Baseball Recruiting

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I was going to put this in the "what will the roster look like in 18" thread but some of these verbal commitments go beyond that. Going to post what I have and would love to keep this going most of the year.

I think since we have a true recruiter now as head coach we will have enough stories to keep this thread busy. If I overlooked a prior recruiting thread just move my post over there.

Gonna post some tidbits and stories here in a second about kids that might have just signed or committed to Bama. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these kids if you've seen them or heard anything about their play.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Tyler Miller
2018 recruit
6'1"
170lbs.
SS/INF
Spanish Fort H.S./Spanish Fort, Alabama

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/spanish_fort_junior_shortstop.html

For the second time in as many weeks, a Spanish Fort underclassman has committed to play baseball at Alabama.

Last week, it was sophomore first baseman Von Seibert.

This past weekend, junior shortstop Tyler Miller committed to the Crimson Tide.
From what I can find, here are some of his stats:

2015-2016:
.464 AVG (11 games played), 1 triple, 1 homerun, 8 runs, and 6 RBI in only 28 at-bats.
.545 OBP, .642 SLG, 1.188 OPS
27 total chances at shortstop with 0 errors

Can't really find much of his 2016-2017 stats, other than some posted 22 games into this past season. At least at that point he was batting .324, 4 homeruns, a triple and 22 RBI's.

It is said he will play SS at Bama but can also play the hot corner or 2nd base as well.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/alabama_just_feels_right_for_s.html

Spanish Fort slugger Von Seibert grew up a Florida State fan.

However, he always wanted to stay in-state to play college baseball.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound sophomore has that chance now after committing to Alabama during a weekend visit to Tuscaloosa.

"I really wanted to stay in state," Seibert told AL.com. "I fell in love with the staff at Alabama. I really like the way the team approaches the game. It just feels right. I want to stay home and make a name for myself."

Partial 2017 stats (after 18 games):

.455 AVG
.691 Slugging
5 2B
2 HR
1 3B
14 R
26 RBI

Last edited:

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Here are the 2018 and 2019 lists according to Perfect Game. I'm sure there will be a lot of movement with the coaching change, but it's something.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I've seen Dowdell (2018) and Hall (2019) from Calera and Wilson (2019) from Hoover.

Dowdell and Hall are pretty similar players. Both are left-handed bats with good pop. I like Hall's bat overall a little more. Dowdell covers more ground in the outfield. Both are very athletic guys on a stacked Calera team. Dowdell also pitches for Calera, while I don't think Hall does. Dowdell has a good arm, runs it up there in the upper-80s, but can get a little wild. I think he's probably the third-best pitcher on his team, but the other two guys are committed to UAB and Vandy as pitchers. Dowdell is intriguing as a pitching prospect, because there's a lot there but it's far from refined. I don't know what the staff will want from him (if he even sticks).

Wilson is a switch-hitter. I only saw him in two games, but one of them he was facing a lefty, so I got a good look at him on both sides. I thought he looked better from the left side of the plate, but it was a small sample size. He was playing 2B when I saw him. I think he may grow out of that position and into a third baseman by the time he gets to Alabama.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Awesome stuff. We need more of this on here for sure!

It's crazy to see Calera so stacked. My Junior or Senior years we were in the same area with Calera in 2A!!:eek2: I've also built a good bit of town there, especially on 31 all the way past the school and some up 25 there as well in the old part of downtown. We split with them both years (the away team always won) and I probably had one of my best games ever pitching wise against them and still lost. So it's crazy to see them so stacked like that.

T.R. Miller is pumping out some kids now too!

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Green had committed to Samford back in the Spring. He was highly productive for Helena this season, put up good numbers. I think I heard he dealt with some arm soreness or something later in the year, which limited how he was used (more as a reliever than a starter - he did, however, start and beat Cullman in Game 3 of the state championship series). I think that arm rest has paid off, his velocity has jumped big time this summer, reaching as high as 93 recently. During the season he was more of a mid-to-high 80s guy. I expect him to make a jump in the pitcher rankings to coincide with the leap in velocity.

Green and Richard Fitts (younger brother of former MSU pitcher Trevor Fitts) will make a really strong 1-2 punch of the mound for Helena this year. They lost a lot of position guys, but those two will give them a great start at defending their state title.

Last edited:

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
FWIW, 2018 recruit Carson Crowe from ACA decommitted the other day. I don't know if it was a money issue in terms of what he had been promised by Goff vs. what this staff thought it could deliver or if he just wasn't comfortable with the staff. I'm sure he won't be the last.

Edit - It appears 2019 OF Christian Hall has also decommitted. He's no longer on the list above.

I'd expect a lot more movement as Bohannon has to continue to try to clean up what Goff had done and re-evaluates and establishes what he wants in the program.

Last edited:

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Looks like the only person who signed before the deadline yesterday was Alex Valverde - Juco P from Miami.

So Chandler Taylor and Jo Breaux will both be here next season.

Also hearing rumors that Duarte is transferring, but idk how legit that is.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Looks like the only person who signed before the deadline yesterday was Alex Valverde - Juco P from Miami.

Hate to see Duarte transferring, he had some potential. Very glad to see Chandler and Joe will be on roster next year as well.

Really hate to see Valverde sign, he had some nasty numbers down at Miami-Dade.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm not sure how I feel about having Jo Bro on the team. I mean the jokes pretty much write themselves.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Any potential starting pitching we would lose would be a blow, especially with all of the TJ's we had this year. I hate to lose Dylan AND this Valverde guy. Opportunity abounds with our pitching staff for 2018.

rtr

TtileTownRoll

Jul 9, 2017
With the old staff gone, what impact will the new staff have with recruiting? I remember reading a while ago where the 2018 Class was ranked in the top 25 and and 2019 Class in the top 10. A LSU friend of mine reminded me that the coach before Cannizaro at LSU recruited 80% of this year's team. Not sticking up for Goff but at least his staff could recruit.....maybe too much. Time will tell

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Only time is going to answer that question. I'd just say fans need to not freak out with guys decommitting or moving on, regardless of what they were ranked. This staff deserves the chance to recruit the players they want.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I am getting notices about a CBB Alabama baseball camp for 8-12 graders coming up in August, so they must have gotten something done there.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.