2017 SEC Media Days Thread (July 10 - July 13)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Nothing real over the top so far today.

Derrius Guice did backup what he said after last year's game - Alabama was scared of LSU because every time they got ready to run the ball Alabama loaded the box. Therefore, Alabama was scared of LSU's running game.

LSU running back Derrius Guice repeats Alabama “scared” comments

Guice doesn't know the difference between "scared" and great strategy?

Maybe he really meant that Bama's Defense is "scary"... :cool2:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Isn't it kinda interesting that almost every coach who is on the hot seat comes after Nick Saban takes the podium? A lot of the national people will be checked out or picking on the bones of whatever controversy is created during Saban's run through the media day circuit.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Thank you Mr. Guice for added motivation when we meet in Nov. this year - as if we really need it - but he just gave our defensive unit extra motivation to make sure there aren't places for him to run!

You can be sure they'll be reminded of this the week prior to our annual meeting with LSU!

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Thank you Mr. Guice for added motivation when we meet in Nov. this year - as if we really need it - but he just gave our defensive unit extra motivation to make sure there aren't places for him to run!

You can be sure they'll be reminded of this the week prior to our annual meeting with LSU!
Guice doesn't seem to the best pick to represent his team. Typically holding a team to their lowest rushing output of the year doesn't equate being afraid. As others have said, he might understand that he is unknowingly implying their passing game is terrible. Oh well. I wonder what he'll say after he gets stuffed in BDS this year?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yes, I suppose by the logic of this college educated man that we would play a dime or prevent defense against their powerful running game if we were real men. The only thing real about that would be real stupid. Some of these guys remove all doubt about their intelligence when they speak. However, the dude can certainly play football and will more than likely make more money than I ever make, so I'm sure he will feel justified in his beliefs and actions.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Guice doesn't seem to the best pick to represent his team. Typically holding a team to their lowest rushing output of the year doesn't equate being afraid. As others have said, he might understand that he is unknowingly implying their passing game is terrible. Oh well. I wonder what he'll say after he gets stuffed in BDS this year?
probably that Alabama is still afraid to let him score.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Nick Saban opener: "I'm kind of proud of the fact that this is my 16th SEC Media Days. I bet nobody in this room thought that would happen."
Saban: "We're excited from a football standpoint because of the challenging our season presents, starting with our opening game."
Saban: We're pleased with the team's progression so far this summer.
Saban: I think this is going to be one of the youngest teams we've had since 2012, especially on defense.
Saban: Jalen (Hurts) has done a good job of becoming a better passer.
Saban: "I think that's why we've been so successful — the culture of accountability that we create for our players."
Saban: Brian Daboll has done really well. The players have really responded to him.
Saban: Mike Locksley has also been a big benefit to (our offense).
Saban: "Last year's defense was probably one of the best we've ever had."
Saban said there will be position battles at long snapper and place kicker.
Saban on losing CFPNC: Whether you win or lose, you're always trying to self-assess. You don't want to waste a failure.
Saban: Bo Scarbrough has done all of the work all summer long with no restrictions.
Saban: Najee Harris is a young player that has a lot of ability. We're trying to help him so he can make a contribution.
Saban on Shaun Dion Hamilton: "He's done everything all summer long. Seems to be getting along really, really well."
Saban: We've always had a get-back coach. We probably need more than one, actually.
Saban on coaches going out to the hashmarks/new rule: "Those coaches should have been penalized."
Saban asked if the SEC is becoming a one-team league: "I'm trying to think of a team in our league that I don't have a lot of respect for."
Saban on right guard: I felt like coming out of spring we had four players who demonstrated they could play winning football on o-line.
Saban: Inside linebacker might be the position we have the most depth at.
Saban: Mack Wilson is so athletic that we might be able to develop him as a rusher.
Saban asked what it takes to stay at a program for a long time like he has. His response: "Win."
Saban: "Florida State is built like an SEC team, like our teams."

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Coach Saban is a class act.

In his closing remarks he made sure to thank the media and recognize them for their contributions to the sport.

College football wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable without this man.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
SEC media days sorely needs Spurrier back. Guice aside, no controversy and everyone entirely too complimentary of one another.

Come on, SEC! Pump up the volume!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.