Are you picking Florida or Michigan? aTm or UCLA?

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I just wish I knew Florida's talent at QB this year to make a prediction. If they get much from him I will pick Florida. Texas AM over UCLA , and maybe Tenn over Georgia Tech.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I just wish I knew Florida's talent at QB this year to make a prediction. If they get much from him I will pick Florida. Texas AM over UCLA , and maybe Tenn over Georgia Tech.
Phil Steele power poll:
Florida #8, Michigan #18
Texas A&M #27, UCLA #30
Va Tech #25, W Virginia #49
Tennessee #28, Ga Tech #41.

My Stat system has
Florida #11.1, Michigan #14.5
UCLA #17.8, Texas A&M #18.5
Va Tech #23.5, W Virginia #28.5
Tennessee #26, Ga Tech #44

I have eight different sets of stats this year and I am keeping up with wins a losses on all eight. Whew, 65 games x 8 is a whole lot of data entry and also confusing at times, trying to remember which of the eight I am working on :) Anyway, the second set has

Michigan #21.2, Florida #27.6
Texas A&M #17.5, UCLA #21.0
Va Tech #28.6, W Virginia #48.6
Tennessee #28.6, Ga Tech #50.1

VT and Tenn are tied in the second set. I am afraid I will find in the end that all eight are about the same, with wins and losses about equal -- just on different games. But it is fun trying to beat Phil Steele, because he uses returning starters, new coaches and the like. I only use the raw data, no opinions.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Gut feeling is that QB will not be an issue this year. The talent is there with Del Rio, Franks, and Zaire. UF returns 9 starters on offense and, believe it or not, Phil Steele ranks UF's Receivers at#4 just ahead of Bama's at #5 in his Unit Rankings. Michigan returns ONE starter on defense to face all of that. Going to be a long day for Harbaugh.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
UCLA over Texas A&M - Beginning of the end for Sumlin.

Florida over Michigan - Michigan lost a ton of talent, I think Florida wins a close one.

Virginia Tech over West Virginia - VT is a darkhorse this year in my opinion.

Georgia Tech over Tennessee - This is hard because UT should be well-prepped for the triple option but I just have my doubts that they will be any good in 2017.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Gut feeling is that QB will not be an issue this year. The talent is there with Del Rio, Franks, and Zaire. UF returns 9 starters on offense and, believe it or not, Phil Steele ranks UF's Receivers at#4 just ahead of Bama's at #5 in his Unit Rankings. Michigan returns ONE starter on defense to face all of that. Going to be a long day for Harbaugh.
I hope Coach Mc can run it up on them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Harbaugh absolutely destroyed Mac with his 1st team in 2015. That's before Harbaugh really started recruiting. Mac had mushchamp's defense but got boatraced by a Brady Hoke offense.
That Florida team was never the same after Will Greier went down, though. And didn't they have a few more injuries before that game?

Looking at Phil Steele's experience chart, Florida returns 75% of the 2016 team's yards and 57% of the 2016 team's total tackles. Meanwhile, Michigan returns 62.1% of its 2016 yards and 36.5% of its 2016 tackles. Florida also returns more OL starts with 63 while Michigan returns 54.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Texas A&M always gets off to a hot start and UCLA/Mora are always overrated. I'll take A&M.

I can't get the image of Michigan destroying Florida in the citrus bowl out of my head from two years ago. Even with the turnover I don't think Florida can score on Mich.

I like Va Tech and what they've done under Fuentes.

I like Tennessee -- I think the triple option is way tougher when you don't have as much time to prepare. They have the whole offseason.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is a big year for Coach Mac. Not a make or break year but one of those years where he can basically assure his job security for another recruiting cycle with a great season.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
I'll bite. UCLA, Florida, VaTech, Tennessee. I think the UF v UM game is a toss up but will give the nod to the SEC team. Michigan has lost so much but it seems to me that player development is a little better at UM right now perhaps filling some of the experience gap. We'll see.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
My take is A&M, Florida, Va Tech, and unfortunately I believe the Viles will have plenty of time to prepare for the wishbone. If the game was mid-season I'd take Tech.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I'm going UCLA and Michigan though my UCLA pick is a coin flip. I think Michigan beats Florida. Rashan Gary will cause turmoil against the Florida offense. Just a matter of will they score enough points. I think so. Not sure how the Gator offense will look this season but both teams like to somewhat play the same game. I think Michigan is better at it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.