Doubting Alabama?

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Was out of town last week and have finally had a chance to watch the Alabama portion of Media Days. I've never really given much relevance to the media pundits from ESPN, but it seems to me the way they are talking they are really, and I mean really, talking down the Crimson Tide.

My question is have we reached the point where everybody starts saying "The Dynasty is Dead" again?

I understand this is the same media that has picked Alabama to win the SEC, but it's hard to miss, in my opinion, the doubt in their dialogue. I'm not wanting everybody to just salivate over Bama, but at least balanace it out.

Maybe I need to remind myself this is ESPN and it's what they do. I do like being the hunter, though.

And Jordan Rogers is irritating and needs a haircut.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think it kinda goes back to understanding the media and understanding the attitudes towards success

1) media- I don't want to dive too far into this because every time I say this it usually is ignored. The truth is 95% of the talking heads are reading off a script and are either given a WWE hero or heel persona. Point is they don't believe 90% of the crap they spit out. There are few that do, but they vary from the insanely stupid like rob Parker to the truly insightful like May and Magini. But the media is out to get ratings and views from people around the country anyway possible. Which brings me to point #2

2) how the media attracts people: most people want to be entertained and they love something that goes against the norm.

Examples

If I was to tell you a highly advanced alien race was going to invade would you rather hear the most likely truth that " we all are going to die" or that " we stand a .001% chance of winning."? No one outside Bama and Patriots fans want to hear the truth that the most consistently dominate teams are more likely to win the championship.

But then those folks after reality sets in after they see CNS and belichick hoisting another trophy want the media to tell them " why is it going to be different this time?" That's where you get stories and stances ranging from the somewhat plausible like " scheduling , experience,and competition increasing" to the ludicrous ones like " CNS enjoys boating more than what he did in 2007 and what Gisele did to change Brady's diet".

Point is that it isn't as much about doubting as it is about ratings. The media never favors a dynasty, especially those dynasties that don't kiss their egos like Bama and the Patriots.

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I tend to lean toward the viewpoint that many media members have to look at the statistical analysis. In that, statistically, a program will not be as highly successful year in and year out this many consecutive seasons. So I could see some pundits making a case point in that regard.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I tend to lean toward the viewpoint that many media members have to look at the statistical analysis. In that, statistically, a program will not be as highly successful year in and year out this many consecutive seasons. So I could see some pundits making a case point in that regard.
The problem there is twofold. First, unless you're talking about a PhD level, statistical analysis presupposes random distribution of outcomes. Whereas success or failure of a football program is anything but a random outcome. And I'd trust a talking head or ink-stained wretch to understand that about as much as I would my cat.

Second, given that they generally don't have a stinkin clue about critical analysis, and they usually do have egos that won't fit in a stadium, I think it's a desire to be the first to make the call.

One day, this run will end. And the first to make the assessment will trumpet it to heaven from Mt. Everest. Meanwhile, if they're wrong, they count on the gnat-like memory of the general public to forget all about that.

Small chance of a big win; big chance of a miss, but virtually 100% chance that nobody will remember the miss.

Did I mention that I have no faith whatsoever in news media of any type?

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
Actually, they are not wrong. If they keep saying this sooner or later they will be correct! Nothing last for ever. But every tide has an ebb and flow, we did really well last year, came up a little short. May have ( I hope not) a off year this year, we lost a lot on Defense, however I don't think this will be the case. But this is why they play the games. If not Ohio State or ND would be national champs every year.

As far as the media goes, a few of the boys and girls at ESPN actually know what they are talking about. But only a few. Then again if I knew as much as CNS, I wouldn't be typing this right now.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Was out of town last week and have finally had a chance to watch the Alabama portion of Media Days. I've never really given much relevance to the media pundits from ESPN, but it seems to me the way they are talking they are really, and I mean really, talking down the Crimson Tide.

My question is have we reached the point where everybody starts saying "The Dynasty is Dead" again?

I understand this is the same media that has picked Alabama to win the SEC, but it's hard to miss, in my opinion, the doubt in their dialogue. I'm not wanting everybody to just salivate over Bama, but at least balanace it out.

Maybe I need to remind myself this is ESPN and it's what they do. I do like being the hunter, though.

And Jordan Rogers is irritating and needs a haircut.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
Ah, how quickly you forget Danny Kannell. :cool:

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Thanks all. Was apparently tired last night and watching "experts" talk about the team even before they've played one snap got under my skin.

When does fall camp start? It's time to quit talkin.

Thanks for bringing up Kannel. Rogers is just as irritating.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't doubt Alabama with Saban at the helm, but this will end eventually. Enjoy this while you can. It probably won't happen again in our lifetimes.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
If the media wants to doubt Alabama for any reason, let them. Coach Saban has proven his track record, and I'd pick him over every other team in college football. When he leaves to coach the ducks at Lake Burton, it'll be interesting to see how Alabama handles the next hire - hopefully they learned something from the post-Bryant era.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Ah, how quickly you forget Danny Kannell. :cool:
I would much rather listen to Jordan Rodgers than Danny Kannell. Anytime I turned on ESPN and D. K. was on the air, I turned the channel as quickly as I could. I just didn't want to listen to his FSU bias and his anti-anything Bama bias!!!!!!! At least Jordan graduated from a decent academic university.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I don't doubt Alabama with Saban at the helm, but this will end eventually. Enjoy this while you can. It probably won't happen again in our lifetimes.
They say all good things must end, but .......

The current winning may end, but with a very good coach the winning will happen again. Just look at the past: Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Paul W. Bryant, Gene Stallings, and Nick Saban. After Coach Saban, the story of the Crimson Tide will continue. We just need good decisions regarding who will replace him or his replacement. Don't make the same mistake made by J. T. or the one made after G. S.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The media likes an upset or cinderella story.

I know we love it, but everybody is tired of Alabama winning the SEC.

This year if we do it'll be 4 straight!!! Or, 5 out of the last 6. Enjoy the ride and let everybody else moan and groan.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Everybody loves the underdog. Alabama has won so much that everyone is pulling for us to lose. Like RASSLING the Media's script is to pull for the 97 lb. weakling to beat up Hulk Hogan. (Alabama)
(Doesn't happen too often)

Alabama is a victim of our own success. Every week there is a unlikely scenario the media prays for, where weird events hand a victory to someone else, anyone else...

It's preseason, a long hot Summer, and the media is attempting to stir up the masses.
They can say what they will, but the Vegas money will again be on about 6 great teams to win a National Championship.

We have a pretty good schedule, play some good teams, and will start the year near the top in everyone's polls. We may be the team to beat.
IF, WE START THE YEAR BY BEATING FSU.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I don't know about that, four of the five guys with statues in front of the stadium coached at Bama during my lifetime, why not go for five out of six? After all, I do plan to be around a while longer...

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
The media is hoping that FSU will beat us. I remember something similar with Clemson, Michigan, Wisconsin and USCw being our opening games. They are even saying that FSU is the best team we've ever opened with. So how do they shift that narrative if we beat them like a drum? I always hear the build up, then after we roll over the first game they say we don't schedule tough games or play anybody.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't know about that, four of the five guys with statues in front of the stadium coached at Bama during my lifetime, why not go for five out of six? After all, I do plan to be around a while longer...
What is happening now at Alabama has never happened before, even at Alabama.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think any "dynasty is dead" doubting Alabama stuff is made up by fans. I see the exact opposite everywhere I look.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.