Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
i think krasinski and pierce work well together, but the second season was just lacking something.
I agree wholeheartedly. I like Krasinski and Pierce both, but maybe the story was just not compelling as season 1.

Spoiler alert.

An election in a Latin American country? Do I really care? And the resolution was that the bad guy accepts the results of an election he actually lost? Really? The premise is not interesting and the resolution is completely unrealistic. Anyone think Madura would just walk away if he lost an election? Anyone really think he would allow the counting to indicate he lost an election? I mean, how many elections did Castro lose?

As Stalin said, “You know, comrades, what I think is this: I believe that it does not matter who gets to vote in the party and how; but what is extremely important, is who gets to count the votes and how."
Boris Bazhanov. Memories of Stalin's Former Secretary

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I agree wholeheartedly. I like Krasinski and Pierce both, but maybe the story was just not compelling as season 1.

Spoiler alert.

An election in a Latin American country? Do I really care? And the resolution was that the bad guy accepts the results of an election he actually lost? Really? The premise is not interesting and the resolution is completely unrealistic. Anyone think Madura would just walk away if he lost an election? Anyone really think he would allow the counting to indicate he lost an election? I mean, how many elections did Castro lose?

As Stalin said, “You know, comrades, what I think is this: I believe that it does not matter who gets to vote in the party and how; but what is extremely important, is who gets to count the votes and how."
Boris Bazhanov. Memories of Stalin's Former Secretary
They teased a nuclear threat in episode 1, but then the rest of the season is a variant of Clear and Present Danger.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
They teased a nuclear threat in episode 1, but then the rest of the season is a variant of Clear and Present Danger.
They took a bit of a left turn on us. When Season 1 ended and they mentioned Moscow, I assumed (along with a whole bunch of people) the storyline would mimic "The Hunt for Red October".

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Looking forward to The Irishman. The reunion of DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino will be interesting -- could be fantastic, could be that all are past their prime, and we need to binge The Godfather and Goodfellas.

Similar to seeing Crosby, Stills, and Nash a few years ago. They just couldn't do it anymore, especially Steven Stills. That clean, pure voice is now a frog's croak, I guess from decades of drugs and hard living. I mean this literally: my singing voice can make dogs howl. But today, I can sing better than Steven Stills can sing today.

Mrs. Basket Case and I agreed that any time we saw an announcement of a tour like that, we'd put on a record and reminisce. Knowing what they were in their prime, and seeing them struggle like that now, was just depressing.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Looking forward to The Irishman. The reunion of DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino will be interesting -- could be fantastic, could be that all are past their prime, and we need to binge The Godfather and Goodfellas.

Similar to seeing Crosby, Stills, and Nash a few years ago. They just couldn't do it anymore, especially Steven Stills. That clean, pure voice is now a frog's croak, I guess from decades of drugs and hard living. I mean this literally: my singing voice can make dogs howl. But today, I can sing better than Steven Stills can sing today.

Mrs. Basket Case and I agreed that any time we saw an announcement of a tour like that, we'd put on a record and reminisce. Knowing what they were in their prime, and seeing them struggle like that now, was just depressing.
ILM has done a good job of digitally making them look younger when needed (cgi deaging) since part of the movie takes place earlier.
FWIW, Robbie Robertson (The Band) does the music

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I saw Dickey Betts on TV last week and had to turn it off. He can't sing or play guitar well anymore. It was depressing.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I was disappointed. It felt low budget to me. Pesci was the best thing in there. DeNiro (to me) looked uninterested. There wasn’t any intensity. Everything felt very surface. The female characters offered us nothing. And, okay, I get it. Hoffa liked ice cream. Got it.

Weird and way too long.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I was disappointed. It felt low budget to me. Pesci was the best thing in there. DeNiro (to me) looked uninterested. There wasn’t any intensity. Everything felt very surface. The female characters offered us nothing. And, okay, I get it. Hoffa liked ice cream. Got it.

Weird and way too long.
A 3-1/2 hour long Goodfellas narrated by Deniro instead of Ray Liotta.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Weird and way too long.
I'm about halfway through. Funny thing is, it's one of the most expensive movies Scorsese has made...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Jack Ryan series II just didn't work -- no sense of urgency for anyone this side of Central America.

For good, cerebral drama, check out Midsomer Murder on Acorn -- now a sub channel of Amazon Prime. They've added another season -- I've watched and rewatched all of the first 20 seasons. Outstanding...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They took a bit of a left turn on us. When Season 1 ended and they mentioned Moscow, I assumed (along with a whole bunch of people) the storyline would mimic "The Hunt for Red October".
I don't think they really want to hit the Big 3 of the Jack Ryan series without substantial setup. Out of the Big 3, I think Patriot Games is far more likely than Sum of All fears and Hunt for Red October since 1) no one wants to try to out do Sean Connery and 2) Both of those revolve around a Cold War setting (well SOAF is more about Islamic Extremists working with East Germans to start WWIII with the Russians). But I think Patriot Games is probably the more adaptable since you could easily replace the IRA with just about any extremist group and make it a personal war between Jack and the bad guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.