Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
just don't start with season 1 episode 1, there is no order
Season 1 episode 1 is definitely one of the most different compared to the rest that I've seen (still in season 3). Not bad it just doesn't fully represent what the rest of the show becomes imo. Season 1 episode 2 still remains one of my favorites however.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
FX Series Fargo and Legion both are great TV by the same guy Noah Hawley who's work I am loving
Now I kind of wish we had Hulu because I've been wanting to rewatch Fargo with the wife.

We just finished up season one of True Detective on HBOGO, which we really enjoyed. I know we're pretty late to that bandwagon.

I also just caught up on Ash Vs Evil Dead finally after they added it to Netflix.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
More British stuff-

Toast of London was recently added to Netflix. British show with one of the actors from IT Crowd. Pretty silly comedy and I haven't seen a lot of it but it cracks me up.

If you liked IT Crowd & Richard Ayoade (he played Moss) I would also recommend looking up Travel Man and the Big Fat Quiz of the Year / Big Fat Quiz of Everything on Youtube. He is legitimately one of my favorite comedians after those three shows - his delivery/style is unique and hilarious. A lot of other funny British comedians are on the Big Fat Quizzes.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
More British stuff-

Toast of London was recently added to Netflix. British show with one of the actors from IT Crowd. Pretty silly comedy and I haven't seen a lot of it but it cracks me up.

If you liked IT Crowd & Richard Ayoade (he played Moss) I would also recommend looking up Travel Man and the Big Fat Quiz of the Year / Big Fat Quiz of Everything on Youtube. He is legitimately one of my favorite comedians after those three shows - his delivery/style is unique and hilarious. A lot of other funny British comedians are on the Big Fat Quizzes.
Ayoade's two Movies, Double and Submarine are both really good. He wrote and directed both but doesn't appear in them. Submarine also has an amazing soundtrack done by Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys

Ash versus Evil dead is next for me

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
started american vandal last night. pretty funny in a crude way. even my wife enjoyed it.

i'll have to check out ash vs evil dead. i've always liked bruce campbell

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Ayoade's two Movies, Double and Submarine are both really good. He wrote and directed both but doesn't appear in them. Submarine also has an amazing soundtrack done by Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys

Ash versus Evil dead is next for me
I knew from his other shows (plus I think I remember seeing him talk about directing one episode of Community) that he was a director but haven't yet seen his movies. Will have to add those to the list.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
i'll have to check out ash vs evil dead. i've always liked bruce campbell
Have you seen his movie My Name is Bruce? A lot of the humor in Ash Vs Evil Dead is pretty similar. Kind of a washed up version of Ash still trying to be groovy as he gets older. Ash vs Evil Dead had some hit or miss moments for me but overall usually kept me laughing.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Have you seen his movie My Name is Bruce? A lot of the humor in Ash Vs Evil Dead is pretty similar. Kind of a washed up version of Ash still trying to be groovy as he gets older. Ash vs Evil Dead had some hit or miss moments for me but overall usually kept me laughing.
i have not, i will have to check that out. i saw army of darkness recently in a hotel in the middle east at about 3 am as i was getting packed to go to the airport. it was as awesome as always

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I really like military documentaries/docuseries. I recently watched The Fighing Season on Netflix about the conflict in Afghanistan. It was really good and insightful. Language is rough as you can imagine but I recommend it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Personal recommendations for watching order of Black Mirror?
I JUST finished plowing through the whole show in sequential order and I agree the Pilot is BAD and is not a good example of the good the show has to offer.

The below is JMHO on what grades I would give each episode and in the order I have them personally ranked for whatever that's worth. I also separated it by Good/Great episodes and Mediocre/Bad episodes...Hope this helps...

1) The Entire History of You A+ (S1:E3)

2) San Junipero A+ (S3:E4)

3) Hang the DJ A (S4:E4)

4) 15 Million Merits A (S1:E2)

5) Metalhead A- (S4:E5)

6) Be Right Back A- (S2:E1)

7) White Christmas A- (S2: Christmas Special)

8) Shut Up and Dance B+ (S3:E3)

9) Playtest B+ (S3:E2)

10) USS Callister B+ (S4:E1)

11) Men Against Fire B (S3:E5)

12) Nosedive C+ (S3:E1)

13) Hated in the Nation C+ (S3:E6)

14) Black Museum C (S4:E6)

15) The Waldo Moment C (S2:E3)

16) White Bear C- (S2:E2)

17) Arkangel C- (S4:E2)

18) The National Anthem D+ (S1:E1)

19) Crocodile F- (S4:E3)

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
2) San Junipero A+ (S3:E4)
We just got to this one last night. Excellent episode. Was surprised to see Mackenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire pop up. Which speaking of that the entire series of Halt and Catch Fire is on Netflix currently and is a very good show. AMC production that I think got a bit overlooked more than it should have.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
We just got to this one last night. Excellent episode. Was surprised to see Mackenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire pop up. Which speaking of that the entire series of Halt and Catch Fire is on Netflix currently and is a very good show. AMC production that I think got a bit overlooked more than it should have.
It was a great choice casting her as Yorkie.... but even they probably could not have predicted the chemistry between her and Guga Mbatha-Raw as Kelly. That was lightning in a bottle if I've ever seen it.... they were just electric for the whole episode.

I agree about Halt and Catch Fire being underrated too. Didn't realize it was on Netflix. But I watched it from the beginning on AMC (I'm a sucker for 1980's settings) and it's a really good show....maybe even great.

I know it got progressively better each season and Mackenzie Davis, Scoot McNairy, Lee Pace, Kerry Bische, and Toby Huss are all phenomenal during the whole run and have crazy good chemistry together.

Oh and if you are a fan of Mackenzie she also has a decent sized role in the new Blade Runner 2049 film.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I know it got progressively better each season and Mackenzie Davis, Scoot McNairy, Lee Pace, Kerry Bische, and Toby Huss are all phenomenal during the whole run and have crazy good chemistry together.

Oh and if you are a fan of Mackenzie she also has a decent sized role in the new Blade Runner 2049 film.
Agreed completely on the Halt cast. Scoot McNairy is an outstanding actor.

Was happy to see her pop up in Blade Runner also. She had a small part in the Martian as well.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I like The Last Kingdom as well. But Vikings, which I discovered on Amazon Prime, is much much better in my opinion.
Have watched both. Purchased the Vikings CD from Amazon. this is a History Channel series and the latest season is just finishing up on the History Channel. It is quite well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.