Video of Brent Key Explaining a Jet Sweep Play
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Video of Brent Key Explaining a Jet Sweep Play

I know we all got tired of Kiffin's use of the jet sweep and/or motion. This video of Key gives another example of how it gives the defense so much trouble.

https://twitter.com/gipsysafety/stat...96461242462208

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Video of Brent Key Explaining a Jet Sweep Play

I think it was more of when he ran it near the goal line that drove people crazy, and when he did it and someone was out of sync.

The end zone view really gives you an idea of what the defense sees and how quick they must read and react to these type of plays. Really tests the discipline of players on other teams for sure.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I think it was more of when he ran it near the goal line that drove people crazy, and when he did it and someone was out of sync.
    Exactly.
    I guess CLK kept running it, and going with the jet motion guy, trying to force the defense to slightly modify their pre-snap alignment. If they haven't adjusted the way you wanted them to, run it again, and again, until they do. Then give it to the running back coming up in the middle.
    If the defense can shut this play down from their base alignment, however, and especially if they can get a tackle for loss, then this offense is in trouble on 2nd and 3rd down.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Agreed. It's plays like the one Key dissects that many of us forget when thinking of the jet sweep. We tend to think of the failed plays.

For some reason, the players tended to be out of sync, which led to the failed plays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

It only takes one guy on offense to be out of sync or not carry out his assignment and the play doesn't work. Sometimes last year we got to predictable on offense and went away from what would work or what was working.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderMan View Post
    It only takes one guy on offense to be out of sync or not carry out his assignment and the play doesn't work. Sometimes last year we got to predictable on offense and went away from what would work or what was working.
    LSU's defense sure how it figured out. Crash the ends, attack the mesh point and if you can't get there in time and it's a pass, get up in the air and bat the ball. LSU benefited from a lot of tape to study by that time in the year.
    Now, LSU's D was extraordinarily talented, but so will the Ds Bama will face by that point in the year onward: LSU, MSU (Meh), pre-Barn cupcake (not so much), Barn, SECCG, Playoff game 1, Championship.

BamaNation All-American Bama Lee's Avatar

on plays like that there are multiple reads made by lineman, RB's and the QB. Each predicate what play will be ultimately run.
    Ya gotta believe!!!!

Football and Basketball Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    LSU's defense sure how it figured out. Crash the ends, attack the mesh point and if you can't get there in time and it's a pass, get up in the air and bat the ball. LSU benefited from a lot of tape to study by that time in the year.
    Now, LSU's D was extraordinarily talented, but so will the Ds Bama will face by that point in the year onward: LSU, MSU (Meh), pre-Barn cupcake (not so much), Barn, SECCG, Playoff game 1, Championship.
    Should've ran the toss out of the shotgun some in that game but what's done is done.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Aranda basically said " hit #2 and #13". I think he was willing to let dameon and Bo gash them every now and then, but wasn't going to let Stewart or Jalen bust them on a jet sweep.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Exactly.
    I guess CLK kept running it, and going with the jet motion guy, trying to force the defense to slightly modify their pre-snap alignment. If they haven't adjusted the way you wanted them to, run it again, and again, until they do. Then give it to the running back coming up in the middle.
    If the defense can shut this play down from their base alignment, however, and especially if they can get a tackle for loss, then this offense is in trouble on 2nd and 3rd down.
    Kiffin is like Spurrier in the 90's in that he will run a gadget play until you prove you can stop it, but hates to depend on a physical running game in the clutch. Spurrier had one advantage in that he had the best SEC quarterback in the 90's at his disposal so it really helped when no one could stop you in the SEC

Exactly.
    that drove me nuts last year. we got behind on 1st down what seemed like every other series.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    The end zone view really gives you an idea of what the defense sees and how quick they must read and react to these type of plays. Really tests the discipline of players on other teams for sure.
    It's brutal - it's like the triple option but it can go in three different directions instantly.
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.