Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
There may have been a thread like this sometime in the past, but if so, it has long since disappeared into the abyss of the new search function.

I'm a bit of an Anglophile, so the two gems that I'm going to mention are of course British in origin.

(1) The Fall starring Gillian Anderson among others. This is a very intense crime series about a serial killer (available on Netflix). What is so cool about this series is that you see the story from both perspectives: the serial killer and the police officer leading the investigation. It is so creepy to see the serial killer in his "normal" life vis-a-vis the hunt and murder of his next victim.

(2) Broadchurch starring David Tennant among others. You may have seen this show when it aired on BBC America back in 2013, but I didn't see it until finding it on Netflix. Also, Fox did a U.S. version of this series called Gracepoint, which apparently did not live up to the quality of its British parent. Broadchurch Series 1 is the best. I've also watched Series 2 but not Series 3, which recently aired in the U.K. The crime story is compelling, emotions run high, and the ending is quite surprising. This show is intense, but not in the same way as The Fall. The intensity comes from the emotionality of the story. The detective work is also very interesting.

I highly recommend both of these series, especially if you have any interest in crime dramas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenntiderman

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There may have been a thread like this sometime in the past, but if so, it has long since disappeared into the abyss of the new search function.

I'm a bit of an Anglophile, so the two gems that I'm going to mention are of course British in origin.

(1) The Fall starring Gillian Anderson among others. This is a very intense crime series about a serial killer (available on Netflix). What is so cool about this series is that you see the story from both perspectives: the serial killer and the police officer leading the investigation. It is so creepy to see the serial killer in his "normal" life vis-a-vis the hunt and murder of his next victim.

(2) Broadchurch starring David Tennant among others. You may have seen this show when it aired on BBC America back in 2013, but I didn't see it until finding it on Netflix. Also, Fox did a U.S. version of this series called Gracepoint, which apparently did not live up to the quality of its British parent. Broadchurch Series 1 is the best. I've also watched Series 2 but not Series 3, which recently aired in the U.K. The crime story is compelling, emotions run high, and the ending is quite surprising. This show is intense, but not in the same way as The Fall. The intensity comes from the emotionality of the story. The detective work is also very interesting.

I highly recommend both of these series, especially if you have any interest in crime dramas.
That reminds me of the matching Japanese and US films of Iwo Jima, filmed from each viewpoint. It was very interesting...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Both are excellent; The Fall will also remind you just how sexy Gillian Anderson is.

Life is another great series from the early 2000s.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we have seen both of those. liked broadchurch, not so much the fall (both my wife and i were annoyed by the male character).

what we are currently watching

amazon prime:

- transparent - we watched this series and really enjoyed it. it gets a touch weird from time to time, but the writing and acting is top notch. jeffery torbor is in this.

- i love dick - written by the same person who wrote transparent. it gets very weird, but is well written and the acting is great. kevin bacon and kathryn hahn (also in transparent) are in this

- patriot - we find this show hilarious. both the writing and acting are pretty good. a lot of subtle/dry humor

- long strange trip - 5 part documentary on the grateful dead. well done and will probably be of interest to anyone who likes music.

there are several others on prime that we are going to watch in the coming months

Reactions: dtgreg

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Yeah, I saw Broadchurch S1 when it was on BBC a couple of years ago and it was by far the best and most well-done show I've seen in a long time. The thing about that show was each episode felt so "heavy" that by the end you were exhausted from watching the show. That is where Gracepoint failed. Despite the crime and Fox trying to pretty much make it a American version (Gracepoint try to be a scene by scene identical and yet they swung and miss) they failed.

Haven't seen The Fall but I heard it's really good.

Another show people should watch is "Luther" with Idris Elba (Heimdall from Thor movies, for those who don't know who he is). A DCI officer who has an pyschopath serial killer as a nemesis/companion.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, I saw Broadchurch S1 when it was on BBC a couple of years ago and it was by far the best and most well-done show I've seen in a long time. The thing about that show was each episode felt so "heavy" that by the end you were exhausted from watching the show. That is where Gracepoint failed. Despite the crime and Fox trying to pretty much make it a American version (Gracepoint try to be a scene by scene identical and yet they swung and miss) they failed.

Haven't seen The Fall but I heard it's really good.

Another show people should watch is "Luther" with Idris Elba (Heimdall from Thor movies, for those who don't know who he is). A DCI officer who has an pyschopath serial killer as a nemesis/companion.
Yep, I've seen Luther. Watched it on Netflix as well. Liked it a lot.

