Link: Darius Philon Sets Record Straight on Alabama, Arkansas and National Signing Day

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

It has been more than five years since the 2012 version of National Signing Day has come and gone.

That year will be remembered for one of Alabama's own.

Mobile's Darius Philon of Vigor High School was committed to the Crimson Tide. He had the hat. He was on the stage.

In a twist, he told the crowd that attended his press conference he was "undecided."

Truth is, the decision was made for him.

Philon tore his meniscus during the playoffs of his senior year with the Wolves. He was committed to the Tide. However, he was told by Alabama he would have to grayshirt.

Philon joined me on The Opening Kickoff on WNSP-FM 105.5 to talk about the events that played out leading up to his National Signing Day in 2012.

The narrative at the time was that after Philon donned an Alabama cap during an emotional and confusing signing day ceremony, he signed with Arkansas later in the day.

That wasn't the case, according to Philon.

"I had sent my papers in to Arkansas way before I was on the stage," Philon said of the day.
So for all the bad publicity Alabama and Nick Saban took for this whole episode, the kid wasn't even coming to Alabama.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Never let the facts get in the way of your narrative. Why wait until now to "set the record straight"? Because none of those hammering CNS wanted to come back and eat crow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.