Le Tour 2017

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Looks like we have a new American rider to pull for this year! What kills me are his interviews....sounds like a child of the 60's! So laid back.....I love it....

Great stage today except for the crash.

Happy for MK to get the stage win. He's a good guy and I know as a German this meant a lot to him!

I'm so happy this event is on again!

Watching it again right now.....;)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Peter Sagan disqualified from Tour de France after elbow on Mark Cavendish

I have mixed feelings about this.....when I watched the reply I admit it looked like PS threw his right elbow out and into MC...but in looking at other clips of the crash it also looked like there wasn't a lot of room for the number of cyclists in the immediate space they were in and this could have been chalked up to just a racing incident within' a sprint episode.

I will have to watch and read more before commenting further. For now it's a big disappointment. :(

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
After watching the footage of the incident several more times and giving this some more thought.......I'm very disappointed in the decision to disqualify PS from the tour. I think there is not enough evidence to suggest he committed the level of misbehaviour that would justify such a serious and far reaching decision such has been made.

I'm also a little disappointed in Cav for not making a statement that he disagrees with the decision. I think he pushed himself into an unsafe position and should be held responsible to some degree of what happened. Some are saying he is 100% responsible. I can't go that far....but that is how some are seeing it....which to me makes you wonder all the more about this terrible decision against PS.

I guarantee there is more fallout to come over this......in some form or fashion.

What a travesty....:mad:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Wish I could understand being into this - it's like watching golf to me. I just don't get the fascination.

I can understand how someone who is watching a cycling event for their first time might not appreciate the sport per se. But the TDF is akin to watching the 24 Hours of Le Mans vs. just watching a standard automobile race that might last 2 hours.

At some point there has to be an appreciation of the endurance aspects.

Additionally...the main commentator duo of this event (Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin) do an amazing job of explaining and describing the historical references of the various parts of Europe the tour visits as the event moves forward. Discussion includes geography of the land itself and history behind many of the villages, town, cities, and their associated landmarks. The fact alone that this event is held in Europe provides a wonderful opportunity and backdrop for this type of commentary. We are truly looking at the "Old World" and it's very intriguing for those who appreciate the aspects of history and heritage.

There is also a long history of this event and with that brings a long history of the participants. The riders. They come from all over the world and many have been competing in the TDF for many years. They represent their country as well as the team they ride for. These cyclists are among the most fit of any athletes in the world. Which is another aspect that creates interest in this event...the marvel and admiration one has for both mental and physical attributes necessary to compete at this level of sport.

I could go on and on but those are a few reasons this event is unlike any other sporting event and why I appreciate it so much.

I also feel it's a bit of an acquired taste. Most fans have been watching for years...and the more you watch the better it gets...IMHO.

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL
:eek: Totally disappointed that Sagan was DQ'd from the entire race. I like Jens Voigt's recommendation of time penalty, Green jersey point penalty, and last place time placement for that stage. I've seen Cavendish (as well as other sprinters) lean in too many times and I think the slow motion shots (here) show Sagan's response was to Cav. But, obviously, race directors didn't ask for my judgment :wink:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
:eek: Totally disappointed that Sagan was DQ'd from the entire race. I like Jens Voigt's recommendation of time penalty, Green jersey point penalty, and last place time placement for that stage. I've seen Cavendish (as well as other sprinters) lean in too many times and I think the slow motion shots (here) show Sagan's response was to Cav. But, obviously, race directors didn't ask for my judgment :wink:

They're talking about it right now.....

Paul Sherwin just went through his observations and opinion as they showed a slowed down almost frame by frame playback of the incident showing Cav sticking HIS elbow and head into PS as he came up on his side. Said PS threw his elbow out just to maintain his balance.

Terrible decision and so unjust.....

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I can understand how someone who is watching a cycling event for their first time might not appreciate the sport per se. But the TDF is akin to watching the 24 Hours of Le Mans vs. just watching a standard automobile race that might last 2 hours.

At some point there has to be an appreciation of the endurance aspects.

