afghanistan all girl robotics team won't be allowed to come to the u.s.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
link to wapo story

It's not easy to get robotics equipment through customs in Afghanistan, but that didn't deter this plucky bunch.

For months, a team of six teenage girls has been scrambling to build a ball-sorting robot that will compete in an international competition. Other teams received their raw materials in March. But the box sent from America had been held up for months amid concerns about terrorism. So the young engineers improvised, building motorized machines from household materials.

The Afghan girls are not alone. On Tuesday, the leader of a robotics team from the West African nation of Gambia announced that they too had been denied visas to enter the United States. Mucktarr M.Y. Darboe, a Higher Education ministry director, told the Associated Press that no reason was given for the visa denials in April. Gambia is a largely Muslim nation. AP could not immediately reach anyone at the U.S. Embassy in Banjul for comment.
remember, we are a shining city on a hill

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
link to wapo story

remember, we are a shining city on a hill
My adblocker won't let me view the WaPo site. I refuse to remove adblocker for the WaPo (the "quaint alternative newspaper from DC").
So, is that the story? The US Customs Service will not let improvised home-modified electronics into the US from Afghanistan (where an American soldier was killed today, by the way)? In the current international situation, I can live with that. I hear Germany is open for such cases.
If the US Customs Service did announce that improvised home-modified electronics from Afghanistan would be allowed into the US, might ISIS or Al Qaeda take advantage of that information?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My adblocker won't let me view the WaPo site. I refuse to remove adblocker for the WaPo (the "quaint alternative newspaper from DC").
So, is that the story? The US Customs Service will not let improvised home-modified electronics into the US from Afghanistan (where an American soldier was killed today, by the way)? In the current international situation, I can live with that. I hear Germany is open for such cases.
If the US Customs Service did announce that improvised home-modified electronics from Afghanistan would be allowed into the US, might ISIS or Al Qaeda take advantage of that information?
i'm sure google would bring up some other versions of the story.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
i'm sure google would bring up some other versions of the story.
I read the novel when I lived in Israel.
Palestinians send pregnant woman to border check point with Israel. Israeli soldiers deny them entry. International outrage ensues. Israelis relent and announced that pregnant Palestinian women who need medical attention in Israel will be let in. Palestinians then send "pregnant" woman (actually wearing a suicide bomb) to the checkpoint, knowing the Israelis will let her in. Boom.

I'm okay with not letting these Afghan women's improvised electronics into the country. On the other hand, maybe you could volunteer to check out their electronics in Kabul before its shipped. Kabul is lovely this time of year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I read the novel when I lived in Israel.
Palestinians send pregnant woman to border check point with Israel. Israeli soldiers deny them entry. International outrage ensues. Israelis relent and announced that pregnant Palestinian women who need medical attention in Israel will be let in. Palestinians then send "pregnant" woman (actually wearing a suicide bomb) to the checkpoint, knowing the Israelis will let her in. Boom.

I'm okay with not letting these Afghan women's improvised electronics into the country. On the other hand, maybe you could volunteer to check out their electronics in Kabul before its shipped. Kabul is lovely this time of year.
i think we are a better country than this.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i saw this morning that the afghan and gambian teams will be given visas and allowed to participate.

i think we are quickly moving into orange territory. better stock up on duct tape and plastic

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
As long as they are checked very, very, very, thoroughly. The Afghans can make explosives out of things you would never think of.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.