Link: Chris Spielman Suing Ohio State and Others Over Likeness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chris Spielman Suing Ohio State and Others Over Likeness

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Chris Spielman Suing Ohio State and Others Over Likeness

This one will probably be settled out of court, but I could see it leading to a larger class action suit in the future representing lesser known players. I have heard it suggested that this suit would never have happened if they had just asked him first. Players like Spielman have egos, but they also tend to have close ties to their schools. Still, you have to ask.

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Where does this end. Practically every player had their image in a game program that was sold by the school at one point. Are current player required to sign a release? Will there be language in each scholarship offer that require the release of the players image as part of acceptance?
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar

Where does this end.
    The school may need for the player to sign off on the use of his likeness for things like programs or having his image on TV during games.

I agree no one should make money off someones image unless that someone is at least getting free publicity. Not everyone can get paid even if they take a pretty picture. This shouldn't be so hard to figure out.

Soon nobody makes anything but the lawyers. It is a greedy litigious world we live in. Should all cameras be licensed? I may be all for doing away with the paparazzy.

Of course I probably need to read what the complaint is and what this particular case is about.

I think the main thing here is that players' likeness and pictures were being used in advertisements or sponsorships for Honda, Nike, etc. I don't think there would be any issues with just having pictures in programs or signs in the stadiums as long as it was not part of an ad.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

A company should pay the people and or images of people in their adds. Period.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

Football and Basketball Moderator

I for one welcome the destruction of amateurism.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    A company should pay the people and or images of people in their adds. Period.
    Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    And agree.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elefantman View Post
    Are current player required to sign a release? Will there be language in each scholarship offer that require the release of the players image as part of acceptance?
    They already do, it's called the cost of attendance and was mentioned at the end of the article. It only covers the players image/likeness during their time in school. Once they leave, a school or ad firm should be required to negotiate with each player to be able to continue use there likeness. I would have thought this was common since but I guess not. I mean if you tried to use the schools likeness to make money without permission they'd come after you. Should be the same way with ex-players.

I do think that the re-airing or sell of classic broadcast should be exempt as long as the school isn't using a specific players likeness to advertise the past broadcast. So Auburn couldn't say "own Cam's greatest moments". Instead they'd have to say something like "relive the greatest moments of 2010".

The poster formerly known as RollTide1017

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post

I do think that the re-airing or sell of classic broadcast should be exempt as long as the school isn't using a specific players likeness to advertise the past broadcast. So Auburn couldn't say "own Cam's greatest moments". Instead they'd have to say something like "relive the greatest moments of 2010".

"I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

I lived in Knoxville when Peyton was playing there.

I once saw an ad on the side of a bus for a car dealer. The ad had a painting of someone wearing an orange jersey with the number 16. He had on a white helmet and was in a throwing motion.

Now, Manning's face and name were not in the picture. Also, nowhere did it indicate this was supposed to be a Vol football player. (The helmet was blank).

But it was pretty clear what they were trying to do. To me, that was just plain wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    It could hurt many players if they decide to forgo college. On the other hand the college teams would be made up of true students. The play on the field would not be what it is, but it would put the student back into student athlete. It would take some pressure off High Schools to give passing grades to athletes just so they have a chance to play pro ball. Very few kids would make sports their college major. I can see good and bad either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I lived in Knoxville when Peyton was playing there.

I once saw an ad on the side of a bus for a car dealer. The ad had a painting of someone wearing an orange jersey with the number 16. He had on a white helmet and was in a throwing motion.

Now, Manning's face and name were not in the picture. Also, nowhere did it indicate this was supposed to be a Vol football player. (The helmet was blank).

But it was pretty clear what they were trying to do. To me, that was just plain wrong.
    IMO, that's borderline fine. Yes, they're likely capitalizing off of his popularity, but that's potentially a defensible position.

That said, I'd never do that with one of my businesses. Nope.

Using the actual likeness is a whole other level, and I hope Spielman wins this. Just because you played there doesn't mean the school owns your likeness forever.
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.