Question: Predicting the ACC in 2017
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Predicting the ACC in 2017

With Media Days upon us, it's time to start with predictions and such. Place em here, bold & not so bold.

My take:

The top three teams are easily Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville. The biggest games in that conference this season will be when all three of them play against each other as well as Clemson versus Auburn, Louisville versus Kentucky, and Florida State versus Alabama.

I think Louisville will be just as dangerous on offense, but I do think they take a step back on defense with Grantham at Miss St now. I think Florida State will be improved, but I don't think that they wind up in the playoffs due to inexperience along the defensive line. I think Clemson surprises everyone and remains just as competitive without Watson at quarterback. That team lost a lot, more than just Watson. But they have done an incredible job of recruiting and they have a ton of five star guys that can step in and fill the void.

With that being said, I think two sleeper teams to look at in their conference at North Carolina and Pittsburgh. They always seem to be right there. And Richt will have Miami competitive sooner than later. Loading up with talent.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

2. Advertisement
    Football and Basketball Moderator

Re: Predicting the ACC in 2017

I don't think Grantham is that big of a loss for Louisville because he loses his cool in-game too often and makes overly aggressive play calls you see coming from a mile away.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I guess that I like FSU, but Clemson has a ton of talent returning. I just have no idea what they will look like at QB.

You heard me here first. Clemson with 3 losses.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    You heard me here first. Clemson with 3 losses.
    Clemson has two major things going against them this year:

1. Breaking in a brand new qb doesn't always work the way it did for us last year.

2. Hunger! - This season will prove Dabo's maturity as a coach. If he can motivate a team that got to the mountain top the previous season to have the hunger to get back into the playoffs again this year IMO it'll be as good of job as last year even if they fall short.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

As crazy as it sounds I think Clemson might win the conference. I just don't buy into Petrino producing and Fisher has a habit of losing control after losses early in the season. With that said I think the ACC is the odd conference out of the playoffs.

I think Miami is the team that could be the dark horse.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; July 11th, 2017 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    As crazy as it sounds I think Clemson might win the conference. I just don't buy into Petrino producing and Fisher has a habit of losing control after losses early in the season. With that said I think the ACC is the odd conference out of the playoffs.

i like that pick, things could actually bounce their way by default this year. FSU at the moment is the only one that looks like a sure thing. If they get dismantled in the first game by BAMA, you just never know how that will affect their season. i wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson, FSU and Louisville with 2 losses each this yeat

If Dabo can keep them hungry and they win the ACC does that put him in the discussion as greater than Urban Meyer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Petrino still doesn't think you need a defense to win.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    If Dabo can keep them hungry and they win the ACC does that put him in the discussion as greater than Urban Meyer.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    What? Meyer and Saban are the only 2 that are currently above him I believe. Does 3 season making it to playoffs and one of them winning not start the conversation that he is number 2 instead of number 3?

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    What? Meyer and Saban are the only 2 that are currently above him I believe. Does 3 season making it to playoffs and one of them winning not start the conversation that he is number 2 instead of number 3?
    Well, your original question solely referenced winning the ACC.

Making the playoff would cause the topic to be asked if Ohio State doesn't make the playoff.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Well, your original question solely referenced winning the ACC.

Making the playoff would cause the topic to be asked if Ohio State doesn't make the playoff.
    I think winning the ACC means making the play off.