New Black (writers turned over for fourth season and it wasn't nearly as good), first two seasons of House of Cards. Oh, and the movie Mudbound. I wasn't that into Stranger Things, but everyone else in my family loved it.
    I forgot to include The Fall on Netflix. Irish crime mystery, with Gillian Anderson from the X Files.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    There may have been a thread like this sometime in the past, but if so, it has long since disappeared into the abyss of the new search function.

I'm a bit of an Anglophile, so the two gems that I'm going to mention are of course British in origin.

(1) The Fall starring Gillian Anderson among others. This is a very intense crime series about a serial killer (available on Netflix). What is so cool about this series is that you see the story from both perspectives: the serial killer and the police officer leading the investigation. It is so creepy to see the serial killer in his "normal" life vis-a-vis the hunt and murder of his next victim.

(2) Broadchurch starring David Tennant among others. You may have seen this show when it aired on BBC America back in 2013, but I didn't see it until finding it on Netflix. Also, Fox did a U.S. version of this series called Gracepoint, which apparently did not live up to the quality of its British parent. Broadchurch Series 1 is the best. I've also watched Series 2 but not Series 3, which recently aired in the U.K. The crime story is compelling, emotions run high, and the ending is quite surprising. This show is intense, but not in the same way as The Fall. The intensity comes from the emotionality of the story. The detective work is also very interesting.

I highly recommend both of these series, especially if you have any interest in crime dramas.
    If you like those, you will love Happy Valley (the BBC crime show, not the documentary on the Penn State scandal that is also on Netflix). You might also like River and The Five, also on Netflix.

BamaNation Hall of Fame tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Here's what I've recently burned though on Netflix:

Dark - Really great show if you liked 'Stranger Things' and 'IT' and anything having to do with Time Travel.

Alias Grace - FANTASTIC period piece show based on a book by the same writer of the 'Handmaid's Tale' on Hulu.

Mindhunter - Awesome if you like seeing the FBI trying to get inside the head's of Serial Killers (give it 2-3 episodes to get going though)

The Crown - This show is AMAZING if you have any kind of interest in the Royal Family and British Politics.

Black Mirror - It's a modern day Sci-Fi Twilight Zone type show and it's really really good.

Based on some recommendations here I have been checking some of these out
    Mindhunter - very good, finished all episodes available
    Ozark - OK so far but some writing plays a little too loosely with reality but will continue watching
    SMILF - Watched a couple of episodes and not hooked yet. On hold for awhile
    Black Mirror - Looking forward to start after Ozark

I believe all of Breaking Bad is still available on Netflix so if you haven't watched it yet, do it first.

finally ran through the thread and I'll add a few

On Netflix - American Vandal - short mocumentary series about vandalism at an American High School, one of the funniest series I've seen in year and not for kids

Black Mirror - Mentioned elsewhere - Great

The Toys that Made Us - real documentary on the toys of the 70's and up, GI Joe, Star Wars, Barbie, He-Man, etc very well done

Star Wars the Clone Wars - not made for Netflix but great nonetheless does a much better job of spelling out Anikin's fall to the dark side

Voltron - very well revival of the classic Japanese series

Amazon

The Tick - well done new live action version of a classic from the 90's cartoon and live action series

Mr Robot - season 3 is on now. 1-2 phenomenal

Hulu

FX Series Fargo and Legion both are great TV by the same guy Noah Hawley who's work I am loving

The Handmaids Tale
    Last edited by Jon; January 14th, 2018 at 11:16 AM.
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Thinking of starting Black Mirror seems to be a consensus its a good show. Already watched Stranger Things and really enjoyed it.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    Thinking of starting Black Mirror seems to be a consensus its a good show. Already watched Stranger Things and really enjoyed it.
    just don't start with season 1 episode 1, there is no order
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Personal recommendations for watching order of Black Mirror?
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Season 1 episode 1 is definitely one of the most different compared to the rest that I've seen (still in season 3). Not bad it just doesn't fully represent what the rest of the show becomes imo. Season 1 episode 2 still remains one of my favorites however.

FX Series Fargo and Legion both are great TV by the same guy Noah Hawley who's work I am loving
    Now I kind of wish we had Hulu because I've been wanting to rewatch Fargo with the wife.

We just finished up season one of True Detective on HBOGO, which we really enjoyed. I know we're pretty late to that bandwagon.

I also just caught up on Ash Vs Evil Dead finally after they added it to Netflix.
    Last edited by MattinBama; January 15th, 2018 at 07:09 AM.

More British stuff-

Toast of London was recently added to Netflix. British show with one of the actors from IT Crowd. Pretty silly comedy and I haven't seen a lot of it but it cracks me up.

If you liked IT Crowd & Richard Ayoade (he played Moss) I would also recommend looking up Travel Man and the Big Fat Quiz of the Year / Big Fat Quiz of Everything on Youtube. He is legitimately one of my favorite comedians after those three shows - his delivery/style is unique and hilarious. A lot of other funny British comedians are on the Big Fat Quizzes.

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    Personal recommendations for watching order of Black Mirror?
    just skip or don't judge the series by episode 1 that's all

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    More British stuff-

Toast of London was recently added to Netflix. British show with one of the actors from IT Crowd. Pretty silly comedy and I haven't seen a lot of it but it cracks me up.

If you liked IT Crowd & Richard Ayoade (he played Moss) I would also recommend looking up Travel Man and the Big Fat Quiz of the Year / Big Fat Quiz of Everything on Youtube. He is legitimately one of my favorite comedians after those three shows - his delivery/style is unique and hilarious. A lot of other funny British comedians are on the Big Fat Quizzes.
    Ayoade's two Movies, Double and Submarine are both really good. He wrote and directed both but doesn't appear in them. Submarine also has an amazing soundtrack done by Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys

Ash versus Evil dead is next for me