The Cult of Ignorance in America Anti-Intellectualism

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
After leading the world for decades in 25-34 year olds with university degrees, the U.S. is now in 12th place. The World Economic Forum ranked the U.S. at 52nd among 139 nations in the quality of its university math and science instruction in 2010. Nearly 50% of all graduate students in the sciences in the U.S. are foreigners, most of whom are returning to their home countries

The Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs commissioned a civic education poll among public school students. A surprising 77% didn't know that George Washington was the first President; couldn't name Thomas Jefferson as the author of the Declaration of Independence; and only 2.8% of the students actually passed the citizenship test. Along similar lines, the Goldwater Institute of Phoenix did the same survey and only 3.5% of students passed the civics test

According to the National Research Council report, only 28% of high school science teachers consistently follow the National Research Council guidelines on teaching evolution, and 13% of those teachers explicitly advocate creationism or "intelligent design

18% of Americans still believe that the sun revolves around the earth, according to a Gallup poll

The American Association of State Colleges and Universities report on education shows that the U.S. ranks second among all nations in the proportion of the population aged 35-64 with a college degree, but 19th in the percentage of those aged 25-34 with an associate or high school diploma, which means that for the first time, the educational attainment of young people will be lower than their parents

74% of Republicans in the U.S. Senate and 53% in the House of Representatives deny the validity of climate change despite the findings of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and every other significant scientific organization in the world

According to the 2009 National Assessment of Educational Progress, 68% of public school children in the U.S. do not read proficiently by the time they finish third grade. And the U.S. News & World reported that barely 50% of students are ready for college level reading when they graduate

According to a 2006 survey by National Geographic-Roper, nearly half of Americans between ages 18 and 24 do not think it necessary to know the location of other countries in which important news is being made. More than a third consider it "not at all important" to know a foreign language, and only 14 percent consider it "very important

According to the National Endowment for the Arts report in 1982, 82% of college graduates read novels or poems for pleasure; two decades later only 67% did. And more than 40% of Americans under 44 did not read a single book--fiction or nonfiction--over the course of a year. The proportion of 17 year olds who read nothing (unless required by school ) has doubled between 1984-2004

Gallup released a poll indicating 42 percent of Americans still believe God created human beings in their present form less than 10,000 years ago

A 2008 University of Texas study found that 25 percent of public school biology teachers believe that humans and dinosaurs inhabited the earth simultaneously.
Well since one side has controlled education for the past 40-50 years, is this even a little surprising?

Yet, even this article slides in the global warming comment which has nothing to do with the rest of the article.....which sort of explains the rest of the article by default.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
This is what happens when you have a government that forces teachers everywhere to teach to the lowest common denominator. No child Left behind, common core, and other programs like these, are complete nonsense. Instead of helping the children that are slow, it drags down the ones that normally would excel. Trying to force every kid into the same cookie cutter learning method is destroying education at all levels.

If a kid is truly excelling at a certain subject then a school should be free to encourage and prove more opportunities for that student in those areas of study. If a kid is struggling then a school should be free to hold them back and spend more time with them but, no, must push them through the system to check off that federal check box. Can't let anyone, good or bad student, stray from the mandated path. Only thing that matters is those standardized test scores so we get or funding next year.

If the civics test was part of the SAT/ACT then I bet that percentage would be a lot high but, only if you asked during testing week. "Teach the test" is the public school motto these days.

The poster formerly known as RollTide1017

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It doesn't matter how many times you try to explain this to those who make the decisions about our educational system in this country. They don't want to hear it. Because eventually the conversation turns into a racial narrative. Which you know what that does to any thought of a rational and productive discussion. I work in the educational system on the administrative level. The dumbing of America "fix" is in on the institutional level. It's not going to change. Trust me. I see it everyday.

This is what happens when you have a government that forces teachers everywhere to teach to the lowest common denominator. No child Left behind, common core, and other programs like these, are complete nonsense. Instead of helping the children that are slow, it drags down the ones that normally would excel. Trying to force every kid into the same cookie cutter learning method is destroying education at all levels.

If a kid is truly excelling at a certain subject then a school should be free to encourage and prove more opportunities for that student in those areas of study. If a kid is struggling then a school should be free to hold them back and spend more time with them but, no, must push them through the system to check off that federal check box. Can't let anyone, good or bad student, stray from the mandated path. Only thing that matters is those standardized test scores so we get or funding next year.

