Question: Predicting the ACC in 2017

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
With Media Days upon us, it's time to start with predictions and such. Place em here, bold & not so bold.

My take:

The top three teams are easily Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville. The biggest games in that conference this season will be when all three of them play against each other as well as Clemson versus Auburn, Louisville versus Kentucky, and Florida State versus Alabama.

I think Louisville will be just as dangerous on offense, but I do think they take a step back on defense with Grantham at Miss St now. I think Florida State will be improved, but I don't think that they wind up in the playoffs due to inexperience along the defensive line. I think Clemson surprises everyone and remains just as competitive without Watson at quarterback. That team lost a lot, more than just Watson. But they have done an incredible job of recruiting and they have a ton of five star guys that can step in and fill the void.

With that being said, I think two sleeper teams to look at in their conference at North Carolina and Pittsburgh. They always seem to be right there. And Richt will have Miami competitive sooner than later. Loading up with talent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Grantham is that big of a loss for Louisville because he loses his cool in-game too often and makes overly aggressive play calls you see coming from a mile away.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess that I like FSU, but Clemson has a ton of talent returning. I just have no idea what they will look like at QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You heard me here first. Clemson with 3 losses.
Clemson has two major things going against them this year:

1. Breaking in a brand new qb doesn't always work the way it did for us last year.

2. Hunger! - This season will prove Dabo's maturity as a coach. If he can motivate a team that got to the mountain top the previous season to have the hunger to get back into the playoffs again this year IMO it'll be as good of job as last year even if they fall short.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As crazy as it sounds I think Clemson might win the conference. I just don't buy into Petrino producing and Fisher has a habit of losing control after losses early in the season. With that said I think the ACC is the odd conference out of the playoffs.

I think Miami is the team that could be the dark horse.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
As crazy as it sounds I think Clemson might win the conference. I just don't buy into Petrino producing and Fisher has a habit of losing control after losses early in the season. With that said I think the ACC is the odd conference out of the playoffs.

i like that pick, things could actually bounce their way by default this year. FSU at the moment is the only one that looks like a sure thing. If they get dismantled in the first game by BAMA, you just never know how that will affect their season. i wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson, FSU and Louisville with 2 losses each this yeat

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

If Dabo can keep them hungry and they win the ACC does that put him in the discussion as greater than Urban Meyer.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Petrino still doesn't think you need a defense to win.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What? Meyer and Saban are the only 2 that are currently above him I believe. Does 3 season making it to playoffs and one of them winning not start the conversation that he is number 2 instead of number 3?
Well, your original question solely referenced winning the ACC.

Making the playoff would cause the topic to be asked if Ohio State doesn't make the playoff.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Well, your original question solely referenced winning the ACC.

Making the playoff would cause the topic to be asked if Ohio State doesn't make the playoff.
I think winning the ACC means making the play off.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Miami plays at FSU, but plays neither Clemson nor Louisville. Of course that could be good for both Clemson and Louisville as well.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What? Meyer and Saban are the only 2 that are currently above him I believe. Does 3 season making it to playoffs and one of them winning not start the conversation that he is number 2 instead of number 3?
Meyer has won 3 national championships, with 3 very different teams (including 3 different QBs) at 2 different schools. Dabo has won 1 national championship. Let's see him win 2 more to at least match Meyer's total before we start thinking that he might be better.

I mean, Meyer has accomplished a whole lot more than Saban had at this point in his career. Does that make him better than Saban?

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
1. Florida State
2. Miami
3. Clemson
My take
1. Florida State
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. UNC
5. Louisville
6. Pitt
7. Does not really matter after 7 :) Well, in my book, does not really matter after #1 in the ACC. Because, I only see 1 team from the ACC getting into the playoff. Just My Opinion

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
I think you guys are overlooking how much both Pitt and UNCheat lost from last year; IMO both take a step back. Unfortunately, I think VT does also, to the tune of 9-3 and 2nd place in the Coastal. And even though the thought makes me want to puke, don't count out GT this year. But in the end, E$PN finally gets their dream matchup in the ACCCG with FSU taking on Miami. In true Richt fashion, though, the canes come up just short, and the 'noles close it out the same way they started it, playing you guys for the golden lipstick trophy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.