Is Jarrett Stidham THE MOST Hyped QB Entrant in auburn history?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Heard someone raise this point on a local sports talk show, and it made me think. Cam was not this hyped coming in, Jeremy Johnson had some game experience before he was dubbed a Heisman threat, and going back through the years I can think of no one that could overtake the Stidham hype machine. I DO NOT remember the Sullivan deal - perhaps more was expected of him than Stidham as an entrant, but if not, I think there is no one else.

UA I think is more the opposite - a lot of talk and expectation with guys like Jeff Rutledge, Vince Sutton, Billy Ray, Jeff Dunn, Brodie Croyle...

As the caller said, if so, is it good at all? Given the au propensity to fall flat under the weight of expectation?

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I have a friend who graduated from API and he believes JS is going to take them to the pinnacle. He believes they will go undefeated. Talk about someone in la la land. I just smiled when he told me that. I don't remember that much hype about Sullivan. I do remember that Musso tried to get him to come to Bama. IMO, Sullivan was the real deal and did a great job at the barn. He was also a gentleman.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Kiehl Frazier had plenty of hype for a true freshman, but I'm not positive it compares to what Stidham is getting.

Don't think they'll go undefeated, but I can see JS making them a 10 win team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Stidham has the hype championship ring, no doubt. It remains to be seen if he can deliver. The problem with this kind of hype is that it assumes no one else has a really good QB.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Stidham has the hype championship ring, no doubt. It remains to be seen if he can deliver. The problem with this kind of hype is that it assumes no one else has a really good QB.
Chuck Oliver, the blowhard in the evening, has long ago declared "Jarrett Stidham is the best Quarterback in The SEC" - like before last years bowl games

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I heard someone - Chuck Oliver, maybe - suggest that Stidham is best all around qb in the SEC right now.

I can't really disagree with that, and I'm expecting the Iron Bowl to be a real slugfest.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I remember Cam Newton was incredibly hyped by the AU fan base when he arrived. For some reason no one else was but I remember the Aubbies were drooling over him. The coaches didn't even play him in their A Day game to keep him hidden from the other teams (which was smart) and that made the Aub fans even more excited. Obviously they were very right.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I dont think it matches the Jeremy Johnson hype. From fans to the media and even Arbrun coaches. IIRC they were ranked 6th the 1st week of the season. I even remember one fan saying he was a better thrower than cam was in college

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Kodi burns and Barrett Trotter were pretty hyped, but nothing compares to Jeremy Johnson. There were plenty on this board in doom and gloom mode entering the 2015 season with him and Mush being at auburn.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The barn fans I know have anointed him as the savior. Matter of fact, the SEC West, at the very least, is pretty much a done deal. No real need for anyone else to even show up.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Stidham is more hyped than Cam Newton was in the lead up to the 2010 season and in my opinion Stidham has NOWHERE near the talent of Cam. Cam Newton came to college as the heir-apparent, seamless transition from Tim Tebow for the Gators but he screwed it up and got expelled from Florida. Stidham was just a dude at Baylor who ended up playing a few games because of injuries. The only question about Cam Newton out of JUCO was regarding his mental maturity. He came out of HS as one of the top 5 QBs in his class, he was a clear star in the making at Florida before being expelled, and he dominated in JUCO. Stidham seems like a potentially great QB for them but the hype is ridiculous. Some of it is due to QB being such a weak point for them in 2015 and 2016. This guy is getting hyped as a savior because QB deficiencies have cost them very successful seasons lately.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
JJ was more hyped, but we haven't even had media days yet. Ultimately it'll be Stidham, imo. Good luck to him. He fumbles or throws a couple of picks and they'll turn on him in less than a commercial break.

My Barner relatives are all true believers and they think the recipe for a championship is a great quarterback and nothing else matters. They admit they are going to have to outscore a lot of teams, but think that won't be a problem, "just like when Cam was here".

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Johnson was not more hyped in his debut season - it was in his season to become the heir apparent. Also the au coaches from 2010 have told people they did not realize what they had in cam until a few games into the season

Stidham has yet to be on the field for a single play at au, and his playing resume includes 4 games where he was injured twice, teh second ending his season

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Considering the astronomical difference in the media exposure between 1968 and 2017, Pat Sullivan's hype and that of Terry Beasley easily is equal to or maybe surpasses Stidham's.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Since Scam it'll always be about the next great qb.

I mean it worked once for them...like that one time the pretty girl actually liked you in the 4th grade but then you could never get that lucky again.

That's the Barn after Scam Newton. They'll always think that will be the answer. See the last few "hyped qbs" as proof.

SNASS

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Since Scam it'll always be about the next great qb.

I mean it worked once for them...like that one time the pretty girl actually liked you in the 4th grade but then you could never get that lucky again.

That's the Barn after Scam Newton. They'll always think that will be the answer. See the last few "hyped qbs" as proof.

SNASS
Kind of like Georgia and Herschel Walker. Every running back is the next Herschel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Stidham is more hyped than Cam Newton was in the lead up to the 2010 season and in my opinion Stidham has NOWHERE near the talent of Cam. Cam Newton came to college as the heir-apparent, seamless transition from Tim Tebow for the Gators but he screwed it up and got expelled from Florida. Stidham was just a dude at Baylor who ended up playing a few games because of injuries. The only question about Cam Newton out of JUCO was regarding his mental maturity. He came out of HS as one of the top 5 QBs in his class, he was a clear star in the making at Florida before being expelled, and he dominated in JUCO. Stidham seems like a potentially great QB for them but the hype is ridiculous. Some of it is due to QB being such a weak point for them in 2015 and 2016. This guy is getting hyped as a savior because QB deficiencies have cost them very successful seasons lately.
If he's as good as they say he is then Baylor would have won a national championship with him there.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, Alabama fans were really overboard on the Tua hype for a little while. The ironic thing though is Alabama has the reigning SEC Offensive Player of the year at quarterback, and for a while you'd think he was a distant third to Tua and Stidham. I saw that Stidham has the best odds of winning a Heisman out of the SEC...
What? "Stidham is now at 12-1 odds, tied with Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett"

Ok, let's go back to J.T. for a second. Last year, even though he was a veteran quarterback, he did not put up better numbers than Hurts (with an easier schedule). On top of that, he looked worse against Clemson. I'm not sure if we are witnessing criminal under-appreciation of Hurts or just stupid over-hype, but who really thinks JT has more room to improve than Hurts? Who really thinks Auburn is going to put together the type of season needed for a Heisman campaign? This is just silly...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Might want to take a look at Stidham's recruiting rankings before claiming he "was just some dude at Baylor."

If he's as good as they say he is then Baylor would have won a national championship with him there.
He was a true freshman backing up a redshirt junior. Pretty unlikely to win the starting job in that case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The question of over-hype can only be answered next January, really.

As for J. T. Barrett, is he going into his 7th or 8th year at tOSU? (It seems like he has been in Columbus that long)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.