The Death of the New York Diner

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I found this column and thought I'd share it. In its simplest form, the column is a good account of how dining tastes have changed over time, but it is also a reflection on the loss of community that continues to grow.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/06/watching-and-lamenting-the-death-of-the-new-york-diner.html

Like most mass-extinction events, the Massive Diner, Coffee Shop, and Greasy Spoon Die-Off has been unfolding slowly around us for decades, in plain sight. According to a much-fretted-over Crain’s report from a couple of years back, the city’s Department of Health lists around 400 restaurants with the words diner and coffee in their name, a number that experts say is down from a thousand restaurants a generation ago. (Many nouveau coffee shops don’t have coffee in the name.) Like the old Automats and cafeterias of the ’50s and ’60s, and a generation of classic Jewish delis before that, diners are in decline for many reasons: skyrocketing rents and land values; ever-rising food prices; the spread of a more expedient, highbrow and lowbrow coffee culture; the gentle, inexorable aging of a whole generation of neighborhood “regulars”; the difficulty of keeping an ancient, sprawling, ten-page menu in tune with the changing tastes of the times; and the challenges of passing on a family business to a new generation of proprietors, many of whom have the benefit of a college education, and might prefer frittering their days away in barista bars to breaking eggs over a hot stove.
Ironically, in elevated restaurant circles, among the taste-making cooks who cater to the arugula generation, the rituals of the diner have never been more popular. “I love the lingo, I love the food, I love the waitress calling you ‘Hon’ when you come in the door,” says Wylie Dufresne, who made his reputation as a pioneer of what used to be called molecular gastronomy, and is now applying that approach to the elaborately flavored doughnuts at his recently opened Williamsburg coffee counter. He thinks short-order cooking and barbecue are America’s greatest contributions to the international culinary canon, and he can recite the names of the great silver-clad structures — Haven Brothers and the Ever Ready Diner in Providence — that used to dot the highways of his early youth, the way nautical buffs can tick off the names of grand, disappeared ocean liners of the early-20th century.

“It makes me terrified when I see these places closing, because when they go, they’re not coming back,” the chef is saying as we sit at the counter of Joe Jr. Restaurant on Third Avenue in Gramercy Park on a recent Tuesday morning, waiting for our breakfast. This Joe’s (according to legend, the two Joes had the same owner until the mid-’70s) has become famous, in recent years, for the quality of its $6 cheeseburger, but Dufresne has been a regular since he was a student at Friends Seminary High School down the street. He dines here at least once a month with his family, and he likes to bring superstar-chef friends from out of town, like Noma’s René Redzepi, to sample his favorite meal — a cheese omelet with sausage, hash browns, and fresh-squeezed orange juice — and watch the timeless ballet of the line cooks as they break eggs over the griddle and flip the shells into the garbage can behind their backs.
Dufresne reminisces about his favorite diner dishes over the years: the late-night soups at Veselka, eggs and sausages at the Stage Restaurant down on Second Avenue. It’s a nostalgia not just for a certain kind of food but for a slightly less fussy New York City, when Manhattan was a little more of a working-class borough and the town really did run 24 hours a day.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks for the link 86, sad but good article. The restaurant business in general is a "here today, gone tomorrow" scenario and only for someone who loves the business and is willing to put in the long hours, and then that may not be enough. It has already happened in much of small town America where the chain restaurants have long since put the mom and pops out of business. Times change all things and as said, it will never comeback to the way it was.

Last edited:

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Meat & three southern food restaurants too. I'm pretty sure that our new national food is Mexican.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.