Question for economic world history buffs

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Was the Dutch East India Company the richest most powerful IPO in the history of the world?

Any quality book that a laymen could read and understand on this company's world wide influence?

Is this the same company that traded in opium and slaves or anything that made money? Paid 18% annual dividend to its shareholders for almost 200 years? That's a good ROI.

Not many people visit "The Book Ends" but move this if it's in the wrong place.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not familiar with a laymen's book on the DEIC, but a European colleague recently told me that the invention of copper wire was the result of a tug-of-war between two Dutchman over a penny. (The Dutch have a reputation for being shall we say, "frugal.")

On the other hand, another colleague responded that he can't stand two groups of people: "people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Wasn't there a British East India Company too?
Yes. I think they were competitors.

Could you imagine if the US or UN sent war ships to a country that refused to allow illegal drug trade?

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I think I've said it before, but while my dad was an avid reader of history, I have always leaned to fiction. The few history books I've read were quite entertaining and I've made a conscious decision to read more of them.

I need to visit my sisters house where some my dads books reside.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
On the other hand, another colleague responded that he can't stand two groups of people: "people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."
Hmm. Now we know who you are, Austin Danger Powers.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I think I've said it before, but while my dad was an avid reader of history, I have always leaned to fiction. The few history books I've read were quite entertaining and I've made a conscious decision to read more of them.

I need to visit my sisters house where some my dads books reside.
You might find the Jeff Shaara books interesting (and books of a similar vein). They are written in a fiction format but are essentially history.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Clark: [taken aback] Well, as a matter of fact, I won't, because Wood drastically underestimates the impact of —Will: ..."Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth..." You got that from Vickers. "Work in Essex County," Page 98, right? Yeah I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us — you have any thoughts of — of your own on this matter?
(One of my favorite scenes from Good Will Hunting.)

Maybe I'll read some history, but it'll be world history as I wouldn't find most of those books entertaining at all.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.