Pete Carroll on how he was unable to recruit Julio

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Does anyone believe this?

http://alabama.247sports.com/tu/MjA4NDc1NnRpbnkyNDc=

We loved Julio so much, and he went to his high school in the middle of nowhere, in the sticks there in Alabama. We flew in to see him, and once we got out of the car, at the football field, during the middle of practice, coach saw me and knew who I was. He took Jones off the field, ran him inside, got the principal and the athletic director, and locked the school.”

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

We loved Julio so much, and he went to his high school in the middle of nowhere, in the sticks there in Alabama. We flew in to see him, and once we got out of the car, at the football field, during the middle of practice, coach saw me and knew who I was. He took Jones off the field, ran him inside, got the principal and the athletic director, and locked the school.”
​Must be true given Carrol's penchant for integrity.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

We have NO QUOTE from Carroll - we have someone saying Carroll said such and such (e.g. hearsay evidence).

I think this is one of those apocryphal stories with no basis in reality. It SOUNDS good and makes a good story - like the lie about Michael Jordan getting cut from his high school team (no, he played JV as a sophomore like almost every other sophomore does......Jordan still made a team that was to be expected).

Here's one I DO know - in the fall of 1982, Alabama tried to recruit future MSU option QB/Buffalo Bills RB/prisoner Don Smith out of Hamilton High School in Mississippi - and the locals successfully hid Smith from the prying eyes of our recruiters. (Hamilton is literally in the middle of nowhere and once had a 51-game high school winning streak and ran through several consecutive state titles; in 1977, they went an entire high school season without surrendering a single point).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
True or not, Julio obviously made the right decision. Coach Saban is still here, has won several NCs including one with Julio in 2009, and Carroll departed USC after the 2009 season and left the program in shambles.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's all hearsay but to be honest I don't find it hard to believe.
I don't find it hard to believe, but it's a little ridiculous even by 2007 standards to think that Carroll couldn't find Jones if he really
wanted him. This is not the old days of trying to locate folks off of dirt roads off the dirt road - even folks who live that way nowadays
can easily be found.

Yeah, it MIGHT be true, but I doubt it. Nevertheless, it certainly was the right move for Julio to make.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
I don't find it hard to believe, but it's a little ridiculous even by 2007 standards to think that Carroll couldn't find Jones if he really
wanted him. This is not the old days of trying to locate folks off of dirt roads off the dirt road - even folks who live that way nowadays
can easily be found.

Yeah, it MIGHT be true, but I doubt it. Nevertheless, it certainly was the right move for Julio to make.
Exactly. Foley is not exactly the 'sticks' either. Easily found and adjacent to major vacation spots. Another one of those 'soundbite' articles with no substance.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
We have NO QUOTE from Carroll - we have someone saying Carroll said such and such (e.g. hearsay evidence).

I think this is one of those apocryphal stories with no basis in reality. It SOUNDS good and makes a good story - like the lie about Michael Jordan getting cut from his high school team (no, he played JV as a sophomore like almost every other sophomore does......Jordan still made a team that was to be expected).

Here's one I DO know - in the fall of 1982, Alabama tried to recruit future MSU option QB/Buffalo Bills RB/prisoner Don Smith out of Hamilton High School in Mississippi - and the locals successfully hid Smith from the prying eyes of our recruiters. (Hamilton is literally in the middle of nowhere and once had a 51-game high school winning streak and ran through several consecutive state titles; in 1977, they went an entire high school season without surrendering a single point).
Two miles off Highway 45 between Columbus and Tupelo isn't Yankee Stadium, but it's not the middle of nowhere, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Do high schools in Alabama have Athletic Directors now? Maybe things have changed in the 45 years since i was in high school. I know, its a minor point. As mentioned before, if he really wanted Julio that bad he could have found him somehow to talk. Good story, but it doesn't sound like Coach Saban offering immediately on the phone just because someone else is snooping around. Could be though. .

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
can easily be found.

Yea, I can probably believe that there is some truth to it but i find it really hard to believe he if he really wanted Julio that this would have stopped him.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
This just sounds made up. We were not the greatest team in 2007. We had just lost to Louisiana-Monroe that year. No one was expecting us to become what we became. Not yet anyway. USC at that time was the "dynasty" team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Two miles off Highway 45 between Columbus and Tupelo isn't Yankee Stadium, but it's not the middle of nowhere, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was in 1982, though.

ETA: I lived in Caledonia and the changes there since 1982 are astouding (we used to play Hamilton in the opener every year).

I also suspect the bigger issue was the fact that Bryant resigned and we were going away from the wishbone to a pro set anyway. Smith was not cut out to be that kind of QB.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Does anyone else feel reminded about the story of John McKay trying to get John Mitchell of mobile to USC?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's your quote:

In Julio Jones' senior football season at Foley High School in 2007, he was a Parade, USA Today and Under Armour All-American, the Class 6A Player of the Year and 6A Back of the Year and the state's Mr. Football, the only wide receiver who's earned that honor since 1984.

Of course, coaches at college football programs across the nation hoped Jones would come to their school, including Pete Carroll, who held the reins at Southern Cal.

"He's a great player," Carroll said at a press conference last week. "There was a time when we went down -- I can't remember the town he was in -- but we went down to Alabama to go visit him and see if we could have a chance to get recruiting on him. We had a chance to see him like in the parking lot, and some people from the school grabbed him and took him in the back room, and before you knew it, I think there was an Alabama coach on the way to the campus, and we couldn't even get near the guy at the time.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the article falls under the realm of good ol clickbait.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.