Video of Brent Key Explaining a Jet Sweep Play

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think it was more of when he ran it near the goal line that drove people crazy, and when he did it and someone was out of sync.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The end zone view really gives you an idea of what the defense sees and how quick they must read and react to these type of plays. Really tests the discipline of players on other teams for sure.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think it was more of when he ran it near the goal line that drove people crazy, and when he did it and someone was out of sync.
Exactly.
I guess CLK kept running it, and going with the jet motion guy, trying to force the defense to slightly modify their pre-snap alignment. If they haven't adjusted the way you wanted them to, run it again, and again, until they do. Then give it to the running back coming up in the middle.
If the defense can shut this play down from their base alignment, however, and especially if they can get a tackle for loss, then this offense is in trouble on 2nd and 3rd down.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agreed. It's plays like the one Key dissects that many of us forget when thinking of the jet sweep. We tend to think of the failed plays.

For some reason, the players tended to be out of sync, which led to the failed plays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
It only takes one guy on offense to be out of sync or not carry out his assignment and the play doesn't work. Sometimes last year we got to predictable on offense and went away from what would work or what was working.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It only takes one guy on offense to be out of sync or not carry out his assignment and the play doesn't work. Sometimes last year we got to predictable on offense and went away from what would work or what was working.
LSU's defense sure how it figured out. Crash the ends, attack the mesh point and if you can't get there in time and it's a pass, get up in the air and bat the ball. LSU benefited from a lot of tape to study by that time in the year.
Now, LSU's D was extraordinarily talented, but so will the Ds Bama will face by that point in the year onward: LSU, MSU (Meh), pre-Barn cupcake (not so much), Barn, SECCG, Playoff game 1, Championship.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
on plays like that there are multiple reads made by lineman, RB's and the QB. Each predicate what play will be ultimately run.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU's defense sure how it figured out. Crash the ends, attack the mesh point and if you can't get there in time and it's a pass, get up in the air and bat the ball. LSU benefited from a lot of tape to study by that time in the year.
Now, LSU's D was extraordinarily talented, but so will the Ds Bama will face by that point in the year onward: LSU, MSU (Meh), pre-Barn cupcake (not so much), Barn, SECCG, Playoff game 1, Championship.
Should've ran the toss out of the shotgun some in that game but what's done is done.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Aranda basically said " hit #2 and #13". I think he was willing to let dameon and Bo gash them every now and then, but wasn't going to let Stewart or Jalen bust them on a jet sweep.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Exactly.
I guess CLK kept running it, and going with the jet motion guy, trying to force the defense to slightly modify their pre-snap alignment. If they haven't adjusted the way you wanted them to, run it again, and again, until they do. Then give it to the running back coming up in the middle.
If the defense can shut this play down from their base alignment, however, and especially if they can get a tackle for loss, then this offense is in trouble on 2nd and 3rd down.
Kiffin is like Spurrier in the 90's in that he will run a gadget play until you prove you can stop it, but hates to depend on a physical running game in the clutch. Spurrier had one advantage in that he had the best SEC quarterback in the 90's at his disposal so it really helped when no one could stop you in the SEC

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Exactly.
that drove me nuts last year. we got behind on 1st down what seemed like every other series.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The end zone view really gives you an idea of what the defense sees and how quick they must read and react to these type of plays. Really tests the discipline of players on other teams for sure.
It's brutal - it's like the triple option but it can go in three different directions instantly.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I always wanted to see Power Football when we got down close. Line it up and gut it out. Run the ball straight at them, and dare them to stop us. I love to watch a RB get behind one of the Big Uglies and follow him into the End Zone. ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I always wanted to see Power Football when we got down close. Line it up and gut it out. Run the ball straight at them, and dare them to stop us. I love to watch a RB get behind one of the Big Uglies and follow him into the End Zone. ;)
The problem with being a totally power run team is that if you get challenged by a team that sells out for it that has an explosive passing game then you are begging for attrition to kick in or miracles. On the flip side you can't be running gadget plays every other plays or you are gassing your defense. I really think the key in football is to have a very capable passing game with a dominant running game, or a dominant passing game with a very capable running game. Point is you need to be able to score a lot while controlling the game.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I just wish we had Daboll last year with the best tight end in the country that always seemed to be lost in the game plan. Tom Brady makes a living throwing the ball to the TE.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I just wish we had Daboll last year with the best tight end in the country that always seemed to be lost in the game plan. Tom Brady makes a living throwing the ball to the TE.
Tom Brady throws to the most physically gifted tight end, ever. Gronk is in another class when healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.