News Article: Beach Goers Make a Human Chain to Save Drowning Family

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Been there....holding my two baby girls screaming for help in SanDestin. Around 20 people formed a chain (holding hands) saved us. Thank GOD. Rip currents are for real - and do NOT underestimate their power. Be careful in big water.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Been there....holding my two baby girls screaming for help in SanDestin. Around 20 people formed a chain (holding hands) saved us. Thank GOD. Rip currents are for real - and do NOT underestimate their power. Be careful in big water.
They can be handled, but people just don't seem to listen to how to do it - or they're weak or non-swimmers...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Some people just know how to react to a crisis. Glad one was there. Awesome story. Wow, a thread where something good happens. Love it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I guess having grown up near the beach I take it for granted that people know how to exit a rip current, but for those who do not - swim parallel to the shore until you leave the current. They're typically not very wide, but they're strong, and if you panic and try to fight them you will lose.

Rip current 101: swim parallel to the shore until you feel the current fade, then swim to shore.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I guess having grown up near the beach I take it for granted that people know how to exit a rip current, but for those who do not - swim parallel to the shore until you leave the current. They're typically not very wide, but they're strong, and if you panic and try to fight them you will lose.

Rip current 101: swim parallel to the shore until you feel the current fade, then swim to shore.
Rip current 102: Swim in a pool.......Sit by the ocean

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
With the kind and volume of kayaking I've done, I'd be dead, if I had a tendency to panic...
It's just not in the genetic makeup of some people to handle stressful situations well. People just need to be self aware that the ocean isn't really a good place for poor swimmers that panic.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's just not in the genetic makeup of some people to handle stressful situations well. People just need to be self aware that the ocean isn't really a good place for poor swimmers that panic.
I think you're right. I've had people who had all the physical tools for kayaking and just could handle the stress of the moment. Once, I was kayaking with a guy who's a pro and better than I. He's run a service down in Chile on the Futalafeu for years now. He talked me into hand-surfing Diamond Splitter on the Ocoee. Now, I can hand-surf. My problem was I didn't have much of a hand roll in swift water. My torso was too short and stiff, although muscular. My daughter, being slender and long in the torso, could hand-roll easily. He said "Don't worry, I'll come help you up." Ha! He got pinned in the eddy by more boats coming down. I surfed for a while and then missed and flipped. I missed a couple of hand rolls in the swift run out and banged on the bottom of my boat. No Chris. Suddenly, I heard/felt something hit the bottom of my boat. My paddle! I grabbed it and rolled up. I reminded him of that recently and he said "Who does that???" I complimented him on his javelin throw. Point is, there just aren't that many people who can hold it together and think coldly under pressure. That situation was life-threatening. However, many times, being able to think logically when the alternative was death has saved my life. I agree that being a poor swimmer inevitably leads to panic...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think you're right. I've had people who had all the physical tools for kayaking and just could handle the stress of the moment. Once, I was kayaking with a guy who's a pro and better than I. He's run a service down in Chile on the Futalafeu for years now. He talked me into hand-surfing Diamond Splitter on the Ocoee. Now, I can hand-surf. My problem was I didn't have much of a hand roll in swift water. My torso was too short and stiff, although muscular. My daughter, being slender and long in the torso, could hand-roll easily. He said "Don't worry, I'll come help you up." Ha! He got pinned in the eddy by more boats coming down. I surfed for a while and then missed and flipped. I missed a couple of hand rolls in the swift run out and banged on the bottom of my boat. No Chris. Suddenly, I heard/felt something hit the bottom of my boat. My paddle! I grabbed it and rolled up. I reminded him of that recently and he said "Who does that???" I complimented him on his javelin throw. Point is, there just aren't that many people who can hold it together and think coldly under pressure. That situation was life-threatening. However, many times, being able to think logically when the alternative was death has saved my life. I agree that being a poor swimmer inevitably leads to panic...
we spent our honeymoon at chris' place in futalefu, a couple of days in town at their hq and 4 days at a cabin up in the mountains. i had met him at a dagger clinic on the ocoee, in 95 i think.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We go to the beach (Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Ft. Morgan) every other year on a mini family reunion vacay. Each time we go I am amazed at the lack of respect people have for the power of nature. Parents just letting little kids "take off" into the ocean without even an ounce of fear or a watchful eye. I have no clue, but there's no telling how many kids and/or adults who drown each year simply because they don't respect the water. The ocean is a thing of beauty but can quickly turn into a nightmare in the blink of an eye.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
My family was at PCB near that same area about 8 years ago on a weekend vacation. There was a tropical storm out in the Gulf earlier in the week that made for double red flag conditions (got a steal of a deal on a condo for the weekend). There were hardly any people on the beach, but a family of 4 (like mine) that were close to our same age passed by us and set up about 50 yards down from us. We briefly chatted with them as they passed by, and they seemed like really nice folks.

Since the conditions were so bad, I only let my girls basically get their feet wet. I noticed the other family let their kids play in the water as they wanted to, and my girls kept trying to venture out further because their kids were. After about the third time of getting on to them, I said "That's it...we're heading back to the condo" (the condo was across the road from the beach, and had 3 different private pools for the condo residents and their guests).

About an hour or so later, while kicking back poolside, I heard a big commotion going on and I went to see what was going on. Turns out, the father drowned trying to save the two kids. I told my girls "There's a reason behind everything we tell you to do or not do".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.