Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 64
  1. #1
    BamaNation First Team CrimsonPassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Attalla, AL
    Posts
    595

    Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/move-se...225951336.html

    While it's true that they currently have the reigning Heisman winner and national championship team, I wouldn't say that the SEC is dead and buried just yet. I sure hope this lights a fire under our guys and motivates them to restore order in Atlanta this September!!

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    6,532

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    When Dan Mullen is the second best coach in the conference then I say the SEC has regressed in terms of competition and stability. CNS has forced the hands of many ADs and chased off plenty of good coaches. I think if we are being honest:

    1 ACC
    2. SEC
    3. B1G
    4. PAC
    5 Big 12

  4. #3
    BamaNation All-SEC dadleyblane5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DeFuniak Springs Fl.
    Posts
    1,535

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Yeah of course it is Jimbo, because the ACC owns the last 7 outta the last 12 years(?) BCS championships right?

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boaz, AL USA
    Posts
    9,240

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Well Jimbo, Big Game Bob says the bottom of the Big 12 can beat the bottom of the ACC.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

  6. #5
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    16,189

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonPassion View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/move-se...225951336.html

    While it's true that they currently have the reigning Heisman winner and national championship team, I wouldn't say that the SEC is dead and buried just yet. I sure hope this lights a fire under our guys and motivates them to restore order in Atlanta this September!!
    I agree with 81s points. However, real quick here......


    The ACC Atlantic is the only division that has the defending national champion (Clemson),

    A legitimate enough point - but any team can win one in a row, the SEC perception was built off of SEVEN in a row and an enviable bowl record...


    the defending Heisman Trophy winner (Louisville’s Lamar Jackson)


    Who went 0-2 against the SEC while blasting Florida State with 63 points, but let's not bring that inconvenient point up; maybe he ran up such huge stats BECAUSE he was in the ACC......

    Losing to LSU is one thing, losing to UK something else altogether

    and a preseason top-two team (Florida State)

    Wasn't Florida State ranked #2 last September when they gave up 63 points to the team that went 0-2 against the SEC and had the Heisman winner?


    I mean, there IS an argument to be made for the ACC but Forde made multiple terrible ones.

    A BETTER argument would be, "The ACC went 9-3 in bowl games last year while the SEC went 6-7."

    And btw - in BOTH title games the ACC team has proven their indisputable superiority ON THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME!!! It's not like they blew out Auburn in 13 or us last year. These are literally one play games that could go either way. That DOES mean the ACC has closed the gap at a minimum and as noted, 81 is correct.

    But this was a hack piece of irresponsible nonsense.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

  7. #6
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    6,532

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by dadleyblane5 View Post
    Yeah of course it is Jimbo, because the ACC owns the last 7 outta the last 12 years(?) BCS championships right?
    Yet in the last 4 years the SEC and ACC have faced off in the national championship 3 times with the ACC winning twice.

    The SEC from 04-13 was the best conference, but since 14 it's been Alabama/ LSU and the 12 dwarves. Now it can possibly be named Bama and the 13 dwarves. The ACC has the best collection of coaching talent around the conference and picking a winner of the conference is way harder to do than the SEC. Again when the conference has gone from who is the 2nd best coach in the conference between Urban and Les to Mullen is the clear 2nd best coach in your conference at MSU in a matter of 7 years (10-16) it's pretty telling.

  8. #7
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boaz, AL USA
    Posts
    9,240

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I agree with 81s points. However, real quick here......


    The ACC Atlantic is the only division that has the defending national champion (Clemson),

    A legitimate enough point - but any team can win one in a row, the SEC perception was built off of SEVEN in a row and an enviable bowl record...


    the defending Heisman Trophy winner (Louisville’s Lamar Jackson)


    Who went 0-2 against the SEC while blasting Florida State with 63 points, but let's not bring that inconvenient point up; maybe he ran up such huge stats BECAUSE he was in the ACC......

    Losing to LSU is one thing, losing to UK something else altogether

    and a preseason top-two team (Florida State)

    Wasn't Florida State ranked #2 last September when they gave up 63 points to the team that went 0-2 against the SEC and had the Heisman winner?


    I mean, there IS an argument to be made for the ACC but Forde made multiple terrible ones.

    A BETTER argument would be, "The ACC went 9-3 in bowl games last year while the SEC went 6-7."

    And btw - in BOTH title games the ACC team has proven their indisputable superiority ON THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME!!! It's not like they blew out Auburn in 13 or us last year. These are literally one play games that could go either way. That DOES mean the ACC has closed the gap at a minimum and as noted, 81 is correct.

    But this was a hack piece of irresponsible nonsense.
    I agree with you but I also want to use your valid use of bowl games to point out how fans of different conferences handle factual data. Not you Selma, the other conferences are always claiming that we can't go by bowl wins to show SEC dominance because of ESPN arranging matchups to promote the SEC and other baseless excuses. BUT now these same fans are pointing to the bowl games last year as PROOF the SEC has fallen. How funny is that?

    Those people can argue all they want to about bowl results but FACT remains the scores are FACT, not opinions. Will I take last years bowl scores and try to change fact to show the SEC is still the best? No, I will let the facts speak for themselves. I will say the SEC has had a couple of down years because of coaching problems. I can argue that without changing scores, and I fully expect future regular season and bowl games to reflect that. As long as the SEC dominates the Top 20 in recruiting I expect the SEC to dominate on the field.
    Last edited by Redwood Forrest; July 14th, 2017 at 06:54 AM.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

  9. #8
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    6,532

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    I agree with you but I also want to use your valid use of bowl games to point out how fans of different conferences handle factual data. Not you Selma, the other conferences are always claiming that we can't go by bowl wins to show SEC dominance because of ESPN arranging matchups to promote the SEC and other baseless excuses. BUT now these same fans are pointing to the bowl games last year as PROOF the SEC has fallen. How funny is that?

