Re: Predicting the ACC in 2017

1. Florida State
    2. Miami
    3. Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    As crazy as it sounds I think Clemson might win the conference. I just don't buy into Petrino producing and Fisher has a habit of losing control after losses early in the season. With that said I think the ACC is the odd conference out of the playoffs.

I think Miami is the team that could be the dark horse.
    Miami plays at FSU, but plays neither Clemson nor Louisville. Of course that could be good for both Clemson and Louisville as well.
    Last edited by ALA2262; July 11th, 2017 at 05:20 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

FSU and Clemson will fight for a spot in ACC title game vs. Miami or Virginia Tech. I think FSU goes 12-1 and makes the playoffs.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    What? Meyer and Saban are the only 2 that are currently above him I believe. Does 3 season making it to playoffs and one of them winning not start the conversation that he is number 2 instead of number 3?
    Meyer has won 3 national championships, with 3 very different teams (including 3 different QBs) at 2 different schools. Dabo has won 1 national championship. Let's see him win 2 more to at least match Meyer's total before we start thinking that he might be better.

I mean, Meyer has accomplished a whole lot more than Saban had at this point in his career. Does that make him better than Saban?

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    1. Florida State
    2. Miami
    3. Clemson
    My take
    1. Florida State
    2. Clemson
    3. Miami
    4. UNC
    5. Louisville
    6. Pitt
    7. Does not really matter after 7 :-) Well, in my book, does not really matter after #1 in the ACC. Because, I only see 1 team from the ACC getting into the playoff. Just My Opinion

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Doesn't make any difference. The ACC is the best conference ever, according to Jimbo Fisher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think you guys are overlooking how much both Pitt and UNCheat lost from last year; IMO both take a step back. Unfortunately, I think VT does also, to the tune of 9-3 and 2nd place in the Coastal. And even though the thought makes me want to puke, don't count out GT this year. But in the end, E$PN finally gets their dream matchup in the ACCCG with FSU taking on Miami. In true Richt fashion, though, the canes come up just short, and the 'noles close it out the same way they started it, playing you guys for the golden lipstick trophy.

BamaNation All-American BamaGreek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    If Dabo can keep them hungry and they win the ACC does that put him in the discussion as greater than Urban Meyer.
    My short answer; No. Lets see the consistent winning of ACC and playoff appearances and another National Championship or two then maybe. Dabo is definitely one of the best and brightest young head coaches in the game for sure. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    I think you guys are overlooking how much both Pitt and UNCheat lost from last year; IMO both take a step back. Unfortunately, I think VT does also, to the tune of 9-3 and 2nd place in the Coastal. And even though the thought makes me want to puke, don't count out GT this year. But in the end, E$PN finally gets their dream matchup in the ACCCG with FSU taking on Miami. In true Richt fashion, though, the canes come up just short, and the 'noles close it out the same way they started it, playing you guys for the golden lipstick trophy.
    What did you think of Jerrod Evans declaring for the draft? Seems like a huge mistake that hurt both him and the program.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Meyer has won 3 national championships, with 3 very different teams (including 3 different QBs) at 2 different schools. Dabo has won 1 national championship. Let's see him win 2 more to at least match Meyer's total before we start thinking that he might be better.

I mean, Meyer has accomplished a whole lot more than Saban had at this point in his career. Does that make him better than Saban?
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaGreek View Post
    My short answer; No. Lets see the consistent winning of ACC and playoff appearances and another National Championship or two then maybe. Dabo is definitely one of the best and brightest young head coaches in the game for sure. Just my opinion.

Yea, Dabo isn't on the Meyer/Saban level yet. He looks like he is on his way into that conversation but he needs to have a longer track record first. This is a big moment for Dabo. Can he continue to push for the playoff each year without Watson? I actually think his biggest challenge will be replacing Brent Venables when he eventually leaves(which should be pretty soon I would think).

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    What did you think of Jerrod Evans declaring for the draft? Seems like a huge mistake that hurt both him and the program.
    Personally, I think he got some bad advice, and unfortunately decided to ignore what he heard from his coaches and NFL advisors. From a football perspective he certainly would have benefitted from another year in college, and Fuente is no slouch when it comes to developing QBs. As for the program, it's almost always better to have a returning starter at QB, but it's not like the cupboard is bare, either. Josh Jackson is a redshirt freshman who was rumored to have nearly won the starting job last year, and Hendon Hooker is a highly regarded true freshman (4* on the 247 composite). One of them is almost certain to be the starter this year, and no disrespect to Evans, it's possible we'll be just as happy with one of them.

Disclaimer: I don't know Evans' personal situation and whether there were extenuating circumstances, such as needing to support a family, etc. As a fan, it's easy to say that he made the wrong decision, but at the end of the day it was his decision to make and none of us know all the factors that went in to it. I'm happy he came to VT, if only for a year, and wish him nothing but the best.

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    The ACC is the best conference ever, according to Jimbo Fisher.
    In fairness, over the last three years, the ACC has 2 national championships, 1 heisman winner, and a 20-13 record against the SEC, including going 7-5 in bowls. Unless I'm mistaken, the SEC has a winning record against every other conference in that same time period.
    Obviously I'm cherry picking the dates here, you could clearly go back 10 years and the SEC would dominate, no argument. But based on the last few years, I think Jimbo's got a pretty strong case.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    In fairness, over the last three years, the ACC has 2 national championships, 1 heisman winner, and a 20-13 record against the SEC, including going 7-5 in bowls. Unless I'm mistaken, the SEC has a winning record against every other conference in that same time period.
    Obviously I'm cherry picking the dates here, you could clearly go back 10 years and the SEC would dominate, no argument. But based on the last few years, I think Jimbo's got a pretty strong case.
    Since Ohio State won it in 2014, Alabama in 2015, not sure how you have the ACC with 2 in the last 3 years. The ACC has 2 in the last 4, and that is picking a very selective window and set of criteria. Extend it to 5 years or shorten it to 3 years and the story looks very different.