Link: Ranking CNS BAMA teams ...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that your best 2 teams were your last 2 teams. Rank them in any order, but they belong on top. In my opinion, the 2016 team would have beat the 2015 team on the field.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Unpopular opinion: 2012 is the best team we have had under Saban. I know popular choices are 2011 and 2009 but give me 2012.

I think 2016 would be at the top if they had won the championship. But because all of these teams have been so good I think you have to give an edge to title winners unless it is absolutely clear that a non championship team was better. Because of that 2011 and 2015 would push for the 2 spot but I'll take 2011 because that defense was insane.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think that your best 2 teams were your last 2 teams. Rank them in any order, but they belong on top. In my opinion, the 2016 team would have beat the 2015 team on the field.
I think 2012 is the best team we've had under Nick Saban. Maybe the best team we've had since the late 1970s

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I agree with you and RT_HTTR ... I'm thinking last years would have been hands down number one if they would have won the NC. I think folks will eventually put 2015 number one over 2011. The great thing about all of this the story is still being written so who knows what great things this team will accomplish this year that may surpass the previous years. No one figured that a team defensively would be better than 2011 and we already had two teams to rival them in a span of 5 years. Just impressive times

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Injuries affect every year, granted. But the HEALTHY 2016 team wins the championship and tops this list. What could have been!

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I like how an article supposedly praising/ranking CNS Bama teams has multiple videos/pictures of Clumpson winning this past NC :rolleyes:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think 2012 is the best team we've had under Nick Saban. Maybe the best team we've had since the late 1970s
I think that the 2016 team would have won because the 2012 team would not have been able to score.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Still curious to see how the 2011 defense would handle up tempo TAMU, OM, Auburn, Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO, the past 2 years were Coach Saban's best defenses. They were the fastest, and built to combat the HUNH offenses. And yet, we still saw how teams like OM and Clemson, with great QB play, gave these two defenses so much trouble (aided, in no small part, by our own offensive ineptitude at times, but I digress). So I say that 2011 defense, stellar as it was, would have likely struggled greatly against the exact same Clemson teams we saw the past two seasons. JMO.

edited to add: just look at how they struggled against a triple option team (extreme departure from the norm, like the HUNH is), Georgia Southern, with half the talent we have, if that. I know we had a couple of starters out for that game, but still. (We had starters out for the Clemson NC game, too).

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
IMO, the past 2 years were Coach Saban's best defenses. They were the fastest, and built to combat the HUNH offenses. And yet, we still saw how teams like OM and Clemson, with great QB play, gave these two defenses so much trouble (aided, in no small part, by our own offensive ineptitude at times, but I digress). So I say that 2011 defense, stellar as it was, would have likely struggled greatly against the exact same Clemson teams we saw the past two seasons. JMO.

edited to add: just look at how they struggled against a triple option team (extreme departure from the norm, like the HUNH is), Georgia Southern, with half the talent we have, if that. I know we had a couple of starters out for that game, but still. (We had starters out for the Clemson NC game, too).
I don't like playing this game. 2011 was almost a different era of football so they may have played a completely different style of D or played some players more others less if they had to go against teams today. The Georgia Southern game was partially because there weren't very many teams like that and now almost every team runs some hurry up. It's way too hard to say how 2011 D would do in today's game. Frankly even if we could it would be useless because they weren't playing in today's game they were built for 2011 not 2016.

I think that the 2016 team would have won because the 2012 team would not have been able to score.
This gets into how you rate who is the best. But, that pass rush/DL would have been fun to watch going up against that OL. But Amari Cooper by the end of the year was a terror and Lacy was wrecking things. It would be a really good match up and fun game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't like playing this game. 2011 was almost a different era of football so they may have played a completely different style of D or played some players more others less if they had to go against teams today. The Georgia Southern game was partially because there weren't very many teams like that and now almost every team runs some hurry up. It's way too hard to say how 2011 D would do in today's game. Frankly even if we could it would be useless because they weren't playing in today's game they were built for 2011 not 2016.
It was a different era of football. Just six years ago but yes, the game is vastly different.

I know it's really not fair to compare eras, but that's what this article is doing and I'm only playing along in that exercise.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It was a different era of football. Just six years ago but yes, the game is vastly different.

I know it's really not fair to compare eras, but that's what this article is doing and I'm only playing along in that exercise.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as attacking at all if I did. I have just thought about it a lot so I ramble. What I meant was that I like trying to compare teams in context of their time. So, I wouldn't compare the 85 bears vs the whatever year Seahawks by basing how much success the 85 Bears would have vs teams in the modern NFL. That's why I think 2011 D is still 1 or 2 with 2016 being the other in the top 2. Allowing only 8.2 pts per game is insane.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we all can agree that the team that beat ND in Ft. Lauderdale for the NC was about as well suited to stop a traditional offense as any we've ever seen. And that offense was a thing of beauty in how that OL could run and pass block and AJ was about as comfortable in that backfield as Tom Brady playing tag football with his wife.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
This is overstating it. The offensive line that year was excellent (best of the Saban era), and AJ had come into his own as a field general by the end of that year. Cooper was a force over the top. Lacy was a beast. I think you are underestimating that unit.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not to sound like I'm playing the "if Colt hadn't got hurt game" but....

I think the 2016 team with a healthy Eddie, Hamilton, and Bo is the best overall team.

2012 is the best O-line easily.

2009 probably had the most heart to compensate for where talent was not yet there across the board.

If not for a bad quarter against Ole Miss and one play at the end by Clemson, the last 2 teams might be considered the best in the history of the game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The 2015 or 2016 teams have likely been the best under CNS - they had the capably to play 'big' or 'quick' depending on the circumstances. Head to head, the 2016 Bama offense would give many of the pre 2015 teams fits, especially the 2011. We'd all hate JH if the 2011 team had to keep track of him in a game...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.