I also liked Whitechapel, which I saw on Amazon Instant Video (Prime), but it's generally weaker than the others that have been mentioned. Series 1 and 2 were pretty good, but the show weakened significantly with Series 3 and 4. Series 1 is worth watching if you haven't seen it.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
A Young Doctor's Notebook -Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm co-star in this BBC drama about the memories of a Russian doctor (played by both Radcliffe & Hamm) working in a small village around the time of the Bolshevik revolution. Jon Hamm plays the elder doctor reflecting on his early career and self, played by Radcliffe. It is a supremely dark comedy, mixing the best of British humor and the idiosyncratic nature of remote Russia. Netflix

The Double: Director Richard Ayoade (Submarine) adapts Dostoevsky's classic work of literature. Starring Jesse Eisnenberg and Mia Wasikoska, Ayoade uses his visual flair to bring out the bizarre nature of this uniquely dark comedy. Netflix

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: For those who don't mind a fair amount of good natured campiness. The show is set in 1920s Australia as you follow Ms. Phryne Fisher on her adventures as a private detective and special consultant to the Melbourne police department. Essie Davis as Ms. Fisher is what really makes the show worth it. Netflix

The Trip: Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon play themselves in this absurd road-trip film, directed by Michael Winterbottom. Pretty classic British humor with two stellar performances from Coogan and Brydon. The sequel, "The Trip to Italy" is also on Netflix.

One-Punch Man: ​Based on the Manga from Japan this anime series about a superhero so strong that he can defeat any foe with a single punch is surprisingly awesome. A superhero so bored with life that he's more interested in shopping sales than saving the world. It parodies all the tropes of popular manga and anime while also providing well animated sequences of action. Netflix

Mike Birbiglia: Thank God for Jokes - For those unfamiliar with Mike Birbiglia's standup, this performance is a perfect introduction. With dry and self-deprecating sensibilities, Birbiglia examines the current state of comedy and the genesis of jokes in a candid and, often, heartfelt manner. Netflix

Ex Machina: One of the best movies of the last 5 years. Ex Machina is the story of a young coder who wins a trip to stay at the remote home of his reclusive billionaire employer. When he arrives he learns that his boss has been working on an artificial intelligence and needs help testing it. What follows is a very poignant and adept take on a the sometimes tired trope of computer A.I. All the performances are astonishing and writer director Alex Garland has never been better. Amazon Prime

What We Do in The Shadows: A hilarious mockumentary from the creators of 'Flight of the Conchords', 'What We Do In The Shadows" follows the lives of 3 vampires living as roommates in an old victorian house. From writer/director Taika Waititi ('Hunt for the Wilderpeople' and soon to be known for 'Thor Ragnarok') comes a situational comedy about the difficulties of being a vampire in the modern age. Dark but never morose, this one should make most people laugh. Amazon Prime

The End of the Tour: A funny and touching exploration of fame, success, and friendship, as we follow journalist David Lipsky (Jesse Eisenberg) during 5 days he spent on the road interviewing renowned and reclusive novelist David Foster Wallace (Jason Segel.) For anyone interested in DFW's writing, this film is interesting. Given Wallace's well documented stances on fame and attention this film feels like an invasion of sorts but as there's no way to completely authenticate the proceedings other than through David Lipsky's actual writings, I feel it's ok to sit back and enjoy. Amazon Prime

Inside Llewyn Davis: One of the Coen Bros. minor films. 'Inside Llewyn Davis' follows an aspiring folk singer-songwriter through the 1960's folk scene in New York City's Greenwich Village. Star studded cast led by Oscar Issac (who also co-stars in 'Ex Machina') along with Carey Mulligan, John Goodman, Garret Hedlund and Justin Timberlake.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
What he said--great series. Idris Elba has a presence that has to seen to be believed. It does not come through at all in the Thor movies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A Young Doctor's Notebook -Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm co-star in this BBC drama about the memories of a Russian doctor (played by both Radcliffe & Hamm) working in a small village around the time of the Bolshevik revolution. Jon Hamm plays the elder doctor reflecting on his early career and self, played by Radcliffe. It is a supremely dark comedy, mixing the best of British humor and the idiosyncratic nature of remote Russia. Netflix

The Double: Director Richard Ayoade (Submarine) adapts Dostoevsky's classic work of literature. Starring Jesse Eisnenberg and Mia Wasikoska, Ayoade uses his visual flair to bring out the bizarre nature of this uniquely dark comedy. Netflix

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: For those who don't mind a fair amount of good natured campiness. The show is set in 1920s Australia as you follow Ms. Phryne Fisher on her adventures as a private detective and special consultant to the Melbourne police department. Essie Davis as Ms. Fisher is what really makes the show worth it. Netflix

The Trip: Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon play themselves in this absurd road-trip film, directed by Michael Winterbottom. Pretty classic British humor with two stellar performances from Coogan and Brydon. The sequel, "The Trip to Italy" is also on Netflix.

