Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He may be right. The coaching has certainly been improved in that conference.

But the talent (see NFL draft) and the money (overall fan interest and support) still reside in the SEC. I suspect when Coach Saban retires (hopefully several years left before that happens), the rest of the SEC will begin picking off the top ACC coaching talent. It may even happen sooner than that. So, they can have their day. Alabama isn't going anywhere for a while, and that's really all I care about.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's hard to argue with Dabo because he has the NC to back up his statement, but, one season doesn't erase the domination The SEC has put on college football the last 10yrs..

I admit the gap has closed due to really good coaching in the top half of the ACC & Big 10, but, to make that claim you have to have multiple years of National Championship years to make that claim like the SEC has had the last 10yrs..

I may be wrong in my opinion, that's just how I see it, it's one thing to win one NC, as compared to multiple Championships that Bama & The SEC has won the last 10yrs..The SEC is still "King Of The Hill" in college football despite Clemson winning the NC last season..

If The ACC wins the next 2-3 NC's they can make that claim & I will agree with them wholeheartedly..

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do not see the wisdom of making that comment seven weeks before playing Alabama, but he does have a national championship, his conference has another. It may be that ten years form now, if the ACC has won five more national championships, and a couple more Heisman trophies, we could look back at this moment and say Jimbo was onto something. Time will tell.
In the mean time, Jimbo has a date with CNS and the Alabama Crimson Tide.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I see nothing wrong with his statement. He's calling it as he sees it, and trying to inspire confidence in his team. I'd have found it to be more odd had he said anything else.

I also can't say that I entirely disagree with Jimbo at the moment. For the time being it appears the ACC is on the way up, and the SEC on its way down. For the past couple of years the conference has been Bama and everyone else. The West hasn't been remotely competitive and the East has been trash. College football is entirely cyclical. Therefore it's logical to assume the SEC domination has to end eventually. It might be sooner rather than later.

With that said, we'll get a good idea of the directions of the conferences this season. These are the SEC vs ACC matchups in the first 3 weeks:

Bama vs FSU
NC St vs USCe
UT vs GaTech
Auburn vs Clemson

That doesn't even include the end of season conference crossovers like FSU vs UF. All of those matchups are teams that are expected to be ranked in roughly the same position in relation to their respective conference as their opponent. I believe we'll get a pretty good sampling from top to bottom how the conferences stack up with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me explain the thought process behind Forde's column:

1) I need some clicks so what should I do?
2) I'll troll the SEC
3) Writes column that's not 'really' provocative but has provocative headline
4) Sits back and tells his boss, "See, I can still bring them in."

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
One good year from the ACC does kick the SEC off the mountain top. My GF cheers Miami and can't name all the members of the ACC let alone the head football coaches

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One good year from the ACC does kick the SEC off the mountain top. My GF cheers Miami and can't name all the members of the ACC let alone the head football coaches
Well, here's a thought for you.....

Head Coaches in the ACC

Clemson - five years as an SEC assistant
FSU - thirteen years as an SEC coordinator
Louisville - one year SEC coordinator, four years SEC coach, only fired due to a motorcycle exposure
Miami - fifteen years as an SEC head coach that included two conference titles
UNC - three years as an SEC OC at Florida
Wake Forest - one year OC at Tennessee
Boston College - six years as a Florida assistant under Urban
Duke - 19 years SEC assistant, 7 years SEC head coach, part of five SEC conference titles

Eight of their head coaches have SEC experience and at least FIVE of those could be said to have SUBSTANTIAL SEC experience (it's a bit tricky including the Wake coach).

On top of that one of those coaches - dabaxter - was the self-appointed guy who would be here if Saban stayed in Miami.

(The folks who have been here since pre-Saban will chuckle out loud at that one).

It could VERY easily be argued that that SEC experience has contributed to the rise of the ACC. I'm not listing it as the SOLE CAUSE but........look at your top three programs, the same one's Forde mentioned.

Jimbo Fisher had EXTENSIVE SEC experience......and maybe I should point out that Fisher was already the proxy head coach for about three years when he got the job, so he got to screw up and not really be all that accountable for it. FSU was not overly good any of those three years......and back then the ACC wasn't exactly the SEC, either. But even though Florida is a huge state, I'll go ahead and say it - does anyone here actually believe it was an ACCIDENT that Fisher's rise in FSU just happened to occur at the same time Florida imploded with Muschamp (and there's one right there that would be the exception to the rule if there is any) and Miami being long-term terrible under Randy Shannon and Al Golden?

Of course not. It's just like why Auburn had some very good (by their standards) years while Alabama was on probation (9-4, 8-5, 13-0, 9-3, 11-2, 9-4 and then Saban sets up camp with his own freshmen recruiting class and Auburn is suddenly 5-7; the same exact thing happened in the late 90s in Mississippi, where Ole Miss was crippled and MSU won a division title).

