Several Young Players Impress in Summer Workout

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
If I were to make a guess on which freshman have the biggest impact I would put money on Moses and one of the WRs. Moses is enough of a freak with his heigh/weight/speed/movement skills combo that I think you almost HAVE to find a way to get him on the field at some point. I wouldn't look for him much in the FSU game but by the end of the season I think we will have heard his name a decent amount. He is also very versatile like Evans is.
I think the biggest contribution could be if one of those freshmen have kick return skills. Seems like I heard Ruggs has been tabbed as an option in that spot. Personally I love a game changer at the return spot that doesn't carry a heavy load as a starter. I'm always worried about one of our playmakers that also starts going down during a return. Think Eddie from this year. That being said I agree that Eddie should have been returning kicks because of his impact, I just prefer someone to make that sane impact but doesn't serve as a starter. I know that can be a big ask...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think the biggest contribution could be if one of those freshmen have kick return skills. Seems like I heard Ruggs has been tabbed as an option in that spot. Personally I love a game changer at the return spot that doesn't carry a heavy load as a starter. I'm always worried about one of our playmakers that also starts going down during a return. Think Eddie from this year. That being said I agree that Eddie should have been returning kicks because of his impact, I just prefer someone to make that sane impact but doesn't serve as a starter. I know that can be a big ask...
Good point. I always forget about return men. Eddie looked like he was about to have a special year a return man too. I hope he can continue to make that impact in the NFL. I think its pretty perfect he landed with the Bears. I hope he gets in touch with Hester because I think he can be a really special return man in the NFL even if he doesn't make it as a safety(I think he will).

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
It also depends what kind of tear happened. Donta Hightower had just about the worst cut blocks to the knees you could get for his injury...

No joke! I called up that Arkansas game on YouTube the other night and had not considered the Donta injury. It was painful to watch him on the sidelines in the cart. He KNEW how bad it was immediately.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Any chance we change up the D a little to to go w more LBs since the D line may b a little thin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We already have some packages that use a lot of guys listed as LB's in other spots. in standard nickel we put the OLB down like a DE most of the time, same with the standard dime package. We also have "light" nickel and dime packages that put two OLBs in as DEs so we only have two true DL in the lineup then. Against Clemson we ran a package several times where either Allen or Hand were the only DL in the game and we had 3 LBs lined up on the line with them.

We're pretty thin at S also, especially since we usually run three S in dime, which we play a lot. I wonder if we might get Moses/Evans reps at the money S spot just in case we have any injury issues. Evans got some looks there last summer, and with the speed both he and Moses have they might be able to pull it off, and it would let us have fewer personnel changes when we switch from nickel to dime.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We already have some packages that use a lot of guys listed as LB's in other spots. in standard nickel we put the OLB down like a DE most of the time, same with the standard dime package. We also have "light" nickel and dime packages that put two OLBs in as DEs so we only have two true DL in the lineup then. Against Clemson we ran a package several times where either Allen or Hand were the only DL in the game and we had 3 LBs lined up on the line with them.

We're pretty thin at S also, especially since we usually run three S in dime, which we play a lot. I wonder if we might get Moses/Evans reps at the money S spot just in case we have any injury issues. Evans got some looks there last summer, and with the speed both he and Moses have they might be able to pull it off, and it would let us have fewer personnel changes when we switch from nickel to dime.
Keaton Anderson would be another possibility for a LB playing money.

I suspect we see a few OLBs playing DE at various points this season to give true DEs some rest. Most likely depends on the opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm a big fan of this for the reasons you mention. Evans is freaky and could easily play that spot. I wonder if Moses will need more time to play there but he might be even better suited to it than Evans. I also wonder how much/in what way Davis and Wilson will be used this year.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'm a big fan of this for the reasons you mention. Evans is freaky and could easily play that spot. I wonder if Moses will need more time to play there but he might be even better suited to it than Evans. I also wonder how much/in what way Davis and Wilson will be used this year.
I think it depends on how much they decide to use moses and where. If they have him taking pass rush reps and Money reps this year he might not get good enough at either to make a difference. If they have him focus on one area, I'd think he'd be in the two deep, especially at money.

