Le Tour 2017

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Just started today. Even if you're not necessarily a fan of cycling it's a fantastic sporting event.

The veteran commentator team of Phil Liggitt and Paul Sherwin plus the scenic backdrops over this 3 week long event is unparalleled in any other sporting event.

This year's event starts with a 14-kilometre time-trial in the streets of Düsseldorf and (almost) ends with another individual time trial.

Running from Saturday July 1st to Sunday July 23rd 2017, the 104th Tour de France will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,540 kilometres.

- 9 flat stages
- 5 hilly stages
- 5 mountain stages including altitude finishes (La Planche des Belles Filles, Peyragudes, Izoard)
- 2 individual time-trials stages
- 2 rest days

There are multiple opportunities each day to view that day's stage including the expanded 8pm (eastern) slot.

TV coverage is on NBC Sports Network (NBCSN).

More info HERE

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
No Tejay van Garderen this year :(

A thin harvest: Three Americans in Tour de France

Matching a two-decade low from two years ago, only three American riders will race in cycling’s marquee event. It’s even worse for Canada, with zero representation.
All three — Taylor Phinney, Nathan Brown, and Andrew Talansky — wear Cannondale-Drapac colors.

More HERE

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL
And just like that....one of my favourite riders is out..... :(
Same for me; really disappointed to see Valverde out. I was on the Quintana fan bandwagon again this year and this will have a negative impact on the MoviStar team. I told my husband that maybe I should go check in on Contador this year . . . Just would like to see a race with some competition. The recent Sky domination makes the Tour as uninteresting as it was in Lance's USPS Blue Train years :frown:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
It was ruined long before Lance. Everyone is/was juicing and that is why they all knew Lance was.
The sport of cycling is notorious for its culture of cheating—made most famous by the rise and fall of Lance Armstrong and his use of performance-enhancing drugs. Now when cycling hopes to be cleansed of the dopers there’s a surprising new twist—riders enhancing the bike’s performance. Some professional racers aren’t putting steroids and blood boosters in their veins they’re hiding motors in their bike frames. We followed a lead to Budapest, Hungary, and met an engineer who said he built the first secret bike motor back in 1998. And he told us motors have been used in the Tour de France. Our story tonight is not about the latest drugs the riders are using to cheat…it’s all about enhancing the bike.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-investigates-hidden-motors-and-pro-cycling/

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Same for me; really disappointed to see Valverde out. I was on the Quintana fan bandwagon again this year and this will have a negative impact on the MoviStar team. I told my husband that maybe I should go check in on Contador this year . . . Just would like to see a race with some competition. The recent Sky domination makes the Tour as uninteresting as it was in Lance's USPS Blue Train years :frown:
Regarding the crash, I agree with Bob Roll's comments about how inexcusable it is to not have some kind of padding in those corners - even if only hay bales....instead of metal barricades. I'm sure we will see some changes on this going forward so perhaps AV's crash will have some positive impact. I understand his patella was injured, which for a cyclist (heck, for anyone really) is a terrible injury.

I hear what you're saying about Skye's domination but all of us who have been watching the event for any length of time knows that's par for the course. Look at Big Mig's domination for all those years in a row. That got a little boring...but it didn't last (he finally retired...lol!)

What I enjoy are the changes in the course every year, the scenery, Phil and Paul's insights and general comments about the area history and culture, and of course the drama of the race itself and how it evolves throughout the event.

Gotta say...the day Phil and/or Paul step down...it will not be nearly as enjoyable for me.

So CF has a decent lead now over his contenders....(35 to 42 sec.) lead over RP, NQ, RB - 2nd last year, and AC. And the real racing starts tomorrow.....:p

Best wishes for a full recovery, Allejandro.....you will be missed! :(

Last edited:

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL
. . . Phil and Paul's insights and general comments about the area history and culture
Phil's collection of "Ligget-isms" is one of our favorites every year. Always looking forward to his discussions of "unpacking suitcases of courage," "dancing on the pedals," and, of course, the "big fancy men!" Paul's castle descriptions, though, do run a close second.:D

I know it's not for everyone, but we love watching the Tour every July.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
I was looking forward to watching Valverde and Quintana attack Sky in the mountains. They had no chance, but it was going to be fun to watch. Oh well, maybe Talansky will be on his game this year.

Froome is a beast.

The cheating has really dropped off over the last few years. The times on the. Climbs now equal the times before the doping era.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
f
How about Taylor Phinney? Finished 12th and a really great interview with the commentator crew afterwards. I really like this kid....good cycling genes! ;)
I like this kid. He is in the breakaway today! I DVR'd it so I'm watching on a delay.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.