Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime) - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Re: Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

started american vandal last night. pretty funny in a crude way. even my wife enjoyed it.

i'll have to check out ash vs evil dead. i've always liked bruce campbell
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Ayoade's two Movies, Double and Submarine are both really good. He wrote and directed both but doesn't appear in them. Submarine also has an amazing soundtrack done by Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys

Ash versus Evil dead is next for me
    I knew from his other shows (plus I think I remember seeing him talk about directing one episode of Community) that he was a director but haven't yet seen his movies. Will have to add those to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    Have you seen his movie My Name is Bruce? A lot of the humor in Ash Vs Evil Dead is pretty similar. Kind of a washed up version of Ash still trying to be groovy as he gets older. Ash vs Evil Dead had some hit or miss moments for me but overall usually kept me laughing.

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    just don't start with season 1 episode 1, there is no order
    Real talk? Is this not a series that needs each episode or are all episodes stand alone?
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    Real talk? Is this not a series that needs each episode or are all episodes stand alone?
    stand alone with occasional Easter eggs that pop up now and again. Think Twilight Zone
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    started american vandal last night. pretty funny in a crude way. even my wife enjoyed it.

oh it is that. My wife loved it, too
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    Have you seen his movie My Name is Bruce? A lot of the humor in Ash Vs Evil Dead is pretty similar. Kind of a washed up version of Ash still trying to be groovy as he gets older. Ash vs Evil Dead had some hit or miss moments for me but overall usually kept me laughing.
    i have not, i will have to check that out. i saw army of darkness recently in a hotel in the middle east at about 3 am as i was getting packed to go to the airport. it was as awesome as always
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

I really like military documentaries/docuseries. I recently watched The Fighing Season on Netflix about the conflict in Afghanistan. It was really good and insightful. Language is rough as you can imagine but I recommend it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    Personal recommendations for watching order of Black Mirror?
    I JUST finished plowing through the whole show in sequential order and I agree the Pilot is BAD and is not a good example of the good the show has to offer.

The below is JMHO on what grades I would give each episode and in the order I have them personally ranked for whatever that's worth. I also separated it by Good/Great episodes and Mediocre/Bad episodes...Hope this helps...

1) The Entire History of You A+ (S1:E3)

2) San Junipero A+ (S3:E4)

3) Hang the DJ A (S4:E4)

4) 15 Million Merits A (S1:E2)

5) Metalhead A- (S4:E5)

6) Be Right Back A- (S2:E1)

7) White Christmas A- (S2: Christmas Special)

8) Shut Up and Dance B+ (S3:E3)

9) Playtest B+ (S3:E2)

10) USS Callister B+ (S4:E1)

11) Men Against Fire B (S3:E5)

12) Nosedive C+ (S3:E1)

13) Hated in the Nation C+ (S3:E6)

14) Black Museum C (S4:E6)

15) The Waldo Moment C (S2:E3)

16) White Bear C- (S2:E2)

17) Arkangel C- (S4:E2)

18) The National Anthem D+ (S1:E1)

19) Crocodile F- (S4:E3)
    Last edited by tusks_n_raider; January 15th, 2018 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    2) San Junipero A+ (S3:E4)
    We just got to this one last night. Excellent episode. Was surprised to see Mackenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire pop up. Which speaking of that the entire series of Halt and Catch Fire is on Netflix currently and is a very good show. AMC production that I think got a bit overlooked more than it should have.

BamaNation Hall of Fame tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    We just got to this one last night. Excellent episode. Was surprised to see Mackenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire pop up. Which speaking of that the entire series of Halt and Catch Fire is on Netflix currently and is a very good show. AMC production that I think got a bit overlooked more than it should have.
    It was a great choice casting her as Yorkie.... but even they probably could not have predicted the chemistry between her and Guga Mbatha-Raw as Kelly. That was lightning in a bottle if I've ever seen it.... they were just electric for the whole episode.

I agree about Halt and Catch Fire being underrated too. Didn't realize it was on Netflix. But I watched it from the beginning on AMC (I'm a sucker for 1980's settings) and it's a really good show....maybe even great.

I know it got progressively better each season and Mackenzie Davis, Scoot McNairy, Lee Pace, Kerry Bische, and Toby Huss are all phenomenal during the whole run and have crazy good chemistry together.

Oh and if you are a fan of Mackenzie she also has a decent sized role in the new Blade Runner 2049 film.

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    I know it got progressively better each season and Mackenzie Davis, Scoot McNairy, Lee Pace, Kerry Bische, and Toby Huss are all phenomenal during the whole run and have crazy good chemistry together.

Oh and if you are a fan of Mackenzie she also has a decent sized role in the new Blade Runner 2049 film.
    Agreed completely on the Halt cast. Scoot McNairy is an outstanding actor.

Was happy to see her pop up in Blade Runner also. She had a small part in the Martian as well.

Finished up Peaky Blinders season 1 yesterday. Excellent stuff so far.