    Those people can argue all they want to about bowl results but FACT remains the scores are FACT, not opinions. Will I take last years bowl scores and try to change fact to show the SEC is still the best? No, I will let the facts speak for themselves. I will say the SEC has had a couple of down years because of coaching problems. I can argue that without changing scores, and I fully expect future regular season and bowl games to reflect that. As long as the SEC dominates the Top 20 in recruiting I expect the SEC to dominate on the field.
    The response I always use to the conference bowl records is "who cares and why should I?" I could give a rat's behind whether or not all 14 teams in the SEC made it and the overall record is 2-13 as long as Bama is those 2 wins. Conference pride is overrated imo. The truth is all of those other 13 teams as a whole don't cheer for us so why should I care for them. The only time I can think that I've ever cheered for another SEC team in that BCS run was for Florida in 06.

    But to break it down I would say as a whole the ACC is on an upward trend as a conference while the SEC is looking for Bama to keep them at #2.

  10. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14,363

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Let him talk. With a huge game on the horizon, this helps Alabama, not FSU.

  11. #10
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    12,821

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    I agree with him for the 2016 season, but it is one of those things that has to be proved every year. We shall see what happens in 2017. There is no doubt that of the 5 top all time SEC programs, 4 (LSU, UGA, UF and UT) have taken a step backward.
    Last edited by GrayTide; July 14th, 2017 at 09:09 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  12. #11
    REC | FB | BB Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    32,777

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Alternate headline: "Head Coach Believes His Conference is the Best Conference"
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  13. #12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    16,189

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    I agree with you but I also want to use your valid use of bowl games to point out how fans of different conferences handle factual data. Not you Selma, the other conferences are always claiming that we can't go by bowl wins to show SEC dominance because of ESPN arranging matchups to promote the SEC and other baseless excuses. BUT now these same fans are pointing to the bowl games last year as PROOF the SEC has fallen. How funny is that?
    I think the problem is that (and I agree with Stewart Mandel here) everyone including the pro-SEC contingent needs to realize that conference strength occurs in cycles; you simply cannot take ONE year and think that settles the case. The perception of SEC dominance was not built because LSU won the 2003 title - indeed, a lot of people at the time thought LSU was the THIRD best team in the country at best and that was before Nick Saban became Nick Legend.

    There are MANY problems with using bowl games. I think they ARE accurate if you can show a long-term trend of superiority. Go back during the SEC heyday and you had 9 or 10 SEC teams out of TWELVE (not 14) going to bowl games and the conference having records like 7-2, 6-3, and 6-3 across multiple consecutive years. That's a GOOD argument as long as it is PART of the argument. (This is kinda like the old Curry had better winning pct than Stallings argument pre-Alabama - it's true but it doesn't tell the whole story).

    Some coaches use the bowl game to get their first look at players playing the next year.
    Some enjoy the trip and to hell with whether we win or not.
    Some teams (insert 2011 Florida and 2013 Alabama and 2008 Alabama and 2006 OU) simply don't want to be in the game they're playing in.

    I had a Twitter pop with a guy who asserted ACC superiority last year and cited Clemson over Alabama and IIRC the ACC actually DID have a pretty good winning pct against the SEC (of course, counting Clemson over a rebuilding S Carolina proves nothing but anyway)......but when I pointed out the SEC's fourth or fifth best team (LSU) drilled the ACC's SECOND best team, he fell back on the bowl games are exhibitions excuse.

    Which is it?

    Yeah, the SEC West got creamed pretty good in bowl games in 2014 after looking great. The same happened with the Big Ten last year. But you don't get to SELECTIVELY cite bowl games. For Pete's sake, Louisville-Kentucky is an in state rivalry and Cats flat out BEAT Louisville, plain and simple. And UK isn't that good a team.


    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Those people can argue all they want to about bowl results but FACT remains the scores are FACT, not opinions. Will I take last years bowl scores and try to change fact to show the SEC is still the best? No, I will let the facts speak for themselves. I will say the SEC has had a couple of down years because of coaching problems. I can argue that without changing scores, and I fully expect future regular season and bowl games to reflect that. As long as the SEC dominates the Top 20 in recruiting I expect the SEC to dominate on the field.
    I recall several years ago the Mountain West nobodies were 2-0 against a major conference (Pac 10 I think, I don't pay THAT close attention to it).......no sane person would argue that the MWC top to bottom was better.


    What is NOT true that some SEC fans hold to is the old "number nine team in the SEC can beat all the conference champs" - that's NOT true at least most of the time.

    SEC football is in an imposed state of transition right now like everyone else. And the reason Clemson is the champ IN PART is because their coach took the SEC form of football to the ACC, but let's not point out that inconvenient truth, either.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

  14. #13
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    12,821

    Re: Jimbo Fisher Proclaims that the ACC is the Superior Conference

    Thanks to the 4 team playoff, the outcome of the other bowl games means nothing. It is a nice trip for the players and fans and the coaches get extra practice time.
    Last edited by GrayTide; July 14th, 2017 at 09:53 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!