I'm NOT saying Fisher isn't a good coach, but I think an argument can be made his SEC experience helps make him what he is.

The same is true to an even greater extent of Bobby Petrino, whose Arkansas team in 2011 was probably the third-best team in the country behind Alabama and LSU. One year at Auburn in 2002? In and of itself not much - although his name was VERY prominent when Auburn hired Malzahn. Petrino only left because of the discovery of a legalized form of prostitution via the bike wreck. If not, he might.......ok MIGHT......still be in Arky.

But he had himself a pretty good team during the SEC monster era. He was 5-7 with Nutt's scumbags in 2008, lost by 3 on the road to the second-best team in the country in 2009 (and got killed by the champs), outcoached himself in a Sugar Bowl against Ohio State that he clearly should have won, and beat the 2nd best team in the Big 12 in the Cotton Bowl, losing only to the two best teams in the land by 24 each in 2011.

He built a good team during a difficult time so his SEC pedigree is paramount.

Dabo's is a little less since he was so young, that was so long ago, and anyone who coached under Mike Dubious probably wasn't very good to begin with (though Dabo deserves credit for overcoming that nonsense).

I'm not arguing that I'm taking that position, but it's a thought. The immediate counter will be to say, "Well, Cutcliffe spent all those years there and Duke isn't that good!" But surely: a) the extreme academic standards of Duke bear some of the burden; b) the fact Cutcliffe took them to their first bowl game in 18 years ought to mean something. He had three decent seasons in a row.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
What are we supposed to do? Hide from provocative articles? Ignore articles that are hyped up?

I have posted articles greatly exaggerated dissing the SEC or Alabama because it was funny. Then someone will get on a high-horse and claim I shouldn't let them make me mad, they are only wanting clicks. Who said I was mad? I wasn't. Living in the light of public opinion is hard. I pity coaches and players.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What are we supposed to do? Hide from provocative articles? Ignore articles that are hyped up?

I have posted articles greatly exaggerated dissing the SEC or Alabama because it was funny. Then someone will get on a high-horse and claim I shouldn't let them make me mad, they are only wanting clicks. Who said I was mad? I wasn't. Living in the light of public opinion is hard. I pity coaches and players.
I think you know exactly what you are going to get when you post something like that. The mass majority are going to go crazy and the realists are going to see right through it.

Keep in mind there are apparently a good portion of posters that say that they ONLY get their information from Tidefans.com. I mean seriously how can you not know about stories like "mike the Tiger, Lane Kiffin, and the Jacob Coker transfer" only because someone posts a thread.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Well, here's a thought for you.....

Eight of their head coaches have SEC experience and at least FIVE of those could be said to have SUBSTANTIAL SEC experience (it's a bit tricky including the Wake coach).

On top of that one of those coaches - dabaxter - was the self-appointed guy who would be here if Saban stayed in Miami.

It could VERY easily be argued that that SEC experience has contributed to the rise of the ACC. I'm not listing it as the SOLE CAUSE but........look at your top three programs, the same one's Forde mentioned.

These are excellent points. Thanks for looking all that up.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

To be fair, I wasn't being critical of you nor should folks here take it personal.

The angles get hyped up generally by journalists, who pretty much always use the most provocative title.

Thing is, if you weren't the one who brought it here someone else would. That article - by contrast with many - is actually quite sane and calm.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Note to Jimbo and ACC: College Football News ranks the top two conferences as follows for 2017

1. SEC
2. Pac 12

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/preseason-conference-rankings

I am sure other mags and sites will bear this out as well. My Phil Steele mags does not have this page and tells me it is on his site, but the link will not work.

I figured my stats this year eight different ways.

1. Average of National recruiting rank + Conference wins
2. Average of National recruiting rank + P5 wins
3. Average of National recruiting rank + FBS wins
4. Average of 1 & 2.
5. Average of 1, 2 & 3.
6. Average of National recruiting rank + P5 bowl and playoff games
7. Average of National recruiting rank + FBS bowl and playoff games
8. Average of 6 & 7

In all eight sets SEC is #1 and Pac 12 #2.

Note to self: I may have too much time on my hands.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When Dan Mullen is the second best coach in the conference then I say the SEC has regressed in terms of competition and stability. CNS has forced the hands of many ADs and chased off plenty of good coaches. I think if we are being honest:

1 ACC
2. SEC
3. B1G
4. PAC
5 Big 12
Who's schedule would you rather play?

Clemson's Conference Schedule:

at Louisville
BC at home
at VA Tech
Wake Forest at home
AT Syracuse
GA TEch at Home
at NC State
FSU at home

or

at Vandy
Ole Miss at home
at A&M
Arkansas at home
UT at home
LSU at home
at Miss State
at Auburn

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.