Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
"River" on Netflix was great. Stellan Skarsgard

We also binged "Longmire" and "The Killing"

Also enjoyed "The Travelers" with Will from Will and Grace

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Recently, I have really enjoyed the following, all on Netflix:

1) Five Came Back - A look at Capra, Ford, Huston, Stevens, and Wyler's impact on WWII documentary films. Super interesting and deep on how the filmmakers still tried to use their talents while shooting WWII documentaries.

2) The Last Kingdom - Series set in pre-1066 England, and use a lot of the same towns/names/figures that dominated England at the time. Kind of a more tame version of Game of Thrones, but set in England, and based on The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell.

3) The Boys of '36 - Short documentary based off the book by the same title. It's about the University of Washington men's rowing team from 1936. The book was written by Daniel James Brown. The book and this documentary are great.

4) Nuremberg: Nazis on Trial - Documentary/historical drama covering the Nuremberg Trials after WWII.
Haven't seen The Boys of '36, but have read the book on the same subject: The Boys In The Boat, by Laura Hillenbrand.

Highly recommended, and absolutely inspiring. Reminder of what made the Greatest Generation, the greatest.

The stories of the coxswain Bobby Moch, and the lead oar, Joe Rantz, will embarrass most of us who complaining about our first-world problems [blush!]. I also liked the story of Don Hume, who was really, really sick in the days before anti-biotics and anti-viral drugs. He pulled out a superhuman effort. He was so sick, I doubt he remembered much about it.

The story of the boatbuilder, George Pocock, is inspiring in its own way. He wasn't a highly talented crewman, but he was the original Wood Whisperer. I have no doubt that, without the advent of fiberglass, there would still be a craft builder of crew boats with his name on it.

The conflict between the UDub coach, Al Ulbrickson, and the Cal-Berkeley coach, Ky Ebright, is also fascinating.

I understand there's a movie coming, but that it's run into all-too-common childish Hollywood back and forth.

Read the book. You don't need anything more than what your own mind will imagine.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
This isn't Netflix or Amazon Prime, but I know how you guys like your documentaries. There is one I watched on HBOGo called, "Mommy Dead and Dearest".

It is a very creepy and fascinating documentary about a daughter who killed her Mother. The Mother made the daughter believe her whole life that she was disabled and ill. This caused a lot of mental anguish and physical pain to the daughter.

I won't give away too many details, but it is worth a watch.

Last edited:

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Penny Dreadful is now on Netflix. I watched that when it was on Showtime. It brings a lot of the classic late 19th-century monsters and villains into one story (Victor Frankenstein & his monster, Dr. Jeckyll, Dorian Gray, Dracula, and a werewolf come to mind). Thankfully it never gets as silly as True Blood and it has Eva Green. I'd watch her read the phone book. It's pretty heavy on sex, violence, and gore, so it's not for everyone

The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime has been pretty good. It's another Axis won WWII stories, but it's done much better than most. This show could be shown early prime time on a major network without edits.

But the best is Ash vs. Evil Dead. I'm buying these seasons off Amazon because they're so worth it. It is available if you have a Starz subscription. I love pretty much anything Bruce Campbell is in, and he's on top of his game here. There's some language and very over-the-top gore to the point it's comical. Season 2 features Lee Majors as Ash's father and it's brilliant.

Edit: I would have recommended Bloodline on Netflix, but they really botched the ending. It's too bad because it was really well done and Ben Mendelsohn played the bitter brother perfectly.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This isn't Netflix or Amazon Prime, but I know how you guys like your documentaries. There is one I watched on HBOGo called, "Mommy Dead and Dearest".

It is a very creepy and fascinating documentary about a daughter who killed her Mother. The Mother made the daughter believe her whole life that she was disabled and ill. This caused a lot of mental anguish and physical pain to the daughter.

I won't give away too many details, but it is worth a watch.
Mommy Dead and Dearest was so surreal that it almost needs to be seen twice to be believed. I 2nd your motion that if anyone has the ability to watch it then they absolutely should.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Penny Dreadful is now on Netflix. I watched that when it was on Showtime. It brings a lot of the classic late 19th-century monsters and villains into one story (Victor Frankenstein & his monster, Dr. Jeckyll, Dorian Gray, Dracula, and a werewolf come to mind). Thankfully it never gets as silly as True Blood and it has Eva Green. I'd watch her read the phone book. It's pretty heavy on sex, violence, and gore, so it's not for everyone

The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime has been pretty good. It's another Axis won WWII stories, but it's done much better than most. This show could be shown early prime time on a major network without edits.

But the best is Ash vs. Evil Dead. I'm buying these seasons off Amazon because they're so worth it. It is available if you have a Starz subscription. I love pretty much anything Bruce Campbell is in, and he's on top of his game here. There's some language and very over-the-top gore to the point it's comical. Season 2 features Lee Majors as Ash's father and it's brilliant.

Edit: I would have recommended Bloodline on Netflix, but they really botched the ending. It's too bad because it was really well done and Ben Mendelsohn played the bitter brother perfectly.
i'll have to check out ash vs. evil dead. when i was traveling last month, i caught evil dead 3 on one of the movie channels at about 1 in the morning. bruce campbell is awesome in that kind of role

we have been watching bloodline, but it really seems to be falling apart in the third season.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
i'll have to check out ash vs. evil dead. when i was traveling last month, i caught evil dead 3 on one of the movie channels at about 1 in the morning. bruce campbell is awesome in that kind of role

we have been watching bloodline, but it really seems to be falling apart in the third season.
I'm a big fan of Kyle Chandler but "Bloodline" was always a bit cloying to me. I also could never get into "Damages" which was also created by the showrunners of "Bloodline."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm a big fan of Kyle Chandler but "Bloodline" was always a bit cloying to me. I also could never get into "Damages" which was also created by the showrunners of "Bloodline."
its one of those shows where my wife and i both thought it would have been great if it ended in one season, maybe 2.

HELENKELLERMRI

1st Team
Apr 19, 2008
The Shoals
Really like house of cards. Liked bloodline but it nose dived. Stranger things is great. I have started watching the fall. It seems very good but not sure about it yet. Me and my kids like the show the 100. I think it's actually a cw show though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
For comedies Master of None and Love are both really good Netflix originals.

Just finished watching 13 Reasons Why with the wife. It's VERY teenagery but was pretty solid as well - it held my attention with some pretty good young actors and a bit of mystery. It may have helped that we just watched a documentary in the past year about a similar topic.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Dark on Netflix

German show that is really well made & interesting. You can watch it dubbed in English but I ended up turning it to German audio with subtitles. When the mouths & audio don't sync up it drives me crazy.

Had watched the first three and then talked the wife into catching. 7 episodes later today we're just about done with the season.

If you have any interest in time traveling & shows with lots of mysterious threads to follow you'd likely love it.

I feel like I need my own cork board up detective style at times trying to track things but in the best way.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For comedies Master of None and Love are both really good Netflix originals.

Just finished watching 13 Reasons Why with the wife. It's VERY teenagery but was pretty solid as well - it held my attention with some pretty good young actors and a bit of mystery. It may have helped that we just watched a documentary in the past year about a similar topic.
we just got through watching love. thought it was great.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Really enjoyed The Crown. Also really like The Last Kingdom. Looking forward to season 3 of each one this year.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.