The Cult of Ignorance in America Anti-Intellectualism

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This thread is perfect for what my wife received in her "In-Box" yesterday from the principal of her school regarding the Advanced Summer Reading Program (ASRP). The ASRP is a summer reading program that students can participate in to receive extra credit and award recognition (depending on if you reach the minimal level of points scored). To get credit and award recognition you have to score at least 80% on the test questions for each book read. You also have to read a minimum number of books on the ASRP book list. You cannot move onto the next book until the minimum score of 80% is achieved for the book just read. The students have a certain amount of time during the summer months to complete "X" amount of books on the list. All students who scored the 80% or higher get extra credit and the award recognition. The ones who did not do not get the extra credit or award recognition.......uuuuuntil now. It seems several parents (whose children will not complete the requirements) believe that even those who didn't attain the level of performance to earn them the credit and the award recognition, should at least still be recognized and "praised" for what they did complete. They want them to be included in the award recognition with some level of........WAIT FOR IT....WAIT FOR IT.... (I wish I was making this up)......"PARTICIPATION AWARD"!!!!! LOL! The worst part about it is the principal agreed and has now contacted the PTA president to get them to have a participation medal made for those who participated but didn't meet the same standard as the others. Yet they will share and take part in the award ceremony once school begins in August.

There ya go folks. That good ole public education just getting better.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
It seems several parents (whose children will not complete the requirements) believe that even those who didn't attain the level of performance to earn them the credit and the award recognition, should at least still be recognized and "praised" for what they did complete. They want them to be included in the award recognition with some level of........WAIT FOR IT....WAIT FOR IT.... (I wish I was making this up)......"PARTICIPATION AWARD"!!!!! LOL! The worst part about it is the principal agreed and has now contacted the PTA president to get them to have a participation medal made for those who participated but didn't meet the same standard as the others. Yet they will share and take part in the award ceremony once school begins in August.
SMH At times I think that helicopter parents are doing more damage to public education than the govt.

The participation certificate should be hand-written. In crayon. With misspelled words. On an index card.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
This thread is perfect for what my wife received in her "In-Box" yesterday from the principal of her school regarding the Advanced Summer Reading Program (ASRP). The ASRP is a summer reading program that students can participate in to receive extra credit and award recognition (depending on if you reach the minimal level of points scored). To get credit and award recognition you have to score at least 80% on the test questions for each book read. You also have to read a minimum number of books on the ASRP book list. You cannot move onto the next book until the minimum score of 80% is achieved for the book just read. The students have a certain amount of time during the summer months to complete "X" amount of books on the list. All students who scored the 80% or higher get extra credit and the award recognition. The ones who did not do not get the extra credit or award recognition.......uuuuuntil now. It seems several parents (whose children will not complete the requirements) believe that even those who didn't attain the level of performance to earn them the credit and the award recognition, should at least still be recognized and "praised" for what they did complete. They want them to be included in the award recognition with some level of........WAIT FOR IT....WAIT FOR IT.... (I wish I was making this up)......"PARTICIPATION AWARD"!!!!! LOL! The worst part about it is the principal agreed and has now contacted the PTA president to get them to have a participation medal made for those who participated but didn't meet the same standard as the others. Yet they will share and take part in the award ceremony once school begins in August.

Rewarding kids for not achieving .... this is just all kinds of sad and stupid .... Is this what children in China and India are doing?

My daughter has been in Catholic school since pre-k and they don't tolerate this nonsense. She is currently in math camp and writing camp working on upper level skill sets and she loves it. So, I guess I'll just say to all the parents who encourage their kids to underachieve, "Keep up the good work. Kids like my daughter are going to steamroll your children once they get out into the world."

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
SMH At times I think that helicopter parents are doing more damage to public education than the govt.

The participation certificate should be hand-written. In crayon. With misspelled words. On an index card.
Government is made up of people just like helicopter parents. They are from the same society. Many in government are parents as well, possibly helicopter parents. Not wanting to paint with a HUGE broad brush. But there are times that the decisions of our government truly do reflect the majority of its people it is charged to govern. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. But yes, things like this is sad. Does nothing to help the child.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Government is made up of people just like helicopter parents. They are from the same society. Many in government are parents as well, possibly helicopter parents. Not wanting to paint with a HUGE broad brush. But there are times that the decisions of our government truly do reflect the majority of its people it is charged to govern. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. But yes, things like this is sad. Does nothing to help the child.
Does Government EVER reflect the majority of it's people anymore?

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I went to a private Christian school through most of elementary school. My birthday was after the cut off for enrollment in the county school system, and my parents didn't want me to sit out a year after kindergarten. I went to Westminster Christian first and second grade, then went to public school third, fourth, and fifth grade. After having some issues the first week of school with my sixth grade teacher, my parents sent me back to private school (Madison Academy) for sixth, seventh, and eighth grades. When I got to high school, I went to Sparkman (public school) until graduation.

I can honestly say that about 80% of the material covered while I was in high school, were things I had already been taught in 6-8 grade at MA. So while I have no reason to doubt anyone else's private Christian school experience, I can only say that in my experience the curriculum was far ahead of the public school I later attended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same experience. I went to M/A through 8th grade, then went to Lee HS from 9-12. I don't think any of the major courses I took at Lee advanced much (if any) beyond what I had done in 8th grade at M/A. The sad thing was I went from making A's in Honors English in 11th grade at LHS to having to take remedial English as a senior. They wouldn't let me and a few others out of that class and the teacher I think resented us. I barely eeked out a C in that class.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, now people think you can make up your gender...

Ironically some of those same people have been yelling at people about science for years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.