MN cop kills woman who called 911 to report a noise that she heard outside her home

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, not to play "blame the victim," but I'm not sure I would have gone out to meet the cops in the dark like that. When they wanted to speak to the person who called in the 911 call, they could have knocked on my door. Plus, if I was a woman and believed a sexual assault is going on outside my house, I don't know if I would have gone out to investigate.
I had some of the same thoughts. OTOH, it continues to disturb me that I can't think of any reason to do what he did. How damned scary could she look, anyway?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If I'm that guy's partner, I am never riding with him again. What if he had leaned forward to get a better look at the lady at the exact moment the other guy pulled the trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If I'm that guy's partner, I am never riding with him again. What if he had leaned forward to get a better look at the lady at the exact moment the other guy pulled the trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm gonna go WAY out on a limb and say you'd probably have a toe tag at the morgue.

I keep just hoping there's some rationale here, but just like on the basis of what I know with the Castile case in the same state, I literally cannot find any. I worked a year as LEO on a military installation. I understand that you get 'startled,' but that's NOT justification for this. You can't just shoot because you're startled. I mean at least in most of these cases - whatever folks thought - one could make the argument of danger for the officer (the Ferguson case in particular).

And fwiw CNN finally got with the program several days late, finally reporting who did the shooting multiple days after everyone else was already telling us.

I have no particular reaction on the basis of the color of the people involved because that literally shouldn't be our concern anyway. The woman is still dead, nothing indicates she acted in any way inappropriately, and what this cop did I cannot make sense of in any sort of way. I think some of the hateful stuff I read online ("he was invoking Sharia") is incredibly unfair. Does anyone really think this is the first time he had to deal with a white American woman given he was on the police force in a large city for over two years?

This appears to me to be one of those cases where the officer could unquestionably be held for...well, I'm not a lawyer but perhaps manslaughter or negligent homicide (whatever the distinctions in those laws). I try to support LEO because God knows we need them (society without them would be far worse), but cases like this make it very difficult.

I'm led by the evidence thus far to conclude the officer was totally in the wrong (and reserve the right to change my mind if other evidence comes to light).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, not to play "blame the victim," but I'm not sure I would have gone out to meet the cops in the dark like that. When they wanted to speak to the person who called in the 911 call, they could have knocked on my door. Plus, if I was a woman and believed a sexual assault is going on outside my house, I don't know if I would have gone out to investigate.
And not to take her side but - are things different in Australia, where she was from? Well, I guess in one way because I seem to recall reading they have some really stringent gun control. If that's the case, she may have assumed the officer assumed she couldn't possibly be a threat (for the most part).

I don't know, I'm just sickened by the death of the woman.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Automatic body cams for police.

http://whnt.com/2017/07/23/new-bodycams-start-recording-with-the-draw-of-a-gun/

Axon, formerly known as Taser International, plans to release new body cameras in late September that start recording automatically the moment a gun leaves its holster.
The Axon Signal Sidearm Holster is a device that will “alert all Axon cameras within a 30-foot radius” to start recording. Company spokesman Steve Tuttle said the device has a sensor that mounts to the outside of the holster and detects when the gun is drawn.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.