Daboll's Impact on Recruiting

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd be shocked if we don't sign a QB in this class. And you'd think it would have to be a top of the class kind of guy because nothing short of a stud qb will come to Bama right now to only look up the ladder at the guys in front of him.

One thing about these young guys is they are no longer intimidated by guys already on the roster.

But we need a qb in this class. One transfer and our qb depth is beyond razor thin.

And yes, Daboll's connection to Brady will serve us well!

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
The QB who comes in on this cycle will be the only senior QB on the roster 4 years later, and has the best shot of running the offense for a national championship run that year. I think we will get a good QB.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'd be shocked if we don't sign a QB in this class. And you'd think it would have to be a top of the class kind of guy because nothing short of a stud qb will come to Bama right now to only look up the ladder at the guys in front of him.

One thing about these young guys is they are no longer intimidated by guys already on the roster.

But we need a qb in this class. One transfer and our qb depth is beyond razor thin.

And yes, Daboll's connection to Brady will serve us well!
Well good thing is, I don't see anyone transferring. Tua is a play away from starting, and Mac is close enough to being the starting QB at Bama as another true freshman and he is just two plays away.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I do not know what Daboll's effect will ultimately be on our recruiting until he goes through this upcoming and the following recruiting class. Meaning that I want to see how he does at closing the deal and granted he has, maybe, the best closer in the business. But, I have seen him interact with the kids and they do enjoy talking to him and hearing what he has to say. The guy came across as very personable and seem to have a knack for getting the kids to loosen up and talk. At least that was an observation from what little I witnessed. And, I am getting old enough to call recruits, "kids". ugh.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is not intened as anything negative relative to Coach Daboll, but if I am either one of these two QBs I am not riding the pine for 2-3 years at Alabama. There are many very good or even great programs that would offer them quicker starting time than Alabama. I am not going to mention red shirting or transferring, just if these guys want to play in the next 2-3 years Alabama is not the place to go.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
This is not intened as anything negative relative to Coach Daboll, but if I am either one of these two QBs I am not riding the pine for 2-3 years at Alabama. There are many very good or even great programs that would offer them quicker starting time than Alabama. I am not going to mention red shirting or transferring, just if these guys want to play in the next 2-3 years Alabama is not the place to go.
Correct JRIII, and you know recruiters from other schools will pull that out from the get go to dissuade a top QB from signing with us.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is the case foe many positions on our roster. If you are a competitor and winner you come play for us and wait you turn. It is somewhat unusual for this day and time but this is Bama now.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For some reason, our insiders are extremely confident on Fields. So are UGA's, UF's and FSU's. Somebody is going to look really dumb when he commits.
Dub, you know he ain't going to Auburn. Now, he might go to UF, get in trouble, and then transfer to Auburn. :biggrin:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
As all of you probably well know, I think some of these 5* QB's look at a program sometimes and think that they can come in an adjust their game to whatever style of offense that the OC runs at that particular program, especially here at Bama. Because right now, we're the top tier program that has the best chance for a Natty each year. There's no doubt about that they are fine QB's, but sometimes they don't adjust and develop the way that the staff would hope they would, and they end up transferring because someone else beat them out. Often times they leave to another program to where they shine, or at last do pretty decent. I know Daboll most likely takes this into account when recruiting. It's probably going to take me a couple of recruiting classes under him to see what he brings to Bama and how they develop. As a given, it can't be bad using Brady as a recruiting tool. JMO

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am more excited to see his play calling than his recruiting prowess. I mean, he coaches for Saban at Alabama. He used to coach for Belichick at New England. He doesn't even have to open his mouth to have players want to be around him. But they didn't bring him to Alabama to recruit. The hunt for #17 continues.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is the case foe many positions on our roster. If you are a competitor and winner you come play for us and wait you turn. It is somewhat unusual for this day and time but this is Bama now.
In the "old days" I would agree with you. These kids have so much exposure and are exposed to so much attention that they see waiting their turn, even for CNS at Alabama, may not compare to starting as a true freshman or RS freshman at Oregon or NC State. If they are that good then they can make it to the NFL without CNS; although they will miss the experience, in most cases, of playing for a national contender. They have to make their choice and it should be noted that not every 5 star recruits wants to play for Alabama.

EDIT: With true sophomore QB Jacob Eason and true freshman QB Jake Fromm, UGA has the same problem we have with Jalen and Tua.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I am more excited to see his play calling than his recruiting prowess. I mean, he coaches for Saban at Alabama. He used to coach for Belichick at New England. He doesn't even have to open his mouth to have players want to be around him. But they didn't bring him to Alabama to recruit. The hunt for #17 continues.
Yea I agree completely. I just knew that some people were really concerned that he wouldn't help with recruiting at all or somehow be a hindrance. This seems to prove that false.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Yea I agree completely. I just knew that some people were really concerned that he wouldn't help with recruiting at all or somehow be a hindrance. This seems to prove that false.
Saban hires coaches that can recruit. I can't recall him ever hiring one that couldn't... :cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.