Do we punt too much in football?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Re: Do we punt too way much in football?

I don't think football is a simple game of math. Emotion is very much in play. Coaches probably worry that if one 4th down conversion fails that it will give the opponent too much momentum that may last for the remainder of the game. I also think coaches punt a lot to show respect for the opponent. If they go for 4th down frequently they are basically saying to the opponent " I don't think your defense is good enough to stop us but if you do happen to stop us your offense isn't good enough to score."

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I'm with CNS,... end all drives with a kick. Whether it's a punt, field goal or extra point. As y'all probably already know, sometimes a punt is the best weapon you can have in a certain situation, especially when we've got a punter like JK Scott.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Give your players the confidence and have confidence in your players to get the job done. Yes, I think teams (including UA) punt too much. If I'm on your side of the 50...most of the time...I'm going for it. Especially with a defense like Bama has.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This might be the case if your team is the only one playing this strategy. However, if both teams elect to forego punting in the game, then it seems to me, as it usually does, the team with the best defense that day will win.

Statistically you might not convert on a particular drive on 4th down but it may well cost you the game. Then the next game you win by 40 pts because the ball bounced your way.

Another thing likely not addressed is i think there would be a lot of predictability in 4th down play calling which could diminish the effectiveness of the strategy over the course of a season. When you try to run low percentage plays on 4th down just to maintain the element of surprise it would the percentages start working against you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Give your players the confidence and have confidence in your players to get the job done. Yes, I think teams (including UA) punt too much. If I'm on your side of the 50...most of the time...I'm going for it. Especially with a defense like Bama has.
With great defenses, field position is huge. Back in 2007-2012 every ten yards mattered. Not so much anymore.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This might be the case if your team is the only one playing this strategy. However, if both teams elect to forego punting in the game, then it seems to me, as it usually does, the team with the best defense that day will win.

Statistically you might not convert on a particular drive on 4th down but it may well cost you the game. Then the next game you win by 40 pts because the ball bounced your way.

Another thing likely not addressed is i think there would be a lot of predictability in 4th down play calling which could diminish the effectiveness of the strategy over the course of a season. When you try to run low percentage plays on 4th down just to maintain the element of surprise it would the percentages start working against you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
But, if a team knows you always go on 4th, then 3rd down offense changes significantly. Especially on 3rd and short. Teams now play to stop 3 downs. If you don't punt that changes and the D has to defend the marker four times, every time.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Gus wan known for never punting while he was at Shiloh. Logical to do so at the high school level because offense tends to dominate the game, but not at the FBS level.
How do we know the logic is right though? Kinda like in Moneyball they had numbers that showed sac bunts are pointless and used it to their advantage. It is just the manager being safe. End the end they just waste an out which is one less opportunity for the offense to score.

Maybe there is some "new" knowledge like that waiting to be exploited in CFB.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Hard to argue with that. Always the best conversation killer.
Except the conversation isn't really does Alabama punt too much. The conversation is do teams in general punt too much. As for your "conversation killer," CNS's football philosophy seems to be an ever changing one. So it isn't like something set in stone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.