Poll: Will butch jones Survive?

Will Butch Jone s be in knoxville for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think he gets terminated this year for not winning big last year. This is a plain and simple rebuild year but after the poor finish last year the natives are restless.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Interesting dynamic - 16 returning starters, but the guys gone were playmakers. 16 starters back from a team ua annihilated, that lost to Vandy, needed auburn luck to beat tamu

Also GT returns I think 16 starters, 10 of which ar Seniors, and are a 3 1/2 pt dog in Atlanta - I am probably playing GT as a live dog that Monday Night
You are absolutely correct about losing play makers. However, he also got rid of a couple of guys who seemed to be team cancers. Then again, you are also absolutely correct that Botch has not prepared his guys consistently. The GT game could certainly build some love that has been lost from the fans. If he loses that game, forget what I said about winning 8 or 9; he's toast. If he wins it, he could again get to 8 or 9.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
Several have mentioned they won 9 while losing to Vanderbilt, but they also lost to USC. Imagine those two losses on the resume when you could be in Atlanta and then on to the Sugar Bowl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
That's the stat that's telling. His resume is literately saying that he's beat (almost) everyone that he should have and he hasn't beat the teams that count. Looking at their schedule, they could legitimately lose 8 games. If he loses to the main guys again AND to Vandy, I think he's gone hands-down. I'm thinking making it to the SEC championship will solidify his job for 2018.
I voted no because Every preseason top 25 poll I have seen (seven of them) has Tennessee Losing to Alabama, Florida, Georgia and LSU. I think 8-4 will be the end of him, but then Tennessee may be getting used to middle of the pack.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I voted no because Every preseason top 25 poll I have seen (seven of them) has Tennessee Losing to Alabama, Florida, Georgia and LSU. I think 8-4 will be the end of him, but then Tennessee may be getting used to middle of the pack.
Their administration doesn't seem like they are gung-ho to make a move like LSU was when they were dealing with Miles. At least with LSU, regardless of how bad they handled it, you can tell that the administration wasn't satisfied with Miles. For some reason, I truly believe UcheaT administration is ok with Jones ... but if he has a lackluster season, they won't be able to not react if the fans and alumni-base calls for a change.

He had one of the best teams talent-wise that UT has had in years and he still finished 3rd in the East ... and if Kentucky didn't falter like they did ... he would have finished 4th. I can't honestly see how they (the administration) can justify that CBJ has the program in a good position.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Isnt it all about Fake News, I thing UcheaT started it with Fat Phil. Looks like Butch wont loose his job. I hope they keep him another 3 years.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Maybe so. But I think the Great Pumpkin will manipulate to take over the program himself before season's end.
Could, if ut opens 2-3 with losses to GT, Florida and UGA - this exact thing happen, ala Orgeron last year?

maybe even at 1-2 after a loss to UF?

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yeah, the collective orange memory is still pretty raw from how last season ended. They are used to finishing an easy end of the schedule with a flourish and fashioning it into "build momentum on that strong finish from last year" even though beating up on traditional final opponents Vandy and Kentucky isn't exactly support for that feeling. Phat Phil did not hesitate to stick a knife in his supposed friend and mentor Johnny Majors' back when he was in the hospital, he sure won't hesitate to get rid of the likes of Butch.

My prediction is that they will take care of Georgia Tech, given extra time in fall camp to prepare for the option, but it may still be a close one. The fans will get all juiced up about how this is their year, then they'll lose to Florida and Georgia. That'll be Phil's opportunity. There will be lots of rumors, the dreaded vote of confidence, and then the next time they get drilled (USCe, Alabama, and LSU are all still lurking at that point, not to mention UK and VU), Butch will find his stuff on the street in a cardboard box. Beating Florida and Georgia gets him a contract extension; one or the other might save his job, if they are otherwise competitive.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Barring a total collapse, I think they keep him. The UT AD saw what happened at LSU last year. so I'd be surprised if he is canned this year. That is, if he can get to 8 wins. If not all bets are off. I still think the problem is who is going to come to Knoxville. The athletic dept is in debt up to it eyeballs, the facilities are not top flite, the fan base has unrealistic expectations, and they have no natural recruiting base(there are just not many good players that close to Knoxville).

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Interesting dynamic - 16 returning starters, but the guys gone were playmakers. 16 starters back from a team UA annihilated, that lost to Vandy, needed auburn luck to beat tamu

Also GT returns I think 16 starters, 10 of which ar Seniors, and are a 3 1/2 pt dog in Atlanta - I am probably playing GT as a live dog that Monday Night
Tennessee did not beat A&M. They lost in OT.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
As polling places are starting to report, it appears that about two-thirds of this board think Butch Jones Is Dead Man Walking

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Butch will be gone and - you're not going to like this - if Peyton wants the job he will be coach in 2018. I just don't know if he wants the job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.