Hobby Lobby fined $3 Million dollars for lying and smuggling

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A couple of things here. First off, be careful about judging others. Just like these people, be sure your sins will find you out. Also, not everyone at Hobby Lobby is involved in this. The ones who are need to be punished for their wrongdoing. Christians are people, too. Like other people we are tempted to do wrong and sometimes we fall.
Those of you who are not Christians often enjoy tearing Christians down because you have this idea in your head that we are supposed to be perfect. Of course, there are those who call themselves Christians who are in the public eye and don't help matters by some of the things they do and get caught doing.
Again, be careful about judging others (whether they be Christians or not). He who is without sin let him/her cast the first stone.

Well, I'm an evangelical and as far as the OP is concerned, I'm with Jon in terms of the notion that it's quite incredible that a company that can say they cannot provide (let's be clear) certain forms of birth control BECAUSE of their religious view on that can.......lie so freely.

I get the temptation part. I even get the divine standard where if I've thought of harming someone it's the same as if I actually murdered them (from Matthew 5).

But when someone invites self-imposed righteous standards on themselves, they don't get to suddenly - in essence - adopt the Flip Wilson excuse, either. It would be bad enough if Hobby Lobby was merely a Christian business NOT involved in a dispute over health care law - it's worse that they're arbitrary in which sins it's somehow okay for them to commit, which is at least one of Jon's points.

Look at it from the atheist perspective.....in essence, one is arguing that because of some Higher Power they are relieved of providing something and then when they get caught being unethical, it was because of some outer temptation. So the imposed standard is "not my doing" and the unethical act is "not totally my fault because I was tempted" and yet these are the same folks who preach the loudest about "personal responsibility."

I totally get that part of it.

I get the Christian perspective of "hey, we're all tempted" as well. But would this be what some same folks would say if Hillary or Barack had done this? I think we know the answer to that.

The only thing I try to hope for is consistency.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If they broke the law, hang them by the short hairs.

There, I do not examine the criminal code in terms of "how is this going to help my party and harm the other party?"

Hang'em high.

See how cool that is?

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Not very Christ-like behavior.
But it is an all to common "Human" behavior regardless of how progressive or deplorable ones personal views may be.

And I like the Hobby Lobby. Gonna put my head in the sand and pretend the cute cashier had nothing to do with this.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Altogether different considerations.

In the world according to 4QBC, any business can offer (or not) any benefits they wish. If women who want their birth control paid for choose not to work there, that's their option. If they can get it paid for elsewhere, and choose to take their talents there, more power to them.

But if HL chooses to do without their services of these women because HL chooses not to pay for birth control, well, that should likewise be HL's option.

Aside from the snickering about the hypocroisy, that's totally unrelated to smuggling for profit. For which HL or any business or person so engaged should pay the price prescribed by law, regardless of the benefits they choose, or choose not, to provide to their employees.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Aside from the snickering about the hypocroisy, that's totally unrelated to smuggling for profit. For which HL or any business or person so engaged should pay the price prescribed by law, regardless of the benefits they choose, or choose not, to provide to their employees.
Unless HL supports some political party I also support, in which case they should skate. I mean, they're in my tribe, right?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
But it is an all to common "Human" behavior regardless of how progressive or deplorable ones personal views may be.

And I like the Hobby Lobby. Gonna put my head in the sand and pretend the cute cashier had nothing to do with this.
Selma crushed it with his response so I don't have too much to add

though I'd be careful with the cute cashier, she is likely not on the pill

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK, some misconceptions here.................

I know someone who is very tightly connected to the folks who run HL. While I have no dog, in this fight, this topic has come up for discussion, more than once.

They do pay for birth control pills. They do not pay for the so-called "morning after pill".

If you can not comprehend the difference between a contraceptive and something that takes affect post-conception, then I can not help you.

But, please feel free to spread more misrepresentations, because you don't like their religious posturing.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I know someone who is very tightly connected to the folks who run HL. While I have no dog, in this fight, this topic has come up for discussion, more than once.

They do pay for birth control pills. They do not pay for the so-called "morning after pill".

If you can not comprehend the difference between a contraceptive and something that takes affect post-conception, then I can not help you.

But, please feel free to spread more misrepresentations, because you don't like their religious posturing.
so they're just thieves who buy stolen property and fund terrorists, got it

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I guess. But, I really don't care. Never been in one of their stores. See no need to, either.

(If it makes you feel better, you can add Chick-fil-A to that list. And it has nothing to due with their religious posturing. But, if it makes you feel better, you can add that to the reasons why.)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
And speaking of Chick-fil-A, here is some putz that says you should never eat there.

Yes, mainly because of..................well, you should be able to guess.

(The rest of you will probably want to avoid reading it. Especially if you like eating there. I have no idea if the part about the food is accurate. Probably isn't, since the guy has an ax to grind.)

https://www.eater.com/2017/6/9/15763282/chick-fil-a-what-to-order-menu

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You're absolutely correct on the birth control thing. A lot of folks attack them on THAT and don't even know what their position is. Agreed.

However - this other thing is just flat out WRONG!!!!

I'm personally sick by it because my thesis adviser is good friends with the highest folks at Hobby Lobby because they're really "into" showing ancient Bible manuscripts with one of those traveling road shows. I cannot for one second think my adviser, who functions fully ethical, gives this a pass. (I haven't spoke to him - he's been busy getting blasted on Facebook for joining a Presbyterian church that he calls "home" even though he doesn't believe in infant baptism).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.