Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

I tip my hat to Clemson for earning & winning the NC last season, but, that doesn't equate the ACC into overtaking The SEC as college footballs most dominant conference..The SEC is still the best of the best in college football & if I were a betting man my money is on Alabama once again winning the NC & I won't be shocked if Clemson takes a tumble without Deshaun Watson at QB..

2. Advertisement

After last year (National Title, Heisman, very strong bowl performance) I think the ACC has earned the right to thump their chest a little. They were the best conference in 2016. We'll see how it goes going forward.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I tip my hat to Clemson for earning & winning the NC last season, but, that doesn't equate the ACC into overtaking The SEC as college footballs most dominant conference..The SEC is still the best of the best in college football & if I were a betting man my money is on Alabama once again winning the NC & I won't be shocked if Clemson takes a tumble without Deshaun Watson at QB..
    Amen, brother. Two things I'm looking forward to this season:
    1. Watching Deshaun Watson get "welcomed" to the NFL.
    2. Clemson sliding back to what is normal for them (8-4, 9-3, maybe 10-2)

BamaNation All-SEC RollinTider1335's Avatar

Hey y'all! Been a while!

The SEC has lost a lot of good coaches in the wake of Alabama's success. Also, the SEC overall has had some young inexperienced QBs the past 3-4 years that have not been as talented as the Tebows, McCarrons, Prescotts, Aaron Murray, Staffords, and sCam. Even SCe had some good QB players with Spurier. The talent around the QB in the SEC is as good or better than any other conference.

So between coaching losses and undeveloped QB players, i can see how other conferences have bridged the gap. We will be back at the top and i suspect pretty soon.

RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

I hate seeing Auburn win but, I kinda want them to smack Clemson around in week 2.
    The poster formerly known as RollTide1017

BamaNation First Team PA Tide Fan's Avatar

This is the type of comment he could make if they beat us but I don't understand the logic behind it with a big game against us coming up. I'm glad he made it though if it helps get our guys fired up.

BamaNation All-American

Heard Jimbo's quote - doesn't strike me as anything inflammatory.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

He may be right. The coaching has certainly been improved in that conference.

But the talent (see NFL draft) and the money (overall fan interest and support) still reside in the SEC. I suspect when Coach Saban retires (hopefully several years left before that happens), the rest of the SEC will begin picking off the top ACC coaching talent. It may even happen sooner than that. So, they can have their day. Alabama isn't going anywhere for a while, and that's really all I care about.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

It's hard to argue with Dabo because he has the NC to back up his statement, but, one season doesn't erase the domination The SEC has put on college football the last 10yrs..

I admit the gap has closed due to really good coaching in the top half of the ACC & Big 10, but, to make that claim you have to have multiple years of National Championship years to make that claim like the SEC has had the last 10yrs..

I may be wrong in my opinion, that's just how I see it, it's one thing to win one NC, as compared to multiple Championships that Bama & The SEC has won the last 10yrs..The SEC is still "King Of The Hill" in college football despite Clemson winning the NC last season..

If The ACC wins the next 2-3 NC's they can make that claim & I will agree with them wholeheartedly..

which conference had the most players drafted? SEC and that is the case just about every year

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

I do not see the wisdom of making that comment seven weeks before playing Alabama, but he does have a national championship, his conference has another. It may be that ten years form now, if the ACC has won five more national championships, and a couple more Heisman trophies, we could look back at this moment and say Jimbo was onto something. Time will tell.
    In the mean time, Jimbo has a date with CNS and the Alabama Crimson Tide.

BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar

I see nothing wrong with his statement. He's calling it as he sees it, and trying to inspire confidence in his team. I'd have found it to be more odd had he said anything else.

I also can't say that I entirely disagree with Jimbo at the moment. For the time being it appears the ACC is on the way up, and the SEC on its way down. For the past couple of years the conference has been Bama and everyone else. The West hasn't been remotely competitive and the East has been trash. College football is entirely cyclical. Therefore it's logical to assume the SEC domination has to end eventually. It might be sooner rather than later.

With that said, we'll get a good idea of the directions of the conferences this season. These are the SEC vs ACC matchups in the first 3 weeks:

Bama vs FSU
    NC St vs USCe
    UT vs GaTech
    Auburn vs Clemson

That doesn't even include the end of season conference crossovers like FSU vs UF. All of those matchups are teams that are expected to be ranked in roughly the same position in relation to their respective conference as their opponent. I believe we'll get a pretty good sampling from top to bottom how the conferences stack up with each other.

Formerly BamaBomber

BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar

For now, Jimbo gets to stand on Dabo's shoulders and crow. Let's see if they can hold their claim to the top of the mountain. They get a shot on Sept. 2nd.