Jeff Sessions Seeking to Increase Police Seizures/Civil Forfeitures.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rom-american-citizens/?utm_term=.093f479dbbab

Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday said he'd be issuing a new directive this week aimed at increasing police seizures of cash and property.

“We hope to issue this week a new directive on asset forfeiture — especially for drug traffickers,” Sessions said in his prepared remarks for a speech to the National District Attorney's Association in Minneapolis. "With care and professionalism, we plan to develop policies to increase forfeitures. No criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime. Adoptive forfeitures are appropriate as is sharing with our partners."

Asset forfeiture is a disputed practice that allows law enforcement officials to permanently take money and goods from individuals suspected of crime. There is little disagreement among lawmakers, authorities and criminal justice reformers that “no criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime.” But in many cases, neither a criminal conviction nor even a criminal charge is necessary — under forfeiture laws in most states and at the federal level, mere suspicion of wrongdoing is enough to allow police to seize items permanently.

Additionally, many states allow law enforcement agencies to keep cash that they seize, creating what critics characterize as a profit motive. The practice is widespread: In 2014, federal law enforcement officers took more property from citizens than burglars did. State and local authorities seized untold millions more.
Thanks Jeff, keep on being an embarrassment to this state.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Geez, Jeff, wth? Also, he wants to outlaw weed and overturn the states that passed laws legalizing it. What a maroon.

What's next? Oral sex? Mini-skirts? Man buns? (I'm actually ok outlawing man buns ;) )

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A step in the wrong direction.
I get the whole "law and order" thing, but the dodge of "We're not accusing the individual of anything. We're accusing that pile of money he was carrying and piles of money have no due process rights," is completely unsatisfactory. If the Crown had tried to make that argument in 1775, the colonists would have reached for their guns. Oh, wait...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
funny that the "Bigger Government Party" tried like mad to curtail this behavior as much as possible
Both parties are the big government party. They just focus on intruding in your life in different ways.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Won't be long
I tell you what, these DC clowns (and I mean virtually every government official in DC) keep this crap up and they won't like the result. We'll only take so much, and this 'asset forfeiture' crap is one step too far. Go ahead, Sessions, keep pushing this crap and we'll see what happens.

Both parties have continued to infringe upon everyone's personal freedoms for as long as I've been alive (and much longer than that) - they just throw us a bone every now and then to make us feel like they're on our side. They're not.

I've felt for a long time things would spin out of control in this country at some point, and if they keep piling up these sorts of abuses, it will happen. And the noose will be the right thing for people abusing the citizens.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Sad to say, but I'm voting for Mo "I'm reading the KJV until the wall is built" Brooks in the primary. Anything to get crooked Luther and Roy Moore away from the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
This initiative isn't playing well, on the sites a lot of you detest. Even on TrumpBart, it is getting trashed.
I'm not that surprised. In most places I've seen this thing is not remotely popular on either side of the fence. Which of course is why Granny Sessions is trying to push it - same as marijuana stuff. He's trying to be Barney Fife sixty years behind the times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.