Question: How to plan for a game at College Station (Texas aTm)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know it's 4 months out, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row while prices are at their cheapest.

I've never been, but I got tickets through the school and I'm trying to knock off all the SEC stadiums while I'm young enough to travel. I wanted to know some general do's and don'ts and some people's experiences there.

1) where to stay. I'm looking at places in College Station and Bryan, but I'm wanting to know if those places are hard to get in and out the day before and the day after the game. If so are there better alternatives other than Dallas and Houston? I'm coming from Tuscaloosa.

2) Midnight yell- are non aTm fans allowed, and if so is it worth it? Also what are some traditions that are a can't miss for football fans there?

3) tailgating- where are the better tailgating spots because I'm looking for those as well.

4) anybody got some experiences that have been there? I tend to like to hear from Bama fans who have gone about what they like and don't like about their experiences at places I've never been.

5) fans- I know every fan bases have their good and bad fans. But generally are aTm fans more hospitable or hostile to the average Bama fan

6) stadium- how is Kyle field. I've heard mostly bad things from my LSU and Auburn friends but then again the ones I know compare everything to BR and Auburn and everything else to them is always a dump.

Thanks in advance

Fwiw how I rank my experiences away from T-town

1. LSU- fun college atmosphere. Sat with great LSU fans in their section. Was invited to tailgate. 2016 game 10-0

2. Mizzou- great fans. Rain and stadium hurt the rankings. 2012 game

3. Auburn- hard to get in and out. Was constantly told to look at the scoreboard. Was surrounded by a lot of bad apples. 2015 game

4. Ole Miss- was underwhelmed by the Grove and the stadium. A lot of jerks ( could be because they beat us twice in a row). 2016 game

Bonus

Wisconsin at their place for a few games was fun. When jump around plays the place shakes.

Nebraska at their place is horrible. Neat stadium but their fans are some of the most obnoxious. It really ruined the feel.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. I can't help you with some of your questions, but most of the A&M folks I know here in Dallas are good sports. They respect Bama and are generally knowlegable SEC fans.

Also, I don't think you want to come to Dallas to stay the night before a game in College Station. It's a pretty good drive. From the northern suburbs of Dallas it's a 3 hour drive and on a Saturday morning the traffic will be significant.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
the yell thing is worth it. Also, get their early enough to see their pre -game traditions with the cadets and their band marching in. Their were some drunk A&M fans that told me they were going to kick my butt just for cheering for Bama, but other Aggie fans got security to throw them out. My 11 year old son and I had a great time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
the yell thing is worth it. Also, get their early enough to see their pre -game traditions with the cadets and their band marching in. Their were some drunk A&M fans that told me they were going to kick my butt just for cheering for Bama, but other Aggie fans got security to throw them out. My 11 year old son and I had a great time.
Thanks. aTm seems to have some very unique traditions that I would like to see.

The only reason I bought up the fan topic is that I've found that some fans tend to behave drastically differently between being on the road and at home. Not that it's the number 1 worry or concern for me, it's just a good to know thing.

For example:

LSU- they behave very obnoxiously in T town in my experience. I've been to 3 at BDS and had crazy encounters in all three.

2009- the most tame story. A guy spread his arms out and kamikazed into our tailgate. Cops arrested him.

2013- a guy got mad and started a fight with a guy in the wheelchair in the bathroom

2015- pre game we were honoring a MOH recipient and a guy started chanting things, and the same guy punched a woman Bama fan.

But when I went down to BR they were more tame (considering LSU fans) and had more of a civil trash talk kinda thing. About 95% of them were great fans who just loved having a good time and were very hospitable.

Auburn- I've been to 3 at BDS and all but 1 (2014) they knew they were going to get beat and probably beat bad. They weren't bad at all.

When I went to Auburn (2016)...(sorry Dub). They were all in my face, and were really bad even for a 6-5 team facing a 10-1 team that was wrecking teams.

Like I said every fan base has their good and bad fans. Most of the bad fans I've encountered at BDS are actually Bama fans.

For my encounters of aTm fans at BDS I've found them to be super classy. The only bad experience I've ever had with one was watching the 2013 game in Afghanistan. I actually thought I was going to get in a fight with an army officer over a comment I made to my friend (who was a Michigan St fan) about how Bama likes to run a physical style offense based around the run instead of a big play offense based around a highly talented quarterback. That was the last time I watched a big game with opposing fans on TV. That is one of my biggest rules now ;).

But anyways I'm looking forward to my trip. I'm really just seeing what are the best ideas about traveling there and what is a must on the to do list while there. I've never been, and my experiences to the state of Texas have been mostly centered around staying in the bigger cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio so I really don't have a clue about College Station. Just looking forward to finally visiting and having a great time. I will be around Bama fans so I don't think the in game interactions will be as bad as my Ole Miss and Auburn experience. I kinda expect a level hostility on the road so it's not a huge deal to me, just wanted people's opinion on their game day crowd.

Last edited:

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
I know it's 4 months out, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row while prices are at their cheapest.

