Quad tailgating prices going up

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So what do you suggest? I have no answer, I'm just curious as to what you propose as a solution. The reality is this - attending UA is FAR more expensive than it was when I attended in the early 90s, far outstripping inflation...

Are poorer fans more valuable than wealthier fanes? Or vice-versa?

Are older fans more valuable than younger fanes? Or vice-versa?

Just wondering how you feel the university should handle this.
A man after my managerial heart. In an entirely different arena, I deal with this issue daily.

Lotsa whining, essentially that there is no free lunch. At least not for them.

Unfortunately, I can't offer much encouragement that you'll get any reply other than the slipstream.

When confronted with the laws of economics, my experience is that the whiners offer no solutions, only continued whining that, "there has to be a better way."

What they're essentially saying is that there has to be a way whereby we have nine-figure football stadium expansions, near nine figure coaching staffs, world class facilities for non-revenue sports, equal scholarship counts for their daughters, and prices for all that comparable to what they were used to when they themselves were students.

Adjusted for inflation, of course.

I assure you, the growing attraction of a 70+ inch 4K SHDTV, with pause, AC, unlimited beverages of your choice (at grocery store prices), a clean bathroom within 10 steps, and no drunk kids going down the row during prime game time, is not lost on Greg Byrne.

I get it. I'm reaching my choke point too.

But it's a lot easier to throw rocks than to build a program. So what's your recommendation?

How would you maintain current levels of success, keep up on the facilities war, keep Title IX happy, and make it all affordable?

Anybody buddies with the tooth fairy?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This is not a normal business model problem to solve. Every place I worked over my 52 year career dealt with problems by laying off and/or reducing salaries and no raise or a tiny 1% raise. Obviously college football is not doing that. Instead they are raising salaries and on a spending spree with new facilities and that sort of thing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I assure you, the growing attraction of a 70+ inch 4K SHDTV, with pause, AC, unlimited beverages of your choice (at grocery store prices), a clean bathroom within 10 steps, and no drunk kids going down the row during prime game time, is not lost on Greg Byrne.
Yup - I generally only go to one Alabama game per year. I enjoy the experience, but as I've gotten older I enjoy the comforts of home (including everything you listed) for most games.

I get it. I'm reaching my choke point too.
Yup. No way I'll spend what they're asking to regularly attend football games, been that way for years. My point (and yours, I think) is that as long as demand is stronger than the supply, the prices will rise. At some point the product won't be as good, demand will fall, and there will likely be a price freeze (or even a reduction in some costs).

Until then, we should all be thankful that the program we love is so successful that the demand is what it is. I can probably count on one hand (perhaps on one finger) the number of programs absorbing these sorts of costs by having a rabid fanbase willing to spend whatever it costs to be there...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I would also note the University has a $1.2 billion endowment. It's not as if we are barely keeping the lights on.
I've not looked at it, but I suspect that endowment is academic, not for the AD. They're financially separate.

And for the record, the AD does need to monetize everything they can - it's the only way they can stay in the black whilst supporting all the programs they have to offer under Title IX. There's a reason only a handful of ADs in the entire country operate in the black...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't think the University must monetize everything. They don't have to charge 400% for vending. They don't have to drive up the price of tickets. They don't have to charge for quad space.

A private entity's driving force is profit, and they should do everything in their power to raise profits and reward shareholders. The university is public, and the considerations should be different. You mention tuition. It is rising because universities know that with guaranteed government loans, it literally does not matter how high tuition goes. It will always get paid. But should they succumb to that temptation? I don't think they should. I think the state's public university has at least some obligation to be generally affordable to the average citizen.

Returning to the gameday experience, I think there will be long term consequences. As the television experience gets better and better and as the price to attend a game with the family gets higher and higher, your average Joe will stop going. The games will still sell out, but they will have become more and more corporate events, like mini Super Bowls. And for the next generation, the experiences that made so many of us lifelong fans will be fewer and fewer. The magic of college football will be lost, and the transition to a professional atmosphere will be complete.
All fair points. But they ignore the implications of their implementation.

The Athletic Department doesn't turn a huge profit. True, it doesn't drain the General Fund, as is the case at most schools. But there isn't a ton left over at the end of the year.

Point being, if they cut revenue, the money has to come from somewhere. Where do you suggest?

You could cut the budgets of the sports programs. If so, which ones and where? Keeping in mind the consequences of doing so.

You could raid the general fund. If so, you're taking money from another non-athletic program. Which one(s) do you suggest?

You mention that "...the state's public university has at least some obligation to be generally affordable to the average citizen." Have you checked the cost of other states' flagship institutions?

One reason the University of Alabama has recruited out-of-state students so well is that its out of state tuition is comparable to others' in-state cost. So UA does indeed offer an outstanding educational value. And that's not just my opinion....it's backed up by record applications, record enrollment, and record academic qualifications for the student body. Students and their parents are putting their money where their mouths are. Further, students of this caliber have options. They can easily go elsewhere, but they're choosing Tuscaloosa.