Additionally...the main commentator duo of this event (Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin) do an amazing job of explaining and describing the historical references of the various parts of Europe the tour visits as the event moves forward. Discussion includes geography of the land itself and history behind many of the villages, town, cities, and their associated landmarks. The fact alone that this event is held in Europe provides a wonderful opportunity and backdrop for this type of commentary. We are truly looking at the "Old World" and it's very intriguing for those who appreciate the aspects of history and heritage.

There is also a long history of this event and with that brings a long history of the participants. The riders. They come from all over the world and many have been competing in the TDF for many years. They represent their country as well as the team they ride for. These cyclists are among the most fit of any athletes in the world. Which is another aspect that creates interest in this event...the marvel and admiration one has for both mental and physical attributes necessary to compete at this level of sport.

I could go on and on but those are a few reasons this event is unlike any other sporting event and why I appreciate it so much.

I also feel it's a bit of an acquired taste. Most fans have been watching for years...and the more you watch the better it gets...IMHO.
i started watching when i was a kid. i watched a bit of last year's race, but haven't watched too much since the whole lance armstrong fiasco

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
i started watching when i was a kid. i watched a bit of last year's race, but haven't watched too much since the whole lance armstrong fiasco
There were a few years that is wasn't as interesting....so I didn't watch as much then either.

One of the best things to happen to the sport (and in particular this event) is the emergence of Peter Sagan. And now from the USA we have some newcomers including Taylor Phinney. The sport needs cyclists with PERSONALITIES. Both these guys have that...which creates more interest...for me anyway....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Ok last few days my enthusiasm dropped a bit but now have something coming up that should be very interesting.....

Stage 9 tomorrow has 7 categorized climbs including 3 HC. It is supposed to be the hardest stage of the tour. And it starts right from the beginning.

Here are the HCs:

a. Col de la Biche – 10.5km average 9% - about 950m/3100’ climb

b. Grand Columbier – 8.5km @ 10% with parts @ 22% - about 850m/2800’ climb

c. Col du Chat – 8.7km @ 10.3% with parts @ 15% - about 900m/2950’ climb to finish

Will be back on NBCSN with 3 time slots:

7 am
Noon
9:30 pm

I'm taking door number 2....noon option.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Well well......as of Stage 12 (yesterday) we have a new maillot jaune wearer.....and the race just got interesting again.

With another ITT at the end, if anyone is to defeat CF...they had better get a pretty good lead between now and then....

Going to watch Stage 13 tonight.....will be interesting to see how Team Astana handles things....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Hey everyone......in case it's of interest....the next 3 stages this week will take place in the Alps and are sure to provide much opportunity for excitement! Aside from the gorgeous scenery....the race has become more interesting as defending champion Chris Froome has shown some small signs of - I don't want to say weakness here because that's not what it is - so let's just say while it seems along with the strength of his team (Sky) and his ITT talents....it's probably still his race to lose - but there are a few other riders who are right on his tail too!

This is the third and last week of the event. And a fantastic opportunity for the riders who are very good as climbers,,,,and also at those hairy descents!

I have work to do in the mornings but will tune in during later airings and likely will post here again, as appropriate.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Fantastic stage today....it's on right now in case anyone wants to watch again.

I love these mountain stages!

Lots of pain and suffering! :biggrin2:

Good to see the former ski jumper win....his descent skills were extremely impressive!

I have some work to do in the morning but will "race" back home to watch as much of the remainder of tomorrow's stage as possible....it's going to be epic!

BTW.....AC continues to have issues but he keeps on going. Much respect to the Spaniard in this year's tour!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Individual Time Trial on today - then tomorrow will be the last stage of the event.

Froome has all but won at this point but who joins him on the podium is still up for grabs, more or less.

Worth watching today's stage!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Watching today's stage again.

Love Phil's comment when AC went out (amid robust applause): "Well he's a Spaniard....but has been adopted by the French today..."

So true....so true.....the Europeans love their cycling!

This has been the best tour in 10 years, I would say...despite so many great cyclists going out before the end.

And I feel that CF has proven that he deserves to be champion once again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.