One-Punch Man: ​Based on the Manga from Japan this anime series about a superhero so strong that he can defeat any foe with a single punch is surprisingly awesome. A superhero so bored with life that he's more interested in shopping sales than saving the world. It parodies all the tropes of popular manga and anime while also providing well animated sequences of action. Netflix

Mike Birbiglia: Thank God for Jokes - For those unfamiliar with Mike Birbiglia's standup, this performance is a perfect introduction. With dry and self-deprecating sensibilities, Birbiglia examines the current state of comedy and the genesis of jokes in a candid and, often, heartfelt manner. Netflix

Ex Machina: One of the best movies of the last 5 years. Ex Machina is the story of a young coder who wins a trip to stay at the remote home of his reclusive billionaire employer. When he arrives he learns that his boss has been working on an artificial intelligence and needs help testing it. What follows is a very poignant and adept take on a the sometimes tired trope of computer A.I. All the performances are astonishing and writer director Alex Garland has never been better. Amazon Prime

What We Do in The Shadows: A hilarious mockumentary from the creators of 'Flight of the Conchords', 'What We Do In The Shadows" follows the lives of 3 vampires living as roommates in an old victorian house. From writer/director Taika Waititi ('Hunt for the Wilderpeople' and soon to be known for 'Thor Ragnarok') comes a situational comedy about the difficulties of being a vampire in the modern age. Dark but never morose, this one should make most people laugh. Amazon Prime

The End of the Tour: A funny and touching exploration of fame, success, and friendship, as we follow journalist David Lipsky (Jesse Eisenberg) during 5 days he spent on the road interviewing renowned and reclusive novelist David Foster Wallace (Jason Segel.) For anyone interested in DFW's writing, this film is interesting. Given Wallace's well documented stances on fame and attention this film feels like an invasion of sorts but as there's no way to completely authenticate the proceedings other than through David Lipsky's actual writings, I feel it's ok to sit back and enjoy. Amazon Prime

Inside Llewyn Davis: One of the Coen Bros. minor films. 'Inside Llewyn Davis' follows an aspiring folk singer-songwriter through the 1960's folk scene in New York City's Greenwich Village. Star studded cast led by Oscar Issac (who also co-stars in 'Ex Machina') along with Carey Mulligan, John Goodman, Garret Hedlund and Justin Timberlake.
i liked inside llewyn davis. on a side note, i got a chance to see dave van ronk at blind willies right after i moved to atlanta. there were maybe 20 people there, it was a great show.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Recently, I have really enjoyed the following, all on Netflix:

1) Five Came Back - A look at Capra, Ford, Huston, Stevens, and Wyler's impact on WWII documentary films. Super interesting and deep on how the filmmakers still tried to use their talents while shooting WWII documentaries.

2) The Last Kingdom - Series set in pre-1066 England, and use a lot of the same towns/names/figures that dominated England at the time. Kind of a more tame version of Game of Thrones, but set in England, and based on The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell.

3) The Boys of '36 - Short documentary based off the book by the same title. It's about the University of Washington men's rowing team from 1936. The book was written by Daniel James Brown. The book and this documentary are great.

4) Nuremberg: Nazis on Trial - Documentary/historical drama covering the Nuremberg Trials after WWII.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Recently, I have really enjoyed the following, all on Netflix:

1) Five Came Back - A look at Capra, Ford, Huston, Stevens, and Wyler's impact on WWII documentary films. Super interesting and deep on how the filmmakers still tried to use their talents while shooting WWII documentaries.

2) The Last Kingdom - Series set in pre-1066 England, and use a lot of the same towns/names/figures that dominated England at the time. Kind of a more tame version of Game of Thrones, but set in England, and based on The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell.

3) The Boys of '36 - Short documentary based off the book by the same title. It's about the University of Washington men's rowing team from 1936. The book was written by Daniel James Brown. The book and this documentary are great.

4) Nuremberg: Nazis on Trial - Documentary/historical drama covering the Nuremberg Trials after WWII.
I almost included "Five Came Back" and "The Last Kingdom"
I enjoy Barnard Cornwell's books for what they are, though I haven't read any of the books the series is based on. Both are solid shows.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I almost included "Five Came Back" and "The Last Kingdom"
I enjoy Barnard Cornwell's books for what they are, though I haven't read any of the books the series is based on. Both are solid shows.
I like The Last Kingdom as well. But Vikings, which I discovered on Amazon Prime, is much much better in my opinion.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
We love all Brit mysteries - Shetland is another worth watching. Watched an episode of Wallander last night.

Saw an episode of Bosch on Prime and really liked it - terrific cast with Titus Welliver and Jamie Hector. That may be the next show we pursue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
We love all Brit mysteries - Shetland is another worth watching. Watched an episode of Wallander last night.

Saw an episode of Bosch on Prime and really liked it - terrific cast with Titus Welliver and Jamie Hector. That may be the next show we pursue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shetland is another good one as is Wallander (starring Kenneth Branagh).

As a note, PBS has the first 3 seasons of The Inspector Lynley Mysteries available for streaming on its website at no cost. I've read all of Elizabeth George's Lynley novels, and the TV series is a good adaptation.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
While we're still on British mystery series, I also recommend the Inspector Morse series available on Netflix. The series is based on the books by Colin Dexter. I also recommend the prequel series, Endeavour, which is available on Amazon Instant Video (Seasons 1 and 2 are Prime; Season 3 is not).

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
If you like British humor watch IT Crowd.

I've found tons of stuff on Netflix but drawing a blank on most of it right now. Will try to look around and see what I can remember later. I will add another point for Luther.

The 4 episode miniseries Run on Netflix is a good British drama (some Lenny James acting goodness thrown in).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.