I guess you could make up the lost revenue by cutting the quality of the education. But that surely can't be the option you'd prefer.

So where would you make up the revenue lost by making quad places, concessions, and ticket prices less expensive?

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Nothing 4Q just said is in contradiction with what BiB said.

We're a very middle class family - on the cusp of some growth, though - and I can tell you that the overall game day cost is the biggest reason we've not attended a game in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something worth remembering when discussing concession stand prices - the volunteers get a portion of that money for their respective organizations.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
All fair points. But they ignore the implications of their implementation.

The Athletic Department doesn't turn a huge profit. True, it doesn't drain the General Fund, as is the case at most schools. But there isn't a ton left over at the end of the year.

Point being, if they cut revenue, the money has to come from somewhere. Where do you suggest?

You could cut the budgets of the sports programs. If so, which ones and where? Keeping in mind the consequences of doing so.

You could raid the general fund. If so, you're taking money from another non-athletic program. Which one(s) do you suggest?

You mention that "...the state's public university has at least some obligation to be generally affordable to the average citizen." Have you checked the cost of other states' flagship institutions?

One reason the University of Alabama has recruited out-of-state students so well is that its out of state tuition is comparable to others' in-state cost. So UA does indeed offer an outstanding educational value. And that's not just my opinion....it's backed up by record applications, record enrollment, and record academic qualifications for the student body. Students and their parents are putting their money where their mouths are. Further, students of this caliber have options. They can easily go elsewhere, but they're choosing Tuscaloosa.

I guess you could make up the lost revenue by cutting the quality of the education. But that surely can't be the option you'd prefer.

So where would you make up the revenue lost by making quad places, concessions, and ticket prices less expensive?
Do have any idea how many Vice Presidents in charge of XYZ there are on campus?

I think you're assuming the university is always in the right, and that's just not the case.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
We continue to buy our tickets, but our 'tailgating' is now done at local Tuscaloosa/Northport restaurants - no gear to haul, no setup/breakdown, no space to reserve, no tents to rent - it works well for us and we get to spread the food dollars around the community. We combat the high prices of stadium vending by essentially avoiding it. It's been longer than I can remember since the University did anything, from a monetary viewpoint, for the benefit and/or advantage of their fan base. They realize they can charge whatever prices they want (for tickets, parking, apparel, food, etc.) and, therefore, do so. It's our decision as to when our angst over their pricing exceeds our enjoyment of the game day experience. Until that happens, we'll keep going. When that enjoyment ends, so will our attendance.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
The university is bringing in more Revenue than ever

There is no need to share crop out the quad. It is just bass greed and extortion in a sense

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I attended my first ever post season game in January, I was able to make it a work related expense by entering a client for the game, tickets $900 for the pair, I flew down on my miles, stayed with a friend in Palm Harbor, and got a deal on the rental car from Saturday- Tuesday.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
In reading the article one thing that hit me was the guy complaining about the price increase:

"Among the differences, each package purchased through the Tailgate Guys requires the full-service amenities. In the past, they could get just the 10x10 tent with the option to bring extra tents if desired. Stewart's group had as many as nine tents in this group in the past. Now the Tailgate Guys requires an extra full package ($2,415 season minimum) for each additional tent.

The $2,415 season package includes the 10x10 tent, a six-foot table, white linens, six tailgating chairs, personalized signage and the set-up/clean-up services.

A similar package with those amenities sold for $3,000 last year, but that financial meeting in the middle didn't work for Stewart's group if they had to pay for the additional tents that were previously supplied by the group itself."

So, they paid $3,000 last year for a 10x10 tent, table, linens, set up/clean up and chairs. This year the price for the set up has actually decreased but, they are griping they can't bring extra tents for free anymore. I fully understand the reasoning behind that. You have inconsiderate people who try to stuff tents/chairs/tables in spaces they don't fit and end up encroaching on others space.

I hear people say all the time middle class families can't go to a MLB game. Well, yes you can... You don't have to sit behind home plate on row 1. You don't have to have 6 beers, nachos, 3 hot dogs, peanuts, get 3 items from the gift shop. Nor do you need to valet park. Almost every MLB stadium allows you to bring is a bottle of water and snacks in a soft side cooler. Also, there is nothing wrong with eating dinner before the game. I went to a game at Yankee Stadium last summer and for 4 of us we spent less than $200.00. We got 4 tickets for $35 each, (middle level behind 3B with Master Card 1/2 price deal), parking was $12 (yeah we had to walk about 0.3 miles), we each had a $8 beer. I can go to a Rangers game out here even cheaper.

