Jeff Sessions Seeking to Increase Police Seizures/Civil Forfeitures.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Sad to say, but I'm voting for Mo "I'm reading the KJV until the wall is built" Brooks in the primary. Anything to get crooked Luther and Roy Moore away from the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I read what he said I wondered what the kjv had to do with a wall on the border.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Brooks is the intellectual equal of Sessions, so there'd be a certain symmetry.
I just want Strange out and keep Moore out. Call it the least of three evils.

It will be a futile gesture, but I will likely vote for Doug Jones in the general election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here's another one. Traffic stop. Guy (stupidly) carrying $91k in his car. Cops impound the cash.
“It’s been complete [Auburn]”: how police used a traffic stop to take $91,800 from an innocent man
This has just got to stop. This is completely oppressive reckless and irresponsible. Revolutions have been made from less material.

For the young people out there, a few rules.
1. Wear your seat belt and obey the traffic laws (especially if you're car has out-of-state plates).
2. Under no circumstances are you to give consent to the cops to search your vehicle.
3. Don't carry cash (certainly not $91,800 in cash). There is this thing called a "cashier's check" and a "postal money order." Check those out.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Here's another one. Traffic stop. Guy (stupidly) carrying $91k in his car. Cops impound the cash.
“It’s been complete [Auburn]”: how police used a traffic stop to take $91,800 from an innocent man
This has just got to stop. This is completely oppressive reckless and irresponsible. Revolutions have been made from less material.

For the young people out there, a few rules.
1. Wear your seat belt and obey the traffic laws (especially if you're car has out-of-state plates).
2. Under no circumstances are you to give consent to the cops to search your vehicle.
3. Don't carry cash (certainly not $91,800 in cash). There is this thing called a "cashier's check" and a "postal money order." Check those out.
this was from the article

Police brought in a drug-sniffing dog. According to Parhamovich, an officer used a ball to lure the dog to the car and get the canine to act up — and justify a search.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
How many times must a sniffer dog "alert" on a dry hole before it can no longer be considered probable cause for a search?
i think the answer to that is there is always a "probable cause" for search.

i have read that this is a somewhat common tactic, cuing the dog to "alert"

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
i think the answer to that is there is always a "probable cause" for search.

i have read that this is a somewhat common tactic, cuing the dog to "alert"
I guess, but if that "alert" proves to be inaccurate enough times, that would seem to be grounds for rejecting sniffer dogs (or one particularly inept sniffer dog) as probably cause.
I mean, if a cop said, "I checked my horoscope, and the horoscope said that a car with Illinois plates was carrying drugs in my county," that probably would not stand up in court as probable cause.

If the cop said, "I wear a mood ring and my mood ring says ..."

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I guess, but if that "alert" proves to be inaccurate enough times, that would seem to be grounds for rejecting sniffer dogs (or one particularly inept sniffer dog) as probably cause.
I mean, if a cop said, "I checked my horoscope, and the horoscope said that a car with Illinois plates was carrying drugs in my county," that probably would not stand up in court as probable cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_v._Harris

Decision[edit]
The United States Supreme Court returned a unanimous decision on February 19, 2013, ruling against Harris and overturning the ruling of the Florida Supreme Court.[28] In the unanimous opinion, Justice Elena Kagan stated that the dog's certification and continued training are adequate indication of his reliability, and thus is sufficient to presume the dog's alert provides probable cause to search, using the "totality-of-the-circumstances" test per Illinois v. Gates. She wrote that the Florida Supreme Court instead established "a strict evidentiary checklist", where "an alert cannot establish probable cause ... unless the State introduces comprehensive documentation of the dog’s prior 'hits' and 'misses' in the field ... No matter how much other proof the State offers of the dog’s reliability, the absent field performance records will preclude a finding of probable cause."[29]

The Court did not, however, rule out the questioning of reliability where specific grounds are present.[28] Kagan also stated that "a defendant must have an opportunity to challenge such evidence of a dog’s reliability, whether by cross-examining the testifying officer or by introducing his own fact or expert witnesses. The defendant may contest training or testing standards as flawed, or too lax, or raise an issue regarding the particular alert."[30]

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

one would think that would be the case.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i have no idea how valid it is, but i have heard that similar to not consenting to the vehicle being searched, it is a good idea to object/not offer consent to a dog being used if they suggest doing so.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
i have no idea how valid it is, but i have heard that similar to not consenting to the vehicle being searched, it is a good idea to object/not offer consent to a dog being used if they suggest doing so.
My high school buddy/current lawyer gave me a business card with a script on the back worded to thwart police officer who are fishing for something. He practises in a nearby college town in which the cops get a bit "over-eager."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My high school buddy/current lawyer gave me a business card with a script on the back worded to thwart police officer who are fishing for something. He practises in a nearby college town in which the cops get a bit "over-eager."
i think i saw it on some similar type thing. luckily, i've never been put in that situation

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.