Is Jarrett Stidham THE MOST Hyped QB Entrant in auburn history?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The question of over-hype can only be answered next January, really.

As for J. T. Barrett, is he going into his 7th or 8th year at tOSU? (It seems like he has been in Columbus that long)
Hard to believe given his play that year, but JT was a redshirt freshman in 2014. That was his best year as a QB in every way. He has not been the same since Herman left.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Might want to take a look at Stidham's recruiting rankings before claiming he "was just some dude at Baylor."

He was a true freshman backing up a redshirt junior. Pretty unlikely to win the starting job in that case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, and one of those who really wanted Stidham was Coach Saban.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Let the hype machine on Stidham grow. Let the pressure to perform grow. First time something isn't up to the fans expectations they'll turn on him like they have on Malzahn. Then let's see if he can perform with all the Debbie Downers badmouthing him at every turn.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Might want to take a look at Stidham's recruiting rankings before claiming he "was just some dude at Baylor."
Yeah, probably went overboard in highlighting that Cam Newton was one of THE prospects of his class and Stidham was a guy people thought could be really good.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Let the hype machine on Stidham grow. Let the pressure to perform grow. First time something isn't up to the fans expectations they'll turn on him like they have on Malzahn.
In some ways this reminds me of Kenny Hill. He was spectacular in his first four games, an immediate Heisman candidate. His worst rating was a 161 performance against Southern Carolina, but he threw for 511 yards and 3 TDs. He then lit up inferior competition, throwing for another 1000+ yards and 10 TDs while averaging nearly a 200 rating.

Stidham faced better teams, I suppose, but he got most his playing time against Big 12 defenses. It wasn't until Kenny Hill got into the heart of an SEC schedule that he looked mortal, and then he rapidly fell from grace. We know Stidham can look solid against Big 12 defenses, but that isn't the question is it?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We're just going to have to see.

Stidham was pretty impressive against B12 defenses two years ago in a system that doesn't work as well as it used to. The B12 isn't the SEC, but you'd have to think he's progressed since then.

That, and the fact that the boogs have won the QB transfer lottery twice -- Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.

My guess is that he'll remind us all of Chad Kelly -- also a transfer -- piles up numbers against most competition.

Is a threat against elite defenses, but ego dictates a fatal mistake or two.

There's also a question about durability. Malzahn's offense depends on a QB who is also a durable runner between the tackles. Cam and Marshall were that. Stidham isn't.

So I'd also predict declining productivity as the season wears on.

But like I said....we'll see.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Durability and their defense are the main concerns. I see 3 losses off the top even in a best case scenario. LSU, UGA, and Bama will have bunches of points and good defenses. Then you get to teams like Clemson and MSU that have either good qbs or good defenses that could win against them if his numbers are down. Heck Mizzou isn't a give me either with the experience coming back.

I say 10-2 best
9-3 or 8-4 likely
And 6-6 worst.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I heard someone - Chuck Oliver, maybe - suggest that Stidham is best all around qb in the SEC right now.

I can't really disagree with that, and I'm expecting the Iron Bowl to be a real slugfest.
i also think he will see at least 8 defenses better than anything he saw last year

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Durability and their defense are the main concerns. I see 3 losses off the top even in a best case scenario. LSU, UGA, and Bama will have bunches of points and good defenses. Then you get to teams like Clemson and MSU that have either good qbs or good defenses that could win against them if his numbers are down. Heck Mizzou isn't a give me either with the experience coming back.

I say 10-2 best
9-3 or 8-4 likely
And 6-6 worst.
When the Barn is given the preseason hype they'll finish 8-4/9-3 almost everytime and sometimes a little worse.

It would be better for them if nobody had heard of Stidham and everyone thought they'd stink it up.

Not to be missed in all this but Gus is coaching for his life at Auburn at this point. If he loses to Georgia and Bama again but they win 9 or 10 games it'll be interesting to see how the natives feel.

I figure Gus will ride Stidham like a rented mule if he's half what he's cracked up to be.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
We should get a early glimpse how he does against elite defenses in their 2nd game at Clemson.
If Gus runs him a lot he will get killed in the SEC. He is getting hyped a lot!

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
This kind of "Hype" also gets DC's attention, (as you all know) to where they will try and find his weaknesses off of film study, they will try to exploit them, and other DC's will follow suit. So, it's not going to be a cake walk for Stidham that's for sure.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This kind of "Hype" also gets DC's attention to where they will try and find his weaknesses off of film study in highschool. And, as a true Freshman coming in they will try to exploit them and other DC's will follow suit. So, it's not going to be a cake walk for Stidham that's for sure.
Stidham isn't a true freshman. The hype is more around what he did under Fart Biles. He did great against Big XII defenses before getting injured. 1200+ yards, 68% passer, and 12-2 Td-int.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
He's gonna get the Heisman that the REC cheated Jeremy Johnson out of. Or so I've heard.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Stidham isn't a true freshman. The hype is more around what he did under Fart Biles. He did great against Big XII defenses before getting injured. 1200+ yards, 68% passer, and 12-2 Td-int.
Who wouldn't do great against Big 12 defenses? Seriously, they don't play defense in the Big 12... :cool2:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Well, Alabama fans were really overboard on the Tua hype for a little while. The ironic thing though is Alabama has the reigning SEC Offensive Player of the year at quarterback, and for a while you'd think he was a distant third to Tua and Stidham. I saw that Stidham has the best odds of winning a Heisman out of the SEC...
What? "Stidham is now at 12-1 odds, tied with Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett"

Ok, let's go back to J.T. for a second. Last year, even though he was a veteran quarterback, he did not put up better numbers than Hurts (with an easier schedule). On top of that, he looked worse against Clemson. I'm not sure if we are witnessing criminal under-appreciation of Hurts or just stupid over-hype, but who really thinks JT has more room to improve than Hurts? Who really thinks Auburn is going to put together the type of season needed for a Heisman campaign? This is just silly...
At least it's the Alabama fans and not coaches contrary to what happens at auburn. When you introduce the guy at a basketball game that pretty much leads everyone to think he's going to be the savior. Can't wait for the bold statements by good ole' gus like "Will Muschamp is the best defensive mind in the game" or carl lawson is "unblockable". lol

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
He ran for almost 1,000 yards in HS. I don't think we need to overlook him but he's never faced SEC speed defenses. I don't quite see Cam kinda year for Auburn but probably 9-10 wins with losses to 2 of 3(Clemson, UGA, UA).

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
3 games on the road in 4 weeks...@ Arkansas 10/14, @ LSU 10/21...OFF..and @ A&M on 11/4...do NOT think they win all three of those...:)
*** and that's after 3 straight SEC games too...

He ran for almost 1,000 yards in HS. I don't think we need to overlook him but he's never faced SEC speed defenses. I don't quite see Cam kinda year for Auburn but probably 9-10 wins with losses to 2 of 3(Clemson, UGA, UA).

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.