At the end of the day, if people don't pay what they believe are inflated prices to tailgate on the quad, UA will be forced to lower them. Just like if people didn't buy tickets off of Stub Hub, the pro scalpers would be out of the market and prices would go down across the board.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In reading the article one thing that hit me was the guy complaining about the price increase:

"Among the differences, each package purchased through the Tailgate Guys requires the full-service amenities. In the past, they could get just the 10x10 tent with the option to bring extra tents if desired. Stewart's group had as many as nine tents in this group in the past. Now the Tailgate Guys requires an extra full package ($2,415 season minimum) for each additional tent.

The $2,415 season package includes the 10x10 tent, a six-foot table, white linens, six tailgating chairs, personalized signage and the set-up/clean-up services.

A similar package with those amenities sold for $3,000 last year, but that financial meeting in the middle didn't work for Stewart's group if they had to pay for the additional tents that were previously supplied by the group itself."

So, they paid $3,000 last year for a 10x10 tent, table, linens, set up/clean up and chairs. This year the price for the set up has actually decreased but, they are griping they can't bring extra tents for free anymore. I fully understand the reasoning behind that. You have inconsiderate people who try to stuff tents/chairs/tables in spaces they don't fit and end up encroaching on others space.

I hear people say all the time middle class families can't go to a MLB game. Well, yes you can... You don't have to sit behind home plate on row 1. You don't have to have 6 beers, nachos, 3 hot dogs, peanuts, get 3 items from the gift shop. Nor do you need to valet park. Almost every MLB stadium allows you to bring is a bottle of water and snacks in a soft side cooler. Also, there is nothing wrong with eating dinner before the game. I went to a game at Yankee Stadium last summer and for 4 of us we spent less than $200.00. We got 4 tickets for $35 each, (middle level behind 3B with Master Card 1/2 price deal), parking was $12 (yeah we had to walk about 0.3 miles), we each had a $8 beer. I can go to a Rangers game out here even cheaper.

At the end of the day, if people don't pay what they believe are inflated prices to tailgate on the quad, UA will be forced to lower them. Just like if people didn't buy tickets off of Stub Hub, the pro scalpers would be out of the market and prices would go down across the board.
You're MEAN....

I want what I want, the way I want it, for a price I want to pay.

If I can't have it, well.....well...it's just not FAIR! Somebody somewhere should have to make me happy!!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the biggest problem with the new rules. The company is based in Auburn.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's the same thinking behind Disney being expensive. Imagine how crowded it would be if Disney was affordable for everyone. People will still go to games.

I'll never forget a story a speaker told at a conference I went to a few years ago. He was telling about the time he and his wife took their grandkids to Disney World. As they entered one of the parks, his wife began complaining that "Mickey" was charging way too much for everything. He stopped his wife and said "honey, look around you. look at all the people in this park. Mickey isn't charging too much, in fact, he's probably not charging enough."

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Everyone here understands a marketplace and speaking for myself and - with due consideration - BiB, we fully support an open market.

But there's a weird space in markets and relationships where perhaps suppliers consider that what they are selling is not a mere widget but something harder to quantify, and the more they treat it like a widget, the less attached people will be to it.

That tailgate setup has a whiff of pre-1789 France to it, and I say that as someone who hates Rousseau with a bloody passion.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I'll never forget a story a speaker told at a conference I went to a few years ago. He was telling about the time he and his wife took their grandkids to Disney World. As they entered one of the parks, his wife began complaining that "Mickey" was charging way too much for everything. He stopped his wife and said "honey, look around you. look at all the people in this park. Mickey isn't charging too much, in fact, he's probably not charging enough."
We went a few years ago the last week of October and the place was still packed with kids. While waiting in line a guy asked a couple of adults who had several kids if they were on a school trip and the response was "No, we pulled our kids out of school this week b/c it is unfair to expect a kid to go to school Labor Day to Thanksgiving without a week off, they need time to be kids"

BamaWally

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2012
My extended family rented the same tailgate tent space for 20+ years. It was nice to visit with friends and family there. Stopped last year due to price increase. I noticed that about half of the tent spaces around where they used rent were vacated all last season. Will be interesting to see if that becomes a trend. True, there are companies and rich elite on the quad, but there are/were middle / upper middle class that are getting squeezed out.

It's not just Alabama Football. High ticket prices, $5 popcorn and $6 coke have stopped me from going to movies. Just not worth it to me.

But, since we are 30 minutes from the stadium, can park downtown for free, take a nice LONG walk holding hands with my wife around the quad and to the game, reminisce about meeting her there 30 years ago and cheer on the Tide with 102,000+ of my fellow Bama brethren, I'll know where I'll be on September 9th!

ROLL TIDE !!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But, since we are 30 minutes from the stadium, can park downtown for free, take a nice LONG walk holding hands with my wife around the quad and to the game, reminisce about meeting her there 30 years ago and cheer on the Tide with 102,000+ of my fellow Bama brethren, I'll know where I'll be on September 9th!

ROLL TIDE !!
Made me smile, thanks for this.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.