If the civics test was part of the SAT/ACT then I bet that percentage would be a lot high but, only if you asked during testing week. "Teach the test" is the public school motto these days.

The poster formerly known as RollTide1017

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
https://www.sott.net/article/313177...tellectualism-and-the-dumbing-down-of-America

I realize you can make your own statistics to influence an outcome, but this is a disturbing article regardless of which side of the fence you favor.
I got 100%.

Of course, I'm a skeptic of a lot of things anyway. The two tests with around 3% were both in states with large concentrations of Native Americans. Did these skew the numbers in any way? (I'm asking seriously).

Also, that article cut out some information that didn't fit its narrative. While that 74% on the orbiting question might be a tad bit alarming, I'm convinced at least a good portion of those mis-read the question. The part not included is that the USA has higher numbers there than the EU, India, or Malaysia while slightly below South Korea.

And the pot shot at the Republicans on climate change, well now tell me.......what EXACTLY is this saying? See, climate change has become like the word homophobic, it changes meaning according to whoever wants to make what accusation. You're said to deny climate change even if you endorse it, think man caused it, but don't think it's anywhere near the most important thing on earth right now (or point out that a lot of us grew up being told the planet is getting COLDER by pretty much the same government funded idiots).

I don't doubt the core argument nor do I think anyone can because I've actually seen it. But it's NOT just a right-wing thing, either if you pay attention. There is no ideological litmus test to characterize stupidity.

The Japan Teacher's Unions actually ruptured over politics in the 1980s, totally different than here in the USA where the NEA has been as behind the Democrats as alt-right has been the Republicans.

The core point is correct, but the condescension within the article doesn't help on some of the fine points. The assumption is "If you're an intellectual, you must hold THIS position." Sometimes that's true - oftentimes it is not.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I got one wrong, year the constitution was written, I said 1789 when it was 1787
Drafted vs ratified (NH's ratification made 9/13 states. Trivia points, the 13th state to ratify, RI, did not ratify until May 1790, thirteen months after Washington's inauguration).

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The US Customs and Immigration Service Civics Test.
If that is the one only ~3% could pass, God help us. That is not that difficult.
What a ridiculously easy test, not to mention that passing is 6/10 and that the bank of one hundred possible questions are available online for study beforehand.

Edit: I was amused by some of the incorrect answer choices. When asked what is one power of the federal government, one incorrect choice was "provide schooling and education". When asked what was one cause of the Civil War, one apparently incorrect choice was "westward expansion"; but an intellectual might ask himself, "If there had been no westward expansion and no new States as a result, would the Civil War have still occurred?"

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Pew just released a report that asked GOP-leaning and Dem-leading Americans their view on various institutions. A strong majority of Republicans think that colleges and universities are bad for America.

LINK

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Pew just released a report that asked GOP-leaning and Dem-leading Americans their view on various institutions. A strong majority of Republicans think that colleges and universities are bad for America.

LINK
stupid dems and their mean bigotry and racism doesn't give the gop a chance. it's not fair.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

LINK
many here on a board dedicated to a University believe exactly this. The irony fuels my lols

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
stupid dems and their mean bigotry and racism doesn't give the gop a chance. it's not fair.
Ah yes, why do we preach tolerance, yet cannot accept intolerance?

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal."

-Karl Popper

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Ah yes, why do we preach tolerance, yet cannot accept intolerance?

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal."

-Karl Popper
you are pretty explicitly threatening the religious liberty of a lot of folks with that post. i would suggest you tread lightly.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

LINK
I really can't say that colleges and universities per se are bad, but if I was asked, I would say that a campus on which faculty members "need some muscle over here"
or campuses on which students "wanted white people to stay off campus," I'd say that is bad for America.
I'm a liberal, however, not a leftist.
And opposing left-wing lunacy like the examples above is not "anti-intellectualism," it is pro-education and pro-learning.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
And opposing left-wing lunacy like the examples above is not "anti-intellectualism," it is pro-education and pro-learning.
Sure, but that's pretty clearly a fringe circumstance that isn't representative of higher education as a whole.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.