I've never been, but I got tickets through the school and I'm trying to knock off all the SEC stadiums while I'm young enough to travel. I wanted to know some general do's and don'ts and some people's experiences there.

1) where to stay. I'm looking at places in College Station and Bryan, but I'm wanting to know if those places are hard to get in and out the day before and the day after the game. If so are there better alternatives other than Dallas and Houston? I'm coming from Tuscaloosa.

2) Midnight yell- are non aTm fans allowed, and if so is it worth it? Also what are some traditions that are a can't miss for football fans there?

3) tailgating- where are the better tailgating spots because I'm looking for those as well.

4) anybody got some experiences that have been there? I tend to like to hear from Bama fans who have gone about what they like and don't like about their experiences at places I've never been.

5) fans- I know every fan bases have their good and bad fans. But generally are aTm fans more hospitable or hostile to the average Bama fan

6) stadium- how is Kyle field. I've heard mostly bad things from my LSU and Auburn friends but then again the ones I know compare everything to BR and Auburn and everything else to them is always a dump.

Thanks in advance

Fwiw how I rank my experiences away from T-town

1. LSU- fun college atmosphere. Sat with great LSU fans in their section. Was invited to tailgate. 2016 game 10-0

2. Mizzou- great fans. Rain and stadium hurt the rankings. 2012 game

3. Auburn- hard to get in and out. Was constantly told to look at the scoreboard. Was surrounded by a lot of bad apples. 2015 game

4. Ole Miss- was underwhelmed by the Grove and the stadium. A lot of jerks ( could be because they beat us twice in a row). 2016 game

Bonus

Wisconsin at their place for a few games was fun. When jump around plays the place shakes.

Nebraska at their place is horrible. Neat stadium but their fans are some of the most obnoxious. It really ruined the feel.

Went for the last JM game and going back this year. My best piece of advice: Fly into AUSTIN and drive from there. Much cooler town than Houston and much easier drive. Stop at Buck-ee's on the way... you've never seen a travel stop like it anywhere!

We went to Midnight yell and got some looks but it was a pretty fun pep rally. Definitely go.

Try Fuego Tortilla Grill for breakfast/lunch day of game and also Rudy's BBQ. Ignore the gas station out front and trust me.

I just booked an expensive room in town yesterday but like always my strategy is to check last minute for cancellations and try to use points to book.

We had a very positive experience. Winning the game sure helped.

Have a great time and I think you are on the right track for things to do.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Can't comment on all your questions, but here is my experience.
We went in 2013. I thought I was prepared for the heat. From our perch near the top of the north stands, we lusted for the tiny showers we could see creeping across the distant landscape.

Traffic was terrible, like most big games.

Easily the best SEC fans I have encountered on their home turf. Some things that made me think they were classy fans: several positive comments to us pre- and post-game, getting swept into a crazy Aggie tailgate, and the young Aggie fan offering us water on the trudge back to the car.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
First, learn how to say "Howdy". Don't return a "Howdy" with a "Hi, how are y'all" unless you want to. I would not go to that massive Aggie CULT meeting, aka Midnight Yell session, on the night prior to the game.

If you fly into Bush Intercontinental Airport, rent a car, stay in The Woodlands, Tx area and drive up 70 - 80 miles early on game day to College Station. There are LOTS of Hotels in The Woodlands area or Conroe, Tx if you can't get a room in College Station or Bryan, Tx. Take I-45 to Texas 105, then Texas Highway 6 into College Station. Visit a watering hole near campus to clinch your thirst.

Don't get a seat in the Aggie section or you will be STANDING the entire game. I was present during the Hurricane Bowl in the late 1980's when B. C. was head coach. I was in the Aggie section and YES, I stood the entire game and listened to chants about farming. In fact, I received tickets from an old Coach Bryant Aggie player from the 1950's.

If you get a seat in the nose bleed sections, be careful going down the escalators.

My son, an Aggie grad, took me to the 2015 Bama vs A & M game. I left the game very HAPPY; he did not!

tidegrandpa

All-American
Can't comment on all your questions, but here is my experience.
We went in 2013. I thought I was prepared for the heat. From our perch near the top of the north stands, we lusted for the tiny showers we could see creeping across the distant landscape.

Traffic was terrible, like most big games.

Easily the best SEC fans I have encountered on their home turf. Some things that made me think they were classy fans: several positive comments to us pre- and post-game, getting swept into a crazy Aggie tailgate, and the young Aggie fan offering us water on the trudge back to the car.
We were at that one too. Hot as blazes and we were in west shade from 3rd qtr on. But it was mid September.

Got fed ribeye and all the sides in Aggie tent before game right beside stadium. We went down 14-0 and crowd thought they had us. Crowd quieted when we scored next 4 possessions.

I don't get welcomed this good at home by my wife, but having my BAMA crimson tee shirt on, all the way across campus back to car after game all I heard was "good game."

Go to North Campus for all the bars and restaurants you want and to mix it up with the Ag's. Over all they're a good bunch.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.