at Vandy
Ole Miss at home
at A&M
Arkansas at home
UT at home
LSU at home
at Miss State
at Auburn
You missed the point. If you are comparing Bama and Clemson or Bama and anyone there is no point. It's when you get into arguments about teams like LSU vs FSU and Miami vs Florida where you start to see. Then when you start to compare VT to Kentucky or Mizzou to Duke.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The rosters of our mid tier are still better than theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1) Who is our and their? I honestly have never got this conference pride thing.

2) Everything from the SEC mid tier ( Tennessee, aTm, and MSST) vs ( Duke, UNC, and Pitt) is a crapshoot, but aside from Mullen who are the coaches from those 3 SEC teams that you trust over Fedora and Cutcliff.

3) take away Alabama and your top of the conferences are pretty equal in coaching and overall talent. I mean how far apart are LSU and FSU or Clemson and Georgia.

I guess you can say Auburn is better than Louisville, but Louisville isn't as inconsistent under Petrino. I would probably still take Richt's Miami over most of the non championship SEC teams, but it's too early to see if Richt can recreate the 83-2002 type Miami teams yet so how good is in question.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
Who's schedule would you rather play?
For fun, I listed these in order of easiest to most difficult (IMO, of course):

8. Wake vs. @Vandy
7. BC vs. Ole Miss
6. @Syracuse vs. @Miss St
5. @NCSU vs. Arkansas
4. GT vs. UT
3. @VT vs. @aTm
2. @Loserville vs. LSU
1. FSU vs. @Auburn

Analysis:
8. Both of these are gimmes.
7. BC is solid on D, Ole Mess has too much off-field drama to be effective this year. Even.
6. Advantage Miss St.
5. NCSU is supposed to be pretty good this year and it's on the road, so (slight) advantage NCSU.
4. Chop Block U is always a tough out, but Botch is fighting for his job. Even?
3. Gotta go with my boys and say VT is the tougher out, especially on the road, but I can't really argue if you disagree.
2. Advantage LSU, even though UL is on the road.
1. Close. I think FSU is the better team, but it's @AU, so I'll call it even.

Given that, I think the schedules are pretty much equal. Honestly not trying to be an ACC homer but that's how I see it. Framed another way:

Tier 1: Clemson, FSU, Miami vs. Alabama, Auburn, Georgia: Advantage ACC.
Tier 2: Loserville, VT, GT vs. Florida, LSU, UT: Advantage SEC
Tier 3: NCSU, UNC, Pitt vs. aTm, Arkansas, USCe: Advantage ACC (?)
Tier 4: 'cuse, Wake, Dook vs. vs. Miss St., Kentucky, Vandy: Advantage neither.
Tier 5: BC, uva vs. mizzou, ole miss: Bletch.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I agree with him for the 2016 season, but it is one of those things that has to be proved every year. We shall see what happens in 2017. There is no doubt that of the 5 top all time SEC programs, 4 (LSU, UGA, UF and UT) have taken a step backward.
UT has but LSU, UF, and UGA with coaches in years 2 and 3 seem to be in the right direction. Alabama just happens to be in the same conference as them.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
This is the type of comment he could make if they beat us but I don't understand the logic behind it with a big game against us coming up. I'm glad he made it though if it helps get our guys fired up.
My thoughts exactly! let him crow and spout till kick off it'll just be bulletin board material for our guys;):BigA:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I'm fine with this. It will all be solved on the field. I wish Coach Saban's comments about playing only Power 5 teams will come true so that we can really have it all played out without the rhetoric... but then what will all the talking heads have to talk about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I could absolutely care less if we play in the best conference. The Last place team in the ACC can brag about being in the best conference.
But I can say this....I can "Proclaim" that Bama is the best football program in the country and we've never been afraid to play anybody anywhere, no matter what conference they're in.
Jimbo might as well get ready for a butt whuppin. That simple.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Fortunately, Dr Alabama was seen for a second opinion......and Dr South Carolina concurs with said diagnosis....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Tennessee beating GT could make for a real bad weekend on this assessment.

On the SEC Front...
South Carolina beat North Carolina St
Alabama beat Florida St

Around the Nation...
Cal beat North Carolina
Pitt narrowly beats FCS Youngstown St
Virginia struggled against FCS William & Mary
Heisman-winning QB Lamar Jackson & Louisville comes from behind to beat lowly Purdue

The ACC has lost every game of note in their week 1 slate thus far. A victory over Tennessee isn't likely to mean a ton but it would save face. Clemson looked like a champion receiving the victor's welcome in Death Valley yesterday afternoon. Perhaps the ACC is just living off Clemson's accomplishments and they're no different than the media assessment of the SEC!

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Tennessee beating GT could make for a real bad weekend on this assessment.

On the SEC Front...
South Carolina beat North Carolina St
Alabama beat Florida St

Around the Nation...
Cal beat North Carolina
Pitt narrowly beats FCS Youngstown St
Virginia struggled against FCS William & Mary
Heisman-winning QB Lamar Jackson & Louisville comes from behind to beat lowly Purdue

The ACC has lost every game of note in their week 1 slate thus far. A victory over Tennessee isn't likely to mean a ton but it would save face. Clemson looked like a champion receiving the victor's welcome in Death Valley yesterday afternoon. Perhaps the ACC is just living off Clemson's accomplishments and they're no different that the media assessment of the SEC!
I was about to post that Jimbo has a point, really, but this retires any notion of that. Good summary.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The ACC played six FCS teams this weekend. So why doesn't the national media whine about it the way they do when the SEC does it in November?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Doesn't fit the narrative.
The narrative is an attempt to do as I've said in the "rusty week 1" thread: the broadcasters want less dead weeks on their schedule and the SEC ain't playing ball in the second to last week. They're attempting to guide the narrative to enact change that benefits their pockets. They don't really care if half a conference is playing nobodies if everyone else is playing ball but the 2nd to last week is kinda lame across the country and worst in the SEC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.