As talented as they are, I don't expect much out of Wilson and Davis at LB this year. just like Ragland, Foster and SDH, I think they'll be waiting their turns till they are juniors. Evans will be a senior and would not have gotten any starts if not for SDH going down. We'll see them on special teams, maybe in some packages (I could especially see one of them playing in the goal line package where we've usually brought in another ILB). Since Davis spent some time at OLB in the spring, he has a chance to get into the rotation some as we typically rotate the OLBs a bit more as pass rushers while we almost never rotate the ILBs. That said, between Miller, Jennings and Hall as primary guys with Mosley and Brown also very capable of quality reps it's congested there also, which is why I don't know if they'd try to slide Moses there instead of letting him focus on development off the LOS since that's where his future is and where he took almost all of his snaps in HS despite the recruiting folks tabbing him as an OLB.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think it depends on how much they decide to use moses and where. If they have him taking pass rush reps and Money reps this year he might not get good enough at either to make a difference. If they have him focus on one area, I'd think he'd be in the two deep, especially at money.

As talented as they are, I don't expect much out of Wilson and Davis at LB this year. just like Ragland, Foster and SDH, I think they'll be waiting their turns till they are juniors. Evans will be a senior and would not have gotten any starts if not for SDH going down. We'll see them on special teams, maybe in some packages (I could especially see one of them playing in the goal line package where we've usually brought in another ILB). Since Davis spent some time at OLB in the spring, he has a chance to get into the rotation some as we typically rotate the OLBs a bit more as pass rushers while we almost never rotate the ILBs. That said, between Miller, Jennings and Hall as primary guys with Mosley and Brown also very capable of quality reps it's congested there also, which is why I don't know if they'd try to slide Moses there instead of letting him focus on development off the LOS since that's where his future is and where he took almost all of his snaps in HS despite the recruiting folks tabbing him as an OLB.
Yea I agree on the Davis and Wilson front for the most part. I'm sure we will see Wilson make some plays on special teams.

I think Moses will most likely focus on traditional LB duties at first but I could be completely wrong. I would be shocked if we don't see him play a decent amount for a freshman somewhere though.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yea I agree on the Davis and Wilson front for the most part. I'm sure we will see Wilson make some plays on special teams.

I think Moses will most likely focus on traditional LB duties at first but I could be completely wrong. I would be shocked if we don't see him play a decent amount for a freshman somewhere though.
I'm sure he'll be on a lot of special teams, but as far as regular defense, i'm not sure if he steps in front of Wilson/holcombe for getting reps in game situations.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Have to think Mack Wilson finds his way into the ILB rotation with Evans and SDH. The staff is going to want him to have reps with the 1s before going into next season as the clear guy at the position.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Have to think Mack Wilson finds his way into the ILB rotation with Evans and SDH. The staff is going to want him to have reps with the 1s before going into next season as the clear guy at the position.
Agreed.

I also think reports on Moses are pervasive enough that he plays early as a pass rusher. More time will depend on how well he learns the defense.

Asking him to make a read, communicate with other defenders, and react accordingly might be asking too much, especially in the first half of the season.

If, on the other hand, his duties are, "sic 'em," well, he can handle that.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agreed.

I also think reports on Moses are pervasive enough that he plays early as a pass rusher. More time will depend on how well he learns the defense.

Asking him to make a read, communicate with other defenders, and react accordingly might be asking too much, especially in the first half of the season.

If, on the other hand, his duties are, "sic 'em," well, he can handle that.
Agreed. Learning the defense is everything. Reuben was as heralded or more so than Dylan and he only saw the field as a special teams guy as a freshman (and soph). Specialty situations will be his only way to get on the field on defense IMO and he will be a special teams star just as Reuben was.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I hope so. Would like to see what he can do as more than a special teams guy and lead blocker.

Agreed. Learning the defense is everything. Reuben was as heralded or more so than Dylan and he only saw the field as a special teams guy as a freshman (and soph). Specialty situations will be his only way to get on the field on defense IMO and he will be a special teams star just as Reuben was.
Yea, Reuben is interesting case too. He is IMO the most talented ILB (to this point) under Saban. Actually, maybe Mosley was but Reuben is 1 or 2. But reports coming out from the draft were that he struggled to learn plays the "traditional" way.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I hope so. Would like to see what he can do as more than a special teams guy and lead blocker.

Yea, Reuben is interesting case too. He is IMO the most talented ILB (to this point) under Saban. Actually, maybe Mosley was but Reuben is 1 or 2. But reports coming out from the draft were that he struggled to learn plays the "traditional" way.
Reuben may have more physical talent, but Mosley had the best instincts I've ever seen in a freshman.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Reuben may have more physical talent, but Mosley had the best instincts I've ever seen in a freshman.
DeMeco Ryans was so good that he lifted a Shula coached team into national championship contention.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.