Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The ACC played six FCS teams this weekend. So why doesn't the national media whine about it the way they do when the SEC does it in November?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That complaint - which was stupid - primarily goes back to the BCS days.

Their beef went something like this: the SEC schedules those cupcakes as a rest game between Separation Saturday and Rivalry Weekend at a time when other schools are playing TOUGH teams and falling in the standings and getting beat.

For example, in 2011, Okie State played Iowa State on Friday, November 18, and lost....the next day, Oregon lost to USC, eliminating the Ducks.

Of course, the flip side to that argument should be obvious to anyone with a brain: not only did Okie St NOT play a team within two touchdowns of LSU but how in the hell do you lose to Iowa St in the first place? (Something to do with basketball coaches dying in a plane crash, but they blew a 24-7 lead, apparently when all went into spontaneous grief over b-ball coaches most of them didn't even know by name).

In 2012, the same basic thing happened with Oregon and K-State lost on November 17 while Alabama was playing West Carolina.

The theory was that it was the losing late that hurt those teams and dropped them in the polls.....but those sportswriters were using a poll era mentality to even think that. I seem to recall Oklahoma AND Nebraska playing for national titles after losing their last game of the pre-bowl season, so why would anyone say this?

Furthermore, MOST SEC teams in recent years have opted to play a challenging foe either in week one or week two.

Okie State didn't drop in the polls because they lost on November 18, they dropped because they lost to cotton picking Iowa State!!! (Ok, corn shucking Iowa State). It would not have helped them any had they lost that game on October 18 that year - as USC can testify when they written off after losing to 41-point underdog Stanford in 2007. Over and over the press said, "I just can't get past losing to Stanford."

It was just one of those "the SEC rigs the game" comments......funny thing is that in 2006, Florida played WCU right before they played FSU and not one word was said about it. In 2008, they played the Citadel. Again, not one single word about the game being a disgusting way to get a bye. In 2009, Alabama played UTC - that's actually the first time there was a beef because of all the cluster of undeserving unbeatens (I'm looking right at you, Boise and TCU and Cincy) at the top of the polls.

I always said this.....okay....."We'll play TCU on November 12, 2011 AND we'll play Iowa State on Friday, November 18........but Boise plays them in Baton Rouge on November 5 and Okie plays them in Red Stick on November 12...."

In fact, imagine if we just traded schedules.......we wouldn't be having this discussion because LSU, Arkansas, and Penn State would all have beaten Okie St and Boise..........(so long as it was pre-